Stone Deflectors

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 21:45
ThreadID: 53560 Views:5686 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone please assist me with ideas on making a stone deflector for the front my hawk.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PradOz - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:54

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 22:54
not sure if this will work, try looking at the forum on

http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum

i just seen one made up with photos on there tonight. you may have to search the forum of van modifications and maybe back a few pages till you see it. he quotes that he made it from scrap and cost only a few bucks. good luck
AnswerID: 282013

Follow Up By: PradOz - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 23:06

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 23:06
here is the link to take you straight there - good luck with it

van stone guard
FollowupID: 546491

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 23:42

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 23:42
Hi there PradOz, Off subject, hows the tint and gas going. ?? Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 546691

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 23:35

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2008 at 23:35
There are pictures on my members profile. The stone guard was supplied by Coromal Adelaide when I purchased the van new. I think they are made locally.

Kingo
AnswerID: 282022

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 00:13

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 00:13
Hi Derek

We made our caravan front stone guard with the frame from about 1" square lightweight metal tubing, and glued the shade cloth on with contact cement. I hope the picture posts - if not, follow the link.

The stone guard had to loose its slope as with the Patrol with the dual spare wheel carrier, there wasn’t room for a tight turn. It angles around the genny box for the same reason - it used to be straight, and slanted forward.

At the base of each of the joins where it angles, it has a piece of the same metal tubing jutting at right angles to the guard, which slide into 2 metal tubes attached to the caravan. Wing nuts hold it tight, and it can be removed in a few seconds for us to access the genny, spare tyres, or remove gas bottles.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 282026

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 00:14

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 00:14
OK the picture and the link failed. Try this link

http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum/generatorbox1.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=4872
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 546498

Reply By: Member - Phil (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 06:49

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 06:49
Derek L
Try www.campertrailers.org/stone_guards.htm for a variety of
stone deflectors.Click on each photo to enlarge.
Phil
AnswerID: 282033

Reply By: Member - Derek L (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 19:57

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 19:57
Hi all that helped me find some very good ideas for a stone deflector. I have some really great ideas now so off to the shed I go. Thanks again. Derek L
AnswerID: 282132

Reply By: Anthony (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 20:25

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 20:25
Hi Derek

I made up a stone guard & jerry carrier for our Dove. You can get an idea of how it looks on my profile pic's. Since the pics were taken, we went on 3,000 kms on tracks (Oodnadatta, flinders ranges, Macdonald ranges & Plenty Hwy).

The guard protected the trailer from stone hitting above the trailer chassis but the stone damage underneath was amazing.

The shocker were badly dented, the electric brake cables were cut and the water tank guard was very dented. It even had holes punched in it. I had protected the water tank drain tap by covering with sheet gal but this was also hit hard by lots of stones.

I think the solution might be to fit truck type mud flaps along the lower edge of the stone guard to stone the 4wd back wheels flicking the stones under and at the the chassis of the trailer.

cheers Anthony
AnswerID: 282136

Follow Up By: Member - Derek L (QLD) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 20:28

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 20:28
Hi Anthony,

Great looking stone guard you got there. Looking at your pix of your trips really looks like you can give me some advice. We are getting ready for a trip to the red centre in June.

Thanks Mate
Derek L
FollowupID: 546842

Follow Up By: Anthony (Vic) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 23:08

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 23:08
G’day Derek,

Happy to give feedback on what worked and what didn’t for our red centre trip, it may help with your trip prep. Sorry for the long rant. You don’t have to agree with it all but it may give you an idea or two to consider.

The stone guard was made in a bit of a rush (the list of things to do was long and I was running a bit short of time) I didn’t allow enough clearance between the rear door mounted spare tyre and the jerry carrier. The jerry carrier only kissed the spare tyre when the trailer was near to a jack-knife position when reversing.

The stone guard itself, the square tubing on the A-frame is 25mm sq by 3mm thick. The square tube for the shade cloth frame is 16mm tube, which slides inside of the 25mm tube. To attach the 25mm tube to the A-frame I welded 25mm angle iron and used 3/8” (10mm) U-bolts to attached. I picked up the jerry holders from a camping store at $25each. The shade cloth was 70% rated from bunnings and attached with cable ties.

More generally, on our trip we expected it to be hot (being from Nov to Jan), with lots of dust and stones. As it turned out I underestimated all three. It should be a bit cooler for your trip in June. We found that the fridge in the Jayco couldn’t handle the long periods of heat. At the end of the day of driving after running on 12volt, our fridge would be at best 20C. The best it got down to was 8-10C at night (on gas or 240V). The best setting on the fridge temp dial was between 3 ½ to 4 ½. Ay setting higher than that and it would do worse on cooling ( I believe this is a common problem with the Dometic fridges in very hot weather). We had to stop buying fresh meat and start buying canned ham instead (not much choice of brands in small outback towns, we wished we took a few more of the better quality band tins from home.

The dust, it will get in. Any towels or clothing that you put under the seats put in good sealing plastic bags. By the end of the Plenty Hwy, our laptop bag (normally black) had a thick cover of a light brown dust, as dide most items under the front seat storage.

I thought I had done enough with the stone guard and with extending the gal sheet tank guard to protect the tank drain tap, to stop stone damage. The stones took all the gal plating off the Dove chassis wherever they hit. The shockers still work (I think) but the bottom half of the shocker tubes are flat from the stones. The electric brake cable, while it runs behind the 45mm sq axle, was cut to bits by the stones. I will cover my brake wires with plastic tubing. The gal sheet used to protect the tank took a real beating and will need to be replaced but managed to do its job. Make sure that the end of your plastic water tank is not overhanging the edge of the gal sheet otherwise it may suffer from any stones. I will take some pic’s tomorrow of the tank guard and shockers and load them up.

With the stone guard deflector width, mine was not as wide at the trailer width. I thought it would be ok to be a few centimeters less that the trailer. The outside edge of the trailer got a few stones, not many, but enough to dent the Aluminum edging.

With tyres, I fitted the same LT tyres to the Dove that I had on the 4wd. I wasn’t confident with the standard AT tyres that come on the Jayco. IMHO, a higher load rating LT type tyre is worth considering to replace the standard Jayco issue tyres.

I hope some of this long post is of interest. Enjoy the centre, we certainly did.
Cheers Anthony
FollowupID: 546899

Follow Up By: Member - Derek L (QLD) - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 20:46

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 20:46
Thanks Anthony, We'll chat again about prep for our trip. Can you please send me an email so we can keep in contact that why.

Regards Derek.
FollowupID: 547524

Follow Up By: Anthony (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 08:28

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 08:28
Hi Derek,

sounds good ... always happy to chat and discuss ideas etc for a trip.

email is Aheg at bigpond dot net dot au

cheers Anthony
FollowupID: 547867

Sponsored Links