L'Cruiser split rims

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 18:44
ThreadID: 5389 Views:2121 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Although new to this forum I'd like to learn about splits. I'm planning a trans - african expedition in 04 / 05 and so bought 5 old splits off ebay. Now I am having big problems opening them and I think they've rusted up inside - does anyone have any advice as to how to get the old tyres off and what I need to do to clean up the splits and make them usable again?

Also, if I wanted to run 265.75R16 BFG ATs (or any other tubeless tyre) on the splits I would have to fit tubes - as I will be using this vehicle for 12 months before I leave how safe is this if I am running at highway speeds (70mph for +/- 5 hours) as I assume any problems (heat build up etc) would not be so pronounced for just the usual running around town / work etc?

Many thanks

enzo
Bundubasher
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter L - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 20:14

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 20:14
First you have to break the bead(the same as with a normal wheel)
You therefore need Beadbreaker/tyrepliers/slide hammer/motor vehicle or whatever.
Once this is done you will ne able to prise one end of the split over the edge of the wheel using tyrelever/large screwdriver/pinch bar etc.

As for fitting 265/75s these require a wider rim (need minimum 7")
whereas most splits are 5.5" or 6".
Suggest looking for 235/85 or similar.

Peter L.
AnswerID: 22234

Follow Up By: enzo - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 20:46
Thanks for that - that suits me as 235.85R16 make better expedition tyres (or so I have been led to beleive), the 265's were mainly for tar driving in the UK. Whatever the tyre size there is still the question of running tubes inside a tubeless tyre - anyone got any ideas?

Re: the splits, I've tried the above (I've been following the instructions at tyrepliers.com, and as I don't have any tyrepliers I've been running over the edges of the tyres with my 4x4)and I can find the slot but cannot lift the ring more than 1/2" above level. What can I do to break the rust bead - as I assume it is rusted in?

Many thanks
FollowupID: 14628

Reply By: Member - Andrew- Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:01

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:01
Hi
Take them down to the tyre place and have them strip them for you whilst you watch. Ask to have a go yourself and learn the tricks. Excellent way to be self sufficient. I saw in a 4wd mag one splitty out of 4 being driven without the tyre or split ring, (on the rear axle) the design is such that you can do this for a short time in emergancy.
Andrew
AnswerID: 22244

Reply By: Eric - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:13

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:13
Enzo.
You will have no problems running tubes in tubeless tyres. With you old tyres if you dont want to reuse the tyres you can burn the tyres in a fire, if you want to save the tyres you can spray some penetrene around the bead, wait 24 hours and then drive the blade of a shovel between the bead and rim and the while holding the shovel handle get some heavy person to jump on the blade. when you have liberated the wheels get them sand blasted and then paint them with a 2 pack epoxy paint, the epoxy dries with a smooth surface which will allow you to take the tyre off with you bare hands. enjoy your trip. Eric.
AnswerID: 22246

Reply By: enzo - Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:32

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 21:32
My only problem is that UK tyre centres won't touch split rims with a barge pole! I'll have to find a place that deals with the big ol mac truck type tyres and see if they'll part them for me as this is going to take some industrial strength tools to split.

Many thanks to all who have contributed so far.
AnswerID: 22248

Reply By: Member - Willem- Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 23:03

Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 23:03
Enzo,

If the big companies will not touch splits just go and find a smaller operator to help you get the tyres off. Then have them sandblasted and painted as mentioned in this thread.

I run 750x16 Light Truck tyres 8ply rating on splits on my vehicle. These are common bush tyres in Australia. See if you can find some in the UK. Buy 10ply if you can. These tyres should be safe to cruise at 100kmh. With them you can run your tubes without worry. At one stage in my life I ran 265 tubeless on splits with tubes and had too many punctures as the Landcruiser rims needed to be wider.

You can run 750x16's as low as 10psi and up to 50psi with ease.

If you have a friend with some welding expertise you can make your own bead breaker. Then buy a good set of tyre levers. Take plenty of puncture repair with you as well as 5 spare tubes. Don't forget to take a few valves as well. Also take at least two spare casings.
Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 22268

Follow Up By: desert - Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 20:35

Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 20:35
I can understand your reluctance to embrace tubeless tyres Willem, because I did too. However, having made the change, the many advantages of one-piece/tubeless over two piece/tubes, far outweigh the unecesary misgivings people have about tubeless tyres off-road. Believe me, after each trip with splits I was searching for a better way. That better way is with tubeless and one-piece rims. Now all that remains is to source tougher tyres in the wider section, viz 265/75. That search, I am still involved in.
regards.
FollowupID: 14718

Reply By: stevesub - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:11

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:11
When I was in South Africa klast year, they were using 14 ply tyres on their landrovers in the game park where I stayed. It solved 90% of their puncture problems by using such tyres when compared with tyres with less plys.

We cruise at 100kph for days with our split rims and no problems. We use 750-16 LT tyres (8 ply) here in Australia but have not done any real long distance in the rough.
AnswerID: 22283

Reply By: desert - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 16:25

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 16:25
Why bother with split rims??? They are old technology, are heavy, hard to balance,allow water ingress and therefore rust, need tubes to function, and are limited to a few narrow sizes!.Ditch the splits are get a set of one-piece steel rims, ideally 16x7 and run with your 265/75x16 as first thought. The days of demounting tyres to repair rotten old tubes are gone, thankfully. Get yourself a set of tubless repair ropes and welcome to the twentieth century! You'll be much happier not repairing tubes, not demountings tyres, just plug them and carry on. Let the experts do the repairs when you get into town. Best thing I did was toss the splits!
AnswerID: 22312

Follow Up By: CJ - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 17:37

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 17:37
Hear hear!!
FollowupID: 14674

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 18:14

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 18:14
Yeah and when you cut the sidewall of your digital tyre then you have to throw it away. Not everthing that is modern is better. Try driving cross-country with your new tyres. No worries if you puncture it through the tread, just plug it and away you go again but punctire it elsewhere and your tyre is history. And at a cost!! So some of us oldies will stick with the outdated technology and bide our time fixing tyres where others fear to tread :-)Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 14675

Follow Up By: Slammin - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 22:21

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 22:21
tubeless tires on fixed rims are great if you rarely get a flat.
FollowupID: 14681

Follow Up By: desert - Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 12:58

Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 12:58
Well Willem, I do drive cross-country, every expedition I lead. I need to cover trackless country on deflated tyres to do so. When I slash a sidewall,and I cannot plug it, I have to remove it just like a split rim. The point that you have failed to grasp is that, 9 out of 10 punctures, I do not have to do anything more than insert a plug. The odd time that the tyre has to be demounted to be patched or replaced is no bother with the modern bead-breakers and tyre pliers that are now common fare. After 26 years of split rims, viva a la tubeless "digital" tyres!
FollowupID: 14694

Follow Up By: Member - Willem- Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 17:10

Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 17:10
Hi Desert,
You did not read my follow-up correctly. I still need to be convinced and the finish I will agree to disagree with your point of view :-)

In the same vein but along another line. I was watching Discovery Channel and saw some real adventurers tackle the Antarctic in two Landcruisers. Due to the freezing conditions they encountered they had a unique way of slipping the bead back on to their 'digital' tyres by pouring fuel around the rim and igniting it with a mini flame thrower. A tad dangerous but very effective. The force generated by the explosion enters the tubeless tyre pushing the bead back on to the rim. Then all they have to do is to re-inflate the tyre.Cheers, Willem
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 14708

Reply By: enzo - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 18:58

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 18:58
Yeh - sidewall punctures and ease of changing LT tires with stiff sidewalls were the reason why I wanted to go back to splits for my african raid. For the past year I've been using Pirelli Scorpion ATs (tubeless) and they are a nice road tyre - but the sidewalls are as soft as cheese (well at least the exterior part), I've already had to throw one away due to a sidewall puncture and that hurt (my pocket), and they were pretty useless in the clay/mud we get here in the UK.

I've been in one african roll-over due to a tubeless' "sudden massive failure" and I don't really want to be in another (I'm not as bouncy as I used to be!). I suppose I would prefer the belt and braces approach - run tubeless on steel rims until I get a punture and then patch/repair it and fit a tube. I would also prefer to be relatively self sufficient - as I know from working in Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana that every town does not have a pro - tyre shop but tubes, patches and raw grunt are never truly in short supply!

Enzo - Bundubasher
AnswerID: 22322

Sponsored Links