Next G phones work on GSM simm card?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:48
ThreadID: 53554 Views:5367 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Have been reliably told that a GSM simm card will work in a Next G phone. But only provide GSM coverage and services - i.e. text and voice.
Anybody tried it?
We only sometimes use CDMA at the moment, GSM would handle what we do 80% of the time, so wondering if we transfered one of our CDMA phones over to GSM, and dropped in a prepaid Next G card for when we needed the coverage.

Yeah, I know, I am a cheap skate, but humour the old bloke :o)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:51

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:51
My understanding is that NextG automatically roams to GSM?
AnswerID: 281967

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:02

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:02
Correct!
FollowupID: 546398

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 20:58

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 20:58
Mike, how can I get in touch with you for a project I would like made by someone such as yourself?

My email is dieseldrifter at bigpond dot com if you have any inclination to help me. I do not expect to get any job done for free so don't think I am a freeloader, I just need a specific person for this task and I think you may fit the bill???

Thanks in advance,
Trevor.
FollowupID: 546447

Reply By: Paul V Qld - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:59

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 17:59
I had a GSM phone which I replaced with a Nokia 6120. I had to ring a number to activate the new NextG SIM card, which would swap my phone number over to the new NextG SIM card and deactivate the old GSM SIM card. It took a couple of days to happen after ringing up (very annoying), but in the meantime the old GSM SIM card worked in my new Nokia 6120.

It only worked on the GSM network while I had my old GSM SIM in it.
AnswerID: 281968

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:02

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:02
Next G SIM will only work as GSM in non-Nexr G handset.
AnswerID: 281970

Follow Up By: stefan P (Penrith NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:07

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:07
So....you can get a Next G handset with next G sim, use the over priced next G service when you have to IE rural settings, BUT when in the metro area drop in any old GSM sim you like IE optus pre-paid.....providing the handset is not locked to Telstra

Correct???

Cheers Stefan
FollowupID: 546401

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:14

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:14
I'm not sure, but I know that a Next G SIM will work in a GSM phone, you can only assume that the reverse would also be possible.
FollowupID: 546405

Reply By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:05

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:05
My SWMBO got a Blackberry for Christmas (they only work on GSM). She cancelled her CDMA account and got a Next G pre paid sim and it works just fine in the Blackberry. She just doesn't get the reception that I get with the Nokia E51 Next G phone that I have.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 281971

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:25

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:25
Kev - Is she only getting reception in GSM areas?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 546408

Follow Up By: Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:38

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:38
That's right only in the GSM areas.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 546421

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:33

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 18:33
Great,

Thanks to every one, just what I needed to know.

Yep, Have to buy a new mobile handset anyway to replace the CDMA, so might as well put the money into a Next G handset, and get my number transfered to a GSM card. My GSM card will work in a locked telstra handset. Already tried it.
Can then get Next G prepaid for the occasional use outside Brisbane.
AnswerID: 281973

Follow Up By: MartyB - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 23:17

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 23:17
Oldplodder,
Yes technically you can do this but why?
Sounds overcomplicated to me.
Why don't you just get a NextG handset with a NextG sim card?
Costs the same as a GSM card but you won't have to stuff around swapping sim cards or remembering which number is currently on the handset. Plus you wont have to pay extra for the prepaid.
If your are one of these people who only wants a phone to make calls then do what I did with my wife's NextG number. I rang Telstra and told them to bar it to the internet. They advised I won't be able to send MMS messages of watch Foxtel, I said so what and now have a NextG phone that only does phone calls & SMS's.
from Marty.
FollowupID: 546492

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:44

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:44
Marty,

Some explanation is required.
We (family and family business) have 3 CDMA phones through Itel, a local provider based in Ipswich, and have been using them for over 10 years and very happy with them. Good service and the rates are about half of Telstras for similar level of usage. They are Tesltra wholesalers, and bulk buy access off Telstra for GSM, CDMA, Internet access and land line access. Telstra has stuffed them up and will not release Next G to them to onsell. Fair enough, a business decision on the part of Telstra which I don't understand but will respect.

Now I have discovered that my Itel GSM cards (another 2 phones in the family/business) will work in Telstra locked phones. Itel have them issued through Telstra in some way. I would like to stick to Itel, so I am thinking of staying with Itel where I can. That is my business decision which I assume Telstra would respect.

We only need the CDMA coverage ocassionally when travelling for business or pleasure in country areas, so am planning to switch to mainly GSM for 80% of our use where it works, and use a Next G phone for the rest, most probably with a prepaid card a few times a year when on the road, and using the GSM card the rest of the time through Itel. We normally travel with two phones in the car, so won't be swapping simm cards on the road. What we save using Itel GSM (over 5 phones) will pay for the extra cost of the Next G handset in less than 6 months.
FollowupID: 546522

Follow Up By: MartyB - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 09:19

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 09:19
Thanks for the reply John.
Good to see you have a Telco you are happy with.
from Marty.
FollowupID: 546531

Reply By: Hughd - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 16:50

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 16:50
NextG is a UMTS service, which means it uses wideband CDMA in the 850MHz band and GSM (TDMA) in the 1900,2100 MHz bands. It can roam from one to the other according to the signal available but the phone should prefer the W-CDMA.
For the higher level protocols (call establishment, progress and signalling) it uses the GSM mechanisms, and that is where the SIMM card comes in.
I have put a GSM SIMM card into my NextG phone, and it picked up fairly quickly on Vodaphone and made the requisite calls.
AnswerID: 282108

Sponsored Links