Fish Finders

Submitted: Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 18:20
ThreadID: 53632 Views:1575 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,
this is my first ever posting so I hope I get the format etc correct. I am a keen fisherman and have a tinnie which gets a workout. However that is not the point. My best mate and I were out on Lake Burbury the other day feeding the trout when we noticed another tinnie with two fish finders. One was located near the steering wheel up the pointy end ane the other was on the back seat down the blunt end. This got us engaged in quite a conversation. Can anyone tell me how that would work please? I would have thought that two transducers would interfere with each other. I also get a clicking noise through my radio from mine so wouldn't two units running together create some sort of interference to each other?
Would appreciate any input from those who run two fish finders in a tinnie.
Rgds
Nev (tas)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: age - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 18:48

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 18:48
Nev

Most sounders these days run dual beam transducers - one at 50kHz and the other at 200kHz. This gives both shallow and deep water performance. On most sounders you can also choose to just use one frequency at a time. They would use the rear transducer at one frequency and the front set on the other - no clashes

Cheers

A
AnswerID: 282336

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 18:49

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 18:49
They shouldn't interfere Nev. They transmit in a pretty narrow beam. But if the water is deep, the return 'ping' might come up in a wider beam and interfere with the other transducer.

To overcome this, you could use them on different frequencies. Many fish finders are dual frequency (mine is). You could put one on each frequency.

The only point I can see to two fish finders (unless it is a bl@@dy big boat) is being able to see a screen wherever you are on the boat.

I mainly use mine to determine depth, type of bottom and underwater structure anyway, so one is plenty. Also have it mounted on a Ram mount, so it can point in any direction.

That's my take anyway.
Hope the fish are biting for you.
AnswerID: 282337

Reply By: madfisher - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 19:00

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 19:00
Hi Nev, fishnet run a forum which you may find helpfull. Hope to be down your way from the 10th feb to 24th, hope you are getting plenty of rain. Is it poissible to flyfish burbury from the bank?
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 282338

Follow Up By: Member - Nev (TAS) - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 21:12

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 21:12
Thanks Pete for your reply,
weather has been quite warm for Tassie, ie anything above 0 is hot. However lakes etc are holding up at the moment. You can flyfish a small amount of Burbury. One good spot is off the dam wall rockface. Mudeyes seem to be my best dry fly at Burbury. Here is a couple of url's you may wish to look at to see what is happening with our lakes. It should be looked at regularly as if they start to pull water for hydro use some of the lakes can go down reasonably quickly.
www.hydro.com.au/home/Tourism+and+Recreation/Lake+Levels.htm

www.coastview.com.au/site/arthurs_lake/

Hope this helps and hope you catch your share

Rgds

Nev (Tas)
FollowupID: 546867

Follow Up By: BorisK - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 08:51

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 08:51
With Fishnet if you can get through all the teenage overenthused attitude and vanity you 'might' get to someone that is a little wiser and less confused. The genuine brains that were on the site a long time ago have gone to better places. Just have a look at their 4wd forum section to get a quick idea on the site quality.
FollowupID: 546929

Reply By: madfisher - Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 21:36

Friday, Jan 18, 2008 at 21:36
Thanks Nev,
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 282377

Sponsored Links