Around WA in 9000kms...

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 11:47
ThreadID: 53511 Views:2715 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
It’s taken me a few days to unpack the Mighty Mazda and get everything back in order, but now life returns to normal :(
Funny how you look forward to a big trip for so long and then suddenly it’s over…
Anyway, we did just under 9000kms all told and had an absolute blast. I lived up to my ExplorOz sticker, and EVERY town we went past, we popped in and had a look-see. The Tanami was great, but the Great Central Highway was as boring as bat poo. I ended up driving 21 hours on the last day getting back to Alice as I just had a strange feeling about camping anywhere from Cosmo Newberry to Uluru. As it was, I had a badly shredded tyre 43kms past Warburton (which has been suggested that it WASN’T an accident…), so we lost heaps of time sorting it out. Ended up driving until 1am to Uluru and having to stop because the fuel station was closed.
We kipped in the truck (or on top in some cases!) a few times along the road in other areas and all was 100% fine – except that road. Call it my gut instinct I don’t know.
We took the road less traveled from Southern Cross because of the bush fires and had no idea what lay ahead. But it sure beat the hell out of traveling down to Esperance to get to Alice! I had water, sat phone and a map so what the heck. We had a blast!
Having just arrived in Aus, we used this trip to investigate life in general on the “outside” and to see where we could live once our “time” was up.
And we found that there could be many other places “worse” to live in than here!
We now have this long list of places! What a great country! We met some amazing people, saw fantastic scenery (apart from the Pilbara which has heaps of…NOTHING!) We miss the African wildlife along the road, but have shifted to lizards (flipping suicidal creatures on the road!), bats, camels (both at night and daytime) and dingos.
As for the diving and snorkeling in Exmouth and down to Perth including Rottnest Islandwell, we didn’t want to come back to Central Australia! It was paradise. Hot. Flipping hot, but well worth it.
The Mighty Mazda? Of course it performed great; still very impressed with it. Ha ha the aircon exploded AS we hit Alice – good timing! I have solved my pinging/pinking problem. It got so bad in Perth that I was about to drive it into the sea, so I whacked the vacuum advance unit to half it’s movement distance. It was a case of either not get out the driveway, or no noise. Turns out I have not had a ping in the last 3500kms and it’s pulling like a machine! Petrol consumption improved markedly as well.
Took a ton of spares and of course didn’t use anything – Murphy’s Law.
I cannot believe how the petrol price fluctuates like it does here – horrible!
I feel I’m over the long distance outback exploration thing now. Lots of nothing out there unless you are going to a specific destination. And yes, summer is not the best time, but I had to experience it. Looking forward to doing lots of weekend stuff now trying to out-do the Landy’s and Cruisers of my mates in the “tricky stuff” (he he he)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:03

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:03
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you've just scratched the surface of this country. I've been travelling around and through it for 35 years, and I'm in the same boat.
Can't see what the problem is with the GCR. Camped along there a few times without any problems.
Lots of rain should be the only problem out there...
AnswerID: 281743

Reply By: Member - Alan H (Narangba QLD - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:25

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 12:25
Next time you need to look closer. The outback is not boring or empty or all the same unless you fail to look. The nothingness can be the attraction as is the isolation.

Travelling across the Simpson can be just a lot of sand hills but I was amazed at the difference in the dunes and the vegetation in between the dunes which changed from dune to dune sometimes very slightly but other times very abruptly.

I am glad you enjoyed your trip and sad that you found nothing out there.

Alan
AnswerID: 281746

Follow Up By: SoloGirl - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 13:31

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 13:31
Hi Alan,
I think my use of the word "nothing" was wrong. Of course there IS heaps out there. I fell in love with the Namib Desert in Namibia and found lots to see there too. Yes, the dunes, colours of the sand, rock formations, there is always plenty to wonder at.
Just being out there in the middle of that vastness is a humbling experience.
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
FollowupID: 546078

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 14:00

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2008 at 14:00
Good report Solo Girl. When I saw the thread, I think I remembered you posting about your plans before you left. Good to see you did the trip, had fun and got back safely.

I travel with my wife and have learnt to always follow her intuition. If she says ' I don't want to stop here, it doesn't feel right', we drive on.
Apart from not wanting any problems with my travel companion, I have found her intuition to be right more than once.

Once you have the travel bug for remote spots, it tends to stay. I expect you will be planning another trip at some time.
AnswerID: 281761

Reply By: Member - Ann D (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:56

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:56
Glad you enjoyed your trip hopefully next time you can do one in cooler months. Like one of the others said you have just scratched the top of the dirt.

Ann
AnswerID: 281896

Sponsored Links