Google Earth GPS

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 09:11
ThreadID: 53922 Views:2339 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I like searching Aus using Google earth. I have noticed that down the left hand corner are GPS points. I have located various places that I would like to visit and have noted those GPS locations. Can anyone advise if the GPS points on Google earth are accurate. I want to put GPS points off Google earth into my in-car GPS and hopefully end up where I wanted to go.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Happy Australia Day.

Cheers
jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 09:17

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 09:17
Jack,

I put the GPS co ordinance of my home in Google Earth and it was very close.

I have also done this with a few other places and again they seem very close.

Wayne
AnswerID: 283912

Follow Up By: Member - Bushpig - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:11

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:11
Thanks Wayne
FollowupID: 548634

Reply By: howie - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:24

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:24
try it near where you live?
AnswerID: 283926

Reply By: wigger - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:39

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:39
Bushpig, Disregard all this if you already know it.
You will get better accuracy if you get the the map onto its 50 metre resolution before right clicking and marking the point. Use the "sattelite" selection, rather than "map', turning off the "show labels" box. If you switch from "maps' to "sattelite" you'll see that quite often the road lines on "map" don't actually follow the roads that are on the "sattelite" view. A good eample of this is the shortcut road which runs from 14 kms west of Eulo, in a NW direction to the Quilpie/Thargomindah rd. Have a look at the "map" road at this junction and compare it to the "sattelite"
road. Miles out. The Plenty Highway is the same in parts.

How do you convert these digitised L/L points to minutes and seconds?
If you make routes with waypoints on them in Google, how do you save them as maps. It seesms to just save them as"locations"
and I would like to pull up the map again with the interveening mileages on them?
AnswerID: 283928

Follow Up By: Member - Bushpig - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:10

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:10
Thanks wigger, I will investigate all of this and do a trial run.

Cheers
Jack
FollowupID: 548633

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 18:53

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 18:53
Are we all talking about the same thing?....some of that description sounds like "Google Maps", not "Google Earth"......i'm not sure which one the OP was requiring, however i thought we were talking about GE.

Andrew
FollowupID: 548683

Follow Up By: wigger - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 20:35

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 20:35
Yus I was rong,
I have been referring to GOOGLE maps. Is Google earth better to use?
FollowupID: 548694

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 20:47

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 20:47
yes and no......it doesn't have the same map image (the road look) capability (just the satellite, hybrid and terrain styles).

It depends on your use, however Google Maps is good for routes and location searching (aka white and yellow page style searching).

GE does give you coordinates, hence the question :-)

Give it a go, since it's free. ;-)

Andrew
FollowupID: 548695

Follow Up By: wigger - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 22:40

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 22:40
Andrew,
Can you answer question above re decimal to mins secs conversion. G M's gives you a dec. figure
Is there any way of determining date of satellite image(apart from
seeing that somebodys roof has been painted etc)
Since in Google maps there are areas of lesser resolution, why has there been no updating of these with new images. Some of the images could be six or eight years old. Googling G E history dosen't give any info on the mechanics of the process.
FollowupID: 548706

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 23:09

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 23:09
There are numerous ways to convert decimal degrees (DD.DDDDD) to decimal minutes (DD MM.MMMM) etc.

Remember there are 60 secs to a minute, 60 minutes to a degree.

Why not change your GPS to the same format as GM's thereby having no problem converting......afterward, you can always convert it back to the preferred format as the location will not change.

The rest of the questions, i am not the person to ask, suffice to say, what do you expect from something that is essentially free :-)

Data has not been captured (or otherwise payed for) by some Australian business/government in many cases for Google etc to benefit from this. (not always the case). For instance, i am aware of the small runs taken in The Whitsundays by a Governement Department that have now appeared in Google Earth.

I suspect they wont give away their techniques etc....

Andrew
FollowupID: 548712

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 16:26

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 16:26
I have an antitheft tracking device in my Nissan and when I dial it up to get it's location and then feed those co-ordinates into Google maps it shows my nissan sitting in the front drive exactly where it is parked - (in fact when I swithc to sattelite view I can ACTUALLY see it parked there - so at least where I live the sattelite image is no more than 12 months old :-))- so allowing for the day to day vagaries (wander) of the sattelites I would say (tongue in cheek here) it will be close enough that it doesnt matter :-)))

Not getting at you here - but it makes me laugh when i see ppl saying GPS lat /long is crap - it 'only' gets to within 5 - 10 -15 (doesnt really matter for our use) meters - geeze if I cant SEE my car, or SEE the track or SEE the town or SEE the city from 5-10-15 meters away then I dont need a GPS.

I need GLASSES :-) :-)
AnswerID: 283953

Sponsored Links