I thought I had done the old girl in, but no, she's OK.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 09:21
ThreadID: 53817 Views:2616 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Had a scare last Saturday, was out with the old girl and she started breaking down, too much heat on Saturday.
But she is OK, took her to the Docs, and the diagnosis is only minor.
EGT was OK.

Bit of a scare when the temp guage shot up to over 3/4s after only a kilometer.

Nursed her home, added 3 litres of fresh water, got her going again, but bad signs. A lot of frothing at the mouth of the radiator.

Must have been a slow leak at the top radiator hose. Asked the wife and son who had been driving it this week if they had seen the water temp gauge rise, and it was a case of "what temp gauge?". Since I have put the EGT in, they only look at the EGT.
Some re-education in order.
Thought I had done the head in with the frothing at the radiator. But the Doc, my good mechanic Nick, has this smick litmus test strip that checks for carbon monoxide in the radiator water and no sign of a problem.
Was just on the pajero club forum and others were talking about the heads on the 2.8 cracking on a regular basis, and this one has 301,000k up.

Makes me wonder how many times serious damage occurs because people don't watch gauges or pick up the early warning signs. Wife normally smells a hot engine before I see it on the gauge. This would be the 2nd or 3rd time a radiator hose has started leaking and we have picked it up in time.

Might investigate a low water alarm. "Not another gauge" says the wife, but I said it is OK, only a buzzer.

Any recommendations?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:18

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:18
This is what you want , I reckon if it saves me once it is money well spent. Easy to install.

I have also been tempted to put in a buzzer when temp reaches 118C the alarm goes off, but that's a job for another day.

Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 283287

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:07

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:07
Yep, another fan of the Engine Saver Low Water Alarm; great product and they should be standard equipment on all vehicles.
FollowupID: 548020

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:27

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 20:27
Just today I saw a commodore ute drop all of its coolant doing 80 kmh along the freeway, oblivious to my attempts to flag him down, and unable to accelerate up to him (I was in a loaded semi)All I could do was watch him go off in the distance as I turned off 1km up, wondering how far he got.
I would doubt that if a hose failed/split and all the coolant was dropped in seconds (like today) anybody driving would notice until it was to late, me included.
I happily parted with the coin for a low water alarm for that very reason, small red LED in the dash, as well as an beeper will tell me straight away something has gone wrong, has nothing to do with temp, just coolant level.
I seem to recall one formite's engine saver went off in transit, saving a bucket load of drama.

Shane
AnswerID: 283411

Reply By: AndrewX - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:26

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2008 at 21:26
Oldplodder I would recommend that you check your hoses once a year and replace them every 5 or so years. A leaking radiator hose should never happen!!!
AnswerID: 283424

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:24

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:24
Thanks,

Thats the annoying part.

I usually flush and put new water / corrosion inhibitor in every 12 to 18 months.
New hoses before a major trip, which is about every 2 years, and take the old ones, so new hoses were last July.
Usually I pick up little leaks as they happen and no problem, have 'saved' the engine a couple of times, but this time no one was looking, or smelling.
FollowupID: 548112

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:29

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:29
Trevor, Shane, Roachie,

Thanks for the tip.

The Engine saver was one I am looking at. Thanks for the recommendation.

Not sure about the version that slips in under the radiator hose or the one where you cut the radiator hose?
Two extra clamps, or the slip in? Which is less problem for the future?

Have used the slip in method for an electric fan thermostat on another car and it worked well, so might go that way.

Which have you used and how did you find them?
AnswerID: 283470

Sponsored Links