smoky bay s.a.

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 14:12
ThreadID: 53583 Views:4827 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
we are intending to go to smoky bay and prefer to free camp. we have a 21ft roadstar [allroad] behind a 100 series cruiser. does anyone know of camping areas not too far from smoky bay? i realise there is a caravan park in the town but im told it is very crowded and almost always full peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - cuffs (SA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 14:51

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 14:51
Just got back from Googs Track and Ceduna, a few Aboriginal problems between Streaky and Ceduna, WA mob have come over.
No camping in Smoky bay town limits, try Laura bay conservation pk between Streaky and Ceduna, heavy baiting going on so careful if with a dog and rug rats.
AnswerID: 282087

Reply By: Member - Luke (SA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 16:00

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 16:00
I just looked in camps 4 Aust. wide and there doesn't seem to be any free camping close to Smokey Bay

Cheers Luke
AnswerID: 282100

Follow Up By: Member - shane (SA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 19:46

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 19:46
free camping atpoint brown, nice spot, good fishing, good beach for walking.
FollowupID: 546627

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 22:01

Thursday, Jan 17, 2008 at 22:01
Peter, much of the Eyre Peninsular has old roads left accessible alongside the existing roads. If it is just for an overnight, you can select a spot where the old road wanders behind a screen of trees. If you choose a minor road, the traffic seems to stop at night so you can enjoy the peace and tranquility of bush camping.

A bit to the north of Smokey Bay is Haslam. When we were there in 2005, there was a bitumised flat camping area by the jetty with a $5 per night honesty box, with flush toilets, water and barbecue. It was well away from any houses. There was a time limit on staying. Locals told us it used to include showers and electricity, but these were removed as people were overstaying the time limit and the honesty box wasn't collecting enough to pay the power bill. It was a lovely seaside spot. Thoroughly recommended. I recall the fishing village heading south also had similar camping.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 282162

Follow Up By: furph - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 07:56

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 07:56
Next down from Haslem is Perlubie bch. Stayed a few days last winter.
Delightful spot, good flush toilets, water, shelter sheds on the beach.
Honesty box payment system also. More than happy to pay the nominal amounts for places like this.
furph
FollowupID: 546716

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 22:11

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 22:11
Thanks furph - I just forgot the name. We were heading to Perlubie on a recommendation of on ExOz member, then met someone along the road who told us about Haslam, so that is where we stayed.Haslam looked more private - as the houses were some distance away. We had the spot to ourselves, although there was a trailer home belonging to a fisherman in a car park a bit further away from the beach. He launched his boat next morning when the tide low - taking it out to the ledge with a tractor, taking the tractor back to the beach, then running out to catch his boat. Quite an interesting process. We are certainly always happy to pay the small fee for these good community run sites. There is another one a Baird Bay - small and fairly near the houses, but they too have had to cut services too because of lack of honesty box honesty.

As Davoe says - you can find places just about anywhere on the Eyre. Great area.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 546887

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 01:09

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 01:09
unless the EP has changed since i was last there - camp where you want
AnswerID: 282194

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 09:26

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 09:26
As mentioned try Haslam and Perlubie. If you didn't have the van i would have suggested Acraman Creek too.
AnswerID: 282224

Sponsored Links