Paroo River

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 14:53
ThreadID: 53665 Views:5032 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
O.T gents I know but does anybody know if the Paroo ever actually flows into the Darling? Its been in flood for months now and I still do not think it has made the darling. Good to see the menidee lakes on the rise.
Cheers Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 15:17

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 15:17
According to my map the Paroo runs to ground north/northeast of White Cliffs near Peery National Park. Not near the Darling at all.

Then again I see a small Paroo River as a tributary of the Darling near Wilcannia. There can't be 2 Paroo's or can there?

Relying here on Hema Maps Road Atlas.

Cheers
AnswerID: 282506

Follow Up By: madfisher - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:27

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:27
Thanks Willem,
Vivien has supplied a most interesting reply which I trust you will all so find of interest. Hope you enjoyed your xmas break over this way.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 547043

Follow Up By: Garbutt - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 20:27

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 20:27
The Paroo will only flow to the Darling when it has filled up all of the Peery Lakes system, roughly between Tilpa and White Cliffs. It is quite a bit of flood-out country that needs to be completely wet before the river continues beyond the flood-out country to the darling. We went through that way last Sept and drove through km's of shallow water over the road, I mean only a few inches of water. It will take a good flood to fill all of the Peery lakes and the swampy country and then flow onwards to the Darling but I understand it can happen.

GB
FollowupID: 547088

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 15:57

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 15:57
Pete

You have probably already found all this ... extracted from a much longer article on the Paroo.....

Downstream of Eulo, below the Caiwarro gauge, Carwarra Creek flows out of the Paroo during flood events to fill the Currawinya Lakes system. Flows are generally not large enough to reach Lake Wyara, however, an exceptional flood event flushed saline water from Lake Wyara back into the Paroo. This rare event had devastating effects on fish populations and killed the gardens of riparian landholders using the river for their domestic water supply.

Still maintaining a south-west course, the Paroo River then passes through Hungerford and crosses the Queensland - New South Wales border on to the settlement of Wanaaring. South of the town, the Paroo is joined by Kulkyne and Cuttaburra Creeks. These streams direct flows from the Warrego River in the east to the Paroo during flood events. At this point, after prolonged dry periods, the Paroo contracts to a series of deep, permanent waterholes along the riverbed. These waterholes provide important refuge areas for aquatic species during dry times. The Paroo then passes through Nocoleche Nature Reserve and goes on to fill Waitchie, Mungundi and Camel Lakes. Waitchie Lake is virtually permanent, receiving regular inflows and retaining water for many years, Mungundi has a block bank built across the inlet to aid water retention and is also permanent. Camel Lake has no regulating structures and is ephemeral.

Below these lakes, the main channel of the Paroo River loses definition and separates into two main systems. The floodplain widens to form an extensive network of channels and wetlands known as the Paroo Overflow. A series of linked lakes and depressions filled by floodwaters continue south along the lower catchment all the way to the Darling River. In rare flood events, waters of the Paroo fill the expanse of the Paroo Overflow and join the waters of the Darling River upstream of Wilcannia.

This site last updated on 05/06/2006.
The NPWS is part of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.

Viv
AnswerID: 282514

Follow Up By: madfisher - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:29

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:29
Thanks Viv,
this is exactly what I wanted to know. I knew someone on this fantastic site would know. A very detailed reply thank you
Pete
FollowupID: 547044

Reply By: Scrubcat - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 16:18

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 16:18
G`day Pete,
Yep it sure does , it runs in on "Capon Station" up steam from Wilcannia. Quite a few years ago my brother was camped on the Darling in that area and the Paroo was in flood ,because the Paroo water was entering the Darling with such a strong stream and creating so much turbulence he was not game to proceed along the Darling any further in his 12ft Tinnie, and believe me not many things pulled him up in those days.
Perhaps it is slow reaching the Darling this time is because it wanders about a lot of flat country with lots of creeks and billabongs/swamps all which would have been dry because of the drought etc.

Cheers,
scrubcat
AnswerID: 282520

Follow Up By: madfisher - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:32

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:32
Thanks Scrubcat, It would have been fantastic seeing the water flowing in like that. Thank you
Pete
FollowupID: 547045

Reply By: furph - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 16:48

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 16:48
Viv. posted a most interesting reply.
The rivers in that part of Q. seem to exist in a degree of confusion, they are in many respects the overfow from seasonal wet systems originating much further north.
Interestingly, because the Warrego flows directly into the Darling it is the most western river in which Murray Cod are caught. Last winter saw a 20kg. beauty pulled out of the Ward R. just W. of Charleville.
Further W. after that, all you can hope for are decent Yellowbelly, but they are good eating anyway.
furph
AnswerID: 282524

Follow Up By: madfisher - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:37

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:37
Furph thank you for your reply, most interesting about the cod, as scrubcat above states it does flow to the darling above wilcania in big floods. Did you know their has been some cod caught in the Coopers system. Fushed out of farm dams upsteam apparently.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 547047

Follow Up By: That Troopy Bloke (SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:34

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:34
'Interestingly, because the Warrego flows directly into the Darling it is the most western river in which Murray Cod are caught.'

Furph, that sounds like a furphy to me.....plenty of Murray Cod are caught in the (surprise surprise) River Murray.

Cheers
Glenn
FollowupID: 547065

Follow Up By: furph - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:46

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 18:46
Good one Glenn, caught me there.
Should have said the "most western river in Qld".
I stand corrected.
furph

FollowupID: 547067

Follow Up By: furph - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 19:22

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 19:22
Oops,
Should been more respectful: The Warrego R. tonight is in full flood fury at Charleville.
The overall damage I expect will be minimal, they have been through it so many times before.
Was cut off some years ago on the way there from Quilpie. Thanks to the "foxtrap" at Cooladdie the 3 day delay was not too unpleasant!
furph

FollowupID: 547074

Reply By: Member - Alan H (Narangba QLD - Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:31

Saturday, Jan 19, 2008 at 17:31
The Bulloo River further west also goes into oblivion east of Tibooburra. If travelling between Tibooburra and Bourke you cross the Bulloo plain where the river just runs out and provides a very rich grazing country which has desert either side of it.

With all the rain up Longreach way, the tracks out west this winter may need carefull planing to avoid water acroos tracks.
AnswerID: 282530

Sponsored Links