This Thread has been Archived
More Pictures by Jo,Peter & Col.
Click the Link below

West Kunderang
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 08:57

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 08:57
Thanks guys , that was great .

Col , what was the Kempsey track like . I spoke to a guy after I left who said the track surface was OK , but it was so narrow for long stretches that I would be stupid taking the van down it as I was sure to cop oncoming traffic and get into trouble .
Willie .
AnswerID: 283467

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:58

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 09:58
Travelled down the mountain from Kunderang turnoff with a KK ( not caravan ) 4 months ago and although the road is in excellent condition it is VERY narrow.. meeting an oncoming car with a van behind you may be interesting...pity though.....very nice camping along the river heading towards Kempsey..
FollowupID: 548118

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:47

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:47
The only real area of concern along the Armidale Rd is the section to the east of Lower Creek. It is VERY narrow and on some corners there are mirrors set up so you can see whats coming.

Having said that, if you meet anyone I dont know what you or they would do as I would not like to have to reverse back along the narrow windy track to find a spot to pull over.

Despite the warning signs re trucks and caravans not permitted along that road, I have seen a full semi trailer go through.

Cheers,

Cruiser
FollowupID: 548126

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 14:21

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 14:21
I remember on one of my first ever real 4wd trips we were crawling down a very steep and narrow track,cliff up on one side cliff down on the other, when my wife asked what we would do if we came across a car coming up the hill.

"Don't worry, that's not going to happen." says I

Somehow we managed to get past, don't know how but we did.

I have seen photos of two busses passing on a mountain pass in Afghanistan, a mate was on one of the busses. That looked impossible too but they made it.

Really looks a nice spot that Kunderang, I had hoped to get there for the weekend but plans changed on me a couple of times. I'll try harder next time having seen how pretty it is.

Duncs
FollowupID: 548138

Follow Up By: Gronk - Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 09:29

Friday, Jan 25, 2008 at 09:29
East of Lower Creek was the good bit.....coming down the mountain from the Armidale end was the narrow bit I thought ??

Normal forest drive to the Kunderang turnoff then not long after approx 15K's of narrow ( reasonably steep ) road down to the valley below !!
FollowupID: 548294

Sponsored Links