Asus EEEPC first impressions

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 11:19
ThreadID: 53694 Views:2800 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Purchased one of these yesterday with the purpose of using as an incar GPS/Maps type laptop and as a take anywhere holiday PC - having the solid state HDD and ability to have HDSD card or large flash drive capability.

It appears very well built, smaller than expected, screen size takes a little to get used to at 7" and comes pre loaded with a Linux OS (Xandros) not Windows.

I have already upgraded the provided 512Mb to 1Gb already (very easy), but have not noticed any increase in performance. Was difficult to introduce to my home wireless network as some of the instructions are a bit ambiguous.

With 1 days use I can already see the limitations of the OS not being Windows (as a heavy Windows user and a Linux newby), but applications that I want are Windows only apps. The OS can be changd to Windows XP (a shrunk version the best as the HDD is only 4Gb) with a little mucking around, so that will be the next project.

Will probably pass this one on to the nieces for school and wait for the next version with 8Gb HDD and possibly already loaded with XP. This current one is probably not the best for those who just wish to use a computer out of the box and expect desktop Windows type performance say as you would get with some of the cheap laptops being sold today. Great though if you are a hacker and there is a wealth of info on the net to modify this machine.

Will keep you posted on my project as I change configurations and try and use for some other purposes

Cheers

A
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Steve M (SA) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 18:34

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 18:34
Hi A

Maybe you want one of these ...

Macbookair

New Apple notebook with Intel chip and 64Gb solid state drive - can be configued to run windows (as can all Intel based Macs apparently).

Cheers
Steve
AnswerID: 282732

Follow Up By: age - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 18:46

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 18:46
Hi Steve

Yeah saw all the hype about the new Macbookair - only thing is the price - 5 times what the eeepc is. The eeepc will work out for me once I get use to its capabilities/format how I need it. It is better than a PDA, and a great small factor item with genuine PC type power - for me I just need to get it onto a Windows OS and it will make a great in car PC especially with a touch screen plugged into it.

Cheers

A
FollowupID: 547249

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Kath - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 19:47

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 19:47
"It is better than a PDA" only it won't fit my pocket, and the PDA already has a touch screen. Interesting just the same. I like my larger PDA with a 12" screen HP TX1000
Not a good pic that one with the corner cut off
FollowupID: 547261

Follow Up By: age - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 20:00

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 20:00
JohnR

True about PDA in pocket, but most PDA's use Windows Mobile 5 or 6 which probably has more apps available for GPS etc, is better than the Xandros, but also quite limited.

I really want to run this with Garmin nRoute and Pacific Blue chart for my boat as well as experimenting with some new marine NMEA software that will take protocol sentences from boat motor/fuel monitoring sensors. Genuine manufacturer consoles are wickedly expensive, where as this may provide a very cheap way of screning this data with some Windows capability behind it all

Just experimenting and it is a cheap way of doing it.

Cheers

A
FollowupID: 547266

Reply By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 21:15

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 21:15
>With 1 days use I can already see the limitations of the OS not
>being Windows (as a heavy Windows user and a Linux newby),
>but applications that I want are Windows only apps.

I am a little confused as to why you choose to buy a computer which, clearly, does not run the Windows operating system and then complain that you cannot run Windows applications?

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 282787

Follow Up By: age - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 07:59

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 07:59
Mike

I full well knew when i purchased this machine that it was running a Linux distro, as well as full well knowing that Windows Xp could be installed. I wanted to see what the Linux install could do or was capable of firts - hence my comment. ASUS also touted the install as being fully Windows compatible (which I knew it would not be). In fact yesterday I made a version of XP Pro using the nlite program that has removed all the unncessary crap and reduced footprint to just over 1GB - smaller than the Linux distro on the machine

It is no drama top install Windows onto it - no different than buying any PC and changing the OS to one that suits needs better - Xp to Vista or Vista to XP etc. My cut down version of XP should fly without the bloat.

The Linux distro on it was free and easily reinstalled onto the machine - just not my cup of tea and I already own a spare XP Pro licence to whack onto it. My intent was a cross between research and hobby and at the price they are is a cheap way of experimenting

I stand by it being a great purchase with true modern PC operability and grunt in a machine that has no moving parts.

Cheers

A
FollowupID: 547341

Follow Up By: Steve63 - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 17:35

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 17:35
1Gb is a heavy linux distro. The lighter versions should fit into 500Mb. Some of the server versions are about 300Mb. In general Linux requires less resource (disc, processor and memory).

There is some early mapping software available for Linux. I have never used it but have seen it around the place.

Steve
FollowupID: 547433

Reply By: mikeyandmary - Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 23:28

Sunday, Jan 20, 2008 at 23:28
Hi A,

The wife and I changed to linux about 2 years ago, mainly to save money on software and to reduce hardware upgrades (linux is easier on hardware than windows).

The problems with windows apps can be annoying but there is a linux equivalent for almost all windows software. There is also a program called WINE that allows you to install and run most windows software in linux without having to install windows.

For a heavy windows user (which I was) it takes a bit of time but linux is rather easy after a while. I have found that there is always an answer to any question I have on the internet :-)

I hope you find linux useful enough to not have to go back to windows.
AnswerID: 282815

Follow Up By: age - Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:19

Monday, Jan 21, 2008 at 08:19
Hi mikeyandmary

I am very interested in learning more about the Linux OS and getting the best from it. I am reading on the net that guys are dual booting this little machine by having the Windows distro on a HDSD cards etc and leaving the Linux install as is.

I take your point about Linux being "easier" on the machine. Apparently with these SSHD's as installed they do not take to constant writing that the likes of XP does in its wisdom - even ASUS in the instruction manual ask you to move or remove some folders when running XP to portable storage card to save the HDD.

I guess using Windows in the manner I have, it all becomes very intuitive and the Linux distro seems to mimick Windows to a point but lacks some of the flow that Windows has or I am use to.

Cheers

A
FollowupID: 547343

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 16:15

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2008 at 16:15
I brought oe of these EeePc for my son for Xmas and it is a nice unit.
I'm looking at installing a slim down XP very soon

Here is a site which could come in hardy for those that want to do the same

EeePc nLite slim down XP
AnswerID: 283142

Sponsored Links