Ice

Submitted: Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 10:19
ThreadID: 53609 Views:2319 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Message from NSW Ambulance Service

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but if we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would find our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this "ICE" (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.

The concept of "ICE" is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name "ICE" ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, E mergency Service personnel and Hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialling the number you have stored as "ICE".

Please forward this.

It won't take too many "forwards" before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc.

The outback calls

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 10:39

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 10:39
A Google for "nsw ambulance ice" came up with this document.

ICE emails not from Ambulance

Here is the text -

"There is an unauthorised email using the Ambulance Service of NSW name being sent around asking people to join the In Case of Emergency (ICE) campaign using their mobile phones. This email is not from the Ambulance Service of NSW.

The Ambulance view on the ICE campaign is as follows:
The Ambulance Service has not launched any campaign supporting ICE (In Case of Emergency). Ambulance supports any method of contacting family in a critical medical emergency. Methods that can be used include information in diaries, wallets, drivers’ licences, and mobile phones. The concept of ICE has merit and would be another source of information to assist with identification.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE: in cases involving more than one patient or a where a mobile phone has been borrowed from someone else, it may be difficult to confidently match personal belongings to any one individual. This may in turn lead to unnecessary distress.
The Ambulance Service also advises that as with all stored personal information, individuals need to be mindful of confidentiality issues."
AnswerID: 282234

Reply By: Psi - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 10:40

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 10:40
Oh dear....this did the rounds of EO about a year ago.

Must have be an annual repeat timer on somewhere.

Cheers

Psi
AnswerID: 282235

Reply By: howie - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 10:45

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 10:45
The Ambulance Service’s view on ICE (In case of emergency)
11/01/08
Enquiries regarding ICE
The Ambulance Service has not launched any campaign supporting ICE (In Case of Emergency). Ambulance supports any method of contacting family in a critical medical emergency. Methods that can be used include information in diaries, wallets, drivers’ licences, and mobile phones. The concept of ICE has merit and would be another source of information to assist with identification.
IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE: in cases involving more than one patient or a where a mobile phone has been borrowed from someone else, it may be difficult to confidently match personal belongings to any one individual. This may in turn lead to unnecessary distress. The Ambulance Service also advises that as with all stored personal information, individuals need to be mindful of confidentiality issues.
Graham McCarthy
Acting General Manager, Operations

the idea has been around for some years now, as far back as 2005.
still a good idea though.
some suggest including your blood type, but as reported above it might pay to include a picture of yourself to prevent being pumped full of the wrong blood type.LOL
i don't think the medics would give you a blood type on the strength of mobile phone info.
didn't telstra also send a text to all mobiles ages ago suggesting the i.c.e. thing?
AnswerID: 282238

Reply By: Member - Straps (SA) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 17:27

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 17:27
Just reinforcing the above. Emergency services nationally have agreed that they would not support this concept for several reasons, the main one being privacy issues. Also, Emergency service staff are unlikely to gain anything from calling the ICE number on the phone in the beginning phases of your emergency.

Hospital Emergency Department staff are equally unlikely to ring ICE because they will be too busy.

Make up a small laminated emergency information card and put it in you wallet if you are genuinely concerned. I can tell you that a wallet will get looked at by both Emergency service staff and hospital staff.

Cheers
Shane
AnswerID: 282301

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 21:06

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 21:06
If they see "ICE"
the Ambo might pump you full of it, then you will get a "Chill"

Will he have to look for "Hot"
FollowupID: 546862

Reply By: DesF - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 21:41

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 21:41
Well said . ! I ( and family ) have been using the "ICE" method in our phones for about 2 years, ( not had to use it in anger ) but it is good to know more people will be aware of it.
Thanks for reminding everyone about it.
Cheers Des.
AnswerID: 282379

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 23:21

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 23:21
This started after "9/11" as someone's idea at identifying victims should another mass tragedy occur, and it has been doing the rounds ever since, accredited to all manner of emergency organisations. As such, it has become well known and i have included a few in my phone - however i think someone would be more likely to contact one called "Mum" or "Husband" or whatever than "Ice".

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 282400

Sponsored Links