Air con Bowing roof

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 13:29
ThreadID: 53551 Views:1994 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all Friend of mine has a Millard caravan pop top (not off road) and has a Dometic (spelling) air con fitted. Only 6 months old and the weight of the aircon has bowed the roof while it has been in storage and has allowed rain water to enter the roof area and has damaged the roof and has also ran down the walls and damaged internally. The insurance assesor has been out and at the moment are saying they will not pay.They have put it down to him not covering it properly and classed as neglect. Wouldnt he have some come back by the manufacturer as he bought it new and had the aircon fitted by them ??. They are sending out a higher grade assesor WTF ?? this week and if his final answer is no which the first bloke told him it will be then he is buggered as what to do next.Any help would be appreciated as hes still paying it off and cant use it, Regards Steve M
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 13:39

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 13:39
If the unit was fitted post production it should have had a Box Section Steel H Frame set on top to which they should have mounted the Air Con.

Unless it was specifically built to take an Air Con the Pop Tops normally aren't re-inforced in the roof for an Air Con as most of them are fitted with the Heron type in a side cupboard.

AnswerID: 281924

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:22

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:22
Hi There Notso, all he told me was that he went in ordered it new. Told them he wanted aircon fitted and a couple of other things and that was it till they rang him and told him its ready. He said there is definately no box section that he knows about and has had a bit of a look and tap and said it sounds pretty hollow up there. Him and his wife also struggle to put the top up due to the extra weight which slightly indicates to me that the gas struts havnt been upgraded to take the extra weight ?? He has had more of a look and said the water has also gone under the bed in the storage area and has stuffed the flooring under there as well as the walls etc. All water damage. When he stands on his front verandah you can see how the roof has the look of caving in. At the moment I wont mention the insurance company untill all is sorted but he wants it fixed and has now decided to sell it as he reckons it will not be the same. He wants to trade in for another new one but obviously cant till the problem is fixed. I am going to print all these replys up and give to him tomorrow just so it gives him an idea of what can and cant be done. Thanks for your reply. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546381

Follow Up By: Notso - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:55

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:55
Not a good scenario. Surely he must have a claim against the manufacturer either a warranty or as someone pointed out above Fair trading.

FollowupID: 546394

Reply By: hazo - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 13:41

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 13:41
Stephen
If the van is only 6 months old it is still a warranty issue and I would be returning it to the dealer and demanding it be fixed to his satisfaction.
The trouble is that with water stains , although unsightly, they are not considered a structural fault, but the roof bowing definitely is.
As for not covering it properly! caravans are designed to be left out in the open, at least I thought they were!

Good luck!
AnswerID: 281925

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:28

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:28
Hi there Hazo, "As for not covering it properly! caravans are designed to be left out in the open" my thoughts exactly,what a stupid comment from the assesor. He actually has one of those caravan covers about $400 worth mainly to stop leaves and stuff from staining the roof and obviously for a bit of protection from the elements but is not water proof so it can breath I presume. He has rang the caravan mob and apparantly he has been told its the fault of the aircon weight and was not fitted by them which indicated to me it was not built to suit the extra weight and doesnt have the extra box section as indicated that it should have from above reply. At the moment chasing his tail but will print all replys for him. Thankyou Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546384

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 16:28

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 16:28
Go to Dept of Fair Trading - the goods are "not of merchantable quality".
AnswerID: 281956

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:34

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:34
Passed this comment onto him today thanks Mike. He is waiting for the other assesor to come and have a look but the other bloke reckons he wont do any good. He has said it has been neglected. What a friggin joke. 6 months old This bloke is anal about his stuff and more so when he doesnt own it yet. Big letdown for him. Know how he feels in regards to my first camper. Some one on here told me they were a piece of bleep but had already bought it before asking the question, and how right he was. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546385

Reply By: furph - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 19:55

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 19:55
Carefully reading the post I detect some ambiguity.
Was the van initially ordered (through the dealer or manufacturer) with a roof mounted A/C?
If it was ordered direct to the manufacturer (all options incl. A/C specified) then the roof structure would (should) be constructed to carry the weight of the A/C unit.
If it was ordered through the dealer, and then the purchase order later ammended to include a roof mounted A/C, which was installed by the dealer on a roof structure not designed to accommodate it, becomes a different matter.
Regardless, here is a van not suited to purpose so either the manufacturer or the dealer is in the frame.
I rather suspect the dealer is going to be wearing this one.
Your friend should not back off, legal assistance may be required.
(opinion only, no responsibility accepted)
furph
AnswerID: 281982

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:12

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:12
Hi Furth, I think it was bought from the show room floor then had the extra's added. I'm quit sure. I will ask him that tomorrow. I know it didnt take that long before he took delivery from when he ordered it indicating to me that you could be right and was added after not during the manufacture. Thanks for that point much appreciated. Trying to get as much info as possible to help him out. Thanks again. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546476

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 20:34

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 20:34
Just FYI some manufacturers won't build pop tops with roof air. I was considering a new pop top and wanted roof mounted air conditioning. The builder told me they don't put roof mounted units on their pop tops because the added weight makes the roof very heavy. I ended up having a full height van built. I have since seen an Avan pop top with one on the roof so it might be worth inquiring as to what they do to strengthen the roof.
AnswerID: 281986

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:13

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:13
Thanks Mick, all replys appreciated to help my mate out. Thankyou Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546477

Sponsored Links