GPS - which ones run Ozi ?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 10:32
ThreadID: 53851 Views:2270 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Don't really need a GPS for cities, but whats available for under approx $700 that will run Ozi and also things like a/v input for reversing camera etc ??
4Gb card ? or two 2Gb 's ?
For this sort of price can you get turn by turn to work in the bush ?
4inch screen minimum...7inch would be good ??
Have I narrowed it down or will most of them do these things ????
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:31

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:31
Looks like no one else is going to give you an answer ,
Ozi will run in a PDA , Ozi will NOT give turn by turn guidance, and Ozi will not work in a normal Nav' GPS

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 283522

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:34

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:34
Doug,

Ozi WILL give turn by turn guidance but ONLY if you prepare the route first. It will not auto-route or give instructions on the fly.

FollowupID: 548154

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:40

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 15:40
Oh ok I didn't know they had voice,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 548155

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:19

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 16:19
Yeah, it's pretty rudimentary but it can be done.

FollowupID: 548162

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:22

Thursday, Jan 24, 2008 at 17:22
Hello - In your car you can run OziExplorer on a GPS equiped PDA (using OziExplorerCE) or from a PC/laptop (using OziExplorer). The specificiations of the relevant devices that will run the software is listed on the OziExplorer website so I wont bother repeating here.

AFAIK most PDAs dont have AV input/output ...so you may have limited choice in this area. Finding a unit with a 4 inch screen will further reduce you choice as most are smaller than this but I am a bit behind the times on current PDAs so dont take my word on it.

Some guys run laptops under the seat connecte to 7inch touch screen so maybe that is something you could look at.

It may also be possble to run OziExplorerCe on these things

2 Din 7 inch Car DVD All in One GPS

- not sure if its a "PDA" in true sense of word but it runs CE version 4.2 so qualifies in the operating system department. I know for a fact that Tom tom and Route66 will work on these things but I have not heard if OziCe can be installed or if it works. They are available on eBay for ~$600. Requires a double din radio slot to install. Has connections for reversing camera among other things (eg DVD/TV).

I wouldnt recommend OziExplorer if you want "turn by turn" directions. It doesnt calculate routes auomatically like "gps navigators" do. You would have to enter waypoints at each direction change and then create a route - you may or may not find this painful but there is a good chance the novelty would where off in a while. OziExplorer is a GPS Mapping program and is probably better suited for those with more specific mappping requirements than those that use "plug and play" gps navigators. You can use wide range of raster maps (eg touring, street, cadastral, topographical, environmental, geological) and sat/airphotos. Some are avialable ready to go commercially or you can convert and claibrate most digitally available maps or scan your own (as long as they are on recognised projection and to scale).

Re: SD cards - bigger the better I suppose but beware - some PDAs will not run HC SD 4GB cards so you will have to investigate before you buy.

Have Fun

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 283559

Sponsored Links