Rainbow Beach Access?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:30
ThreadID: 53547 Views:2645 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me what the status of the Leisha track access to Rainbow Beach is and also if Mudlo Rocks is passable? A group of us are heading up to Fraser over the Australia Day long weekend and we want to travel up Teewah beach, Rainbow beach etc. If not, then I'll take the Freshwater Track, but I'd like to hear from anyone who's been up there recently.

Many thanks, Andrew...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Smith Family - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 12:56

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 12:56
Shawsie

have a read of this.....

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/publications/p01713aa.pdf/Cooloola_conditions_report_last_updated_14_January_2008.pdf

AnswerID: 281916

Follow Up By: Shawsie - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 13:08

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 13:08
Thanks, I knew that the track and beach were already a problem from the EPA, but wanted to get an opinion from anyone that has been up there recently and can tell me exactly what the status is. I know that the EPA perspective can be a little on the cautious side of things. Thanks for the reply :o)
FollowupID: 546333

Reply By: Lazybugger - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 13:54

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 13:54
I was up there on boxing day and can confirm there just isn't much beach at all between the track and rainbow. Even at low tide the cars are having to get on the dunes to get around some of the fallen timber. People were making it but were taking some big chances to do it, not just risking getting bogged in the water but also rolling over if the dune they are riding on collapses.

Te whole thing would have got even worse since boxing day, so the freshwater track is probably the go.
AnswerID: 281927

Reply By: markcas - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 16:55

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 16:55
Hi Andrew

I have just returned from Double Island Point .At dead low tide i would not risk driving through the ocean in some spots and at Mudlo .We looked from both end's.The only vehicles i seen drive through it were Fraser Island experience 100 series Cruiser's.so you can make it if you don't mind salt water over your vehicle
AnswerID: 282109

Reply By: Member - Ian M (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 22:44

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 22:44
I was at Rainbow on the weekend - don't even think about going on the beach at Rainbow itself - the clay ramp from the car park road had over a metre sheer drop to the sand. I decided not to even go down the Freshwater Track as I figured if it was that bad at Rainbow it would not be sensible on the beach futher south. Nature has stuffed the dunes without me worsening the situation by being "forced" to drive on the dunes. IAN
AnswerID: 282172

Reply By: Shawsie - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 08:36

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 08:36
Hey guys, many thanks for your replies, this is exactly the info i was looking for. I'll give rainbow beach a wide berth and take freshwater track. Cheers, Andrew :o)
AnswerID: 282222

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 19:30

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 19:30
just got back this PM , skip Rainbow and take Freshwater or alternative head up the highway via Gympie it mights save some time. As for Fraser the rangers keep reporting Hook Point as closed(impassable) but we got throught with the Jayco and also the boat on the Navara. Plan to arrive either on the barge 2 hours either side of low and you should have no issues at all, in fact the beach driving was a pleasure with many tracks yet to be cut up but give it time. Indian was not to bad and the track at Orchid via the front of the shop is AOK. The wash out are not to bad either and the rangers have cleared most debris off the beach. Watch the police at Euronga as they are enforcing speed along the beach.

Cheers

Wayne
AnswerID: 282547

Sponsored Links