Alco Suspension

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 09:19
ThreadID: 53924 Views:5646 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey!
Does anyone have a trailer with Alco suspension & can you tell me if it performs as good as trailing arm independent etc. Still looking for a good Off Road camper trailer for around $8k
Cheers
Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:18

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:18
Jason,

Yes I do! No I can't.

I have a Halls Off Road Camper Trailer fitted with Alco Independent Suspension, now almost seven years old.

Have travelled pretty rugged roads and tracks and am satisfied with the performance.

Not having experienced Sugar Glider or Control Rider type suspension systems I'm not in a position to offer comparisons.

I would be most happy to go the Alko again, the only difference being the addition next time around of shock (rebound) absorbers. This is not a criticism of the Alko as any suspension system benefits from the fitting of shock absorbers.

Ian
AnswerID: 283925

Follow Up By: jjt98 - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:47

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:47
Thanks for your reply Ian. Ive been told that independent suspension gives a smoother ride and more clearance however the alco still has an axle.
Thanks again for the feed back.
Cheers
Jason
FollowupID: 548630

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:31

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:31
Hi Jason,

I have a Southern Cross camper trailer with ALCO suspension. We've had no problem with it for the past 5 years. I am afraid I cannot make a comparison to trailing arm independent suspension, though I suspect the latter likely to be more robust for extreme off-road travel. The ALCO suspension doesn't really have an axle as such but a torque tube that contains the rubber torque elements. This attaches close to floor height and has trailing arms down to the stub axles. This does offer more clearance than traditional solid axle trailer.

Where in WA are you? More than welcome to look at our trailer.

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 283934

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:17

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:17
Interesting topic for me - I'm researching 'rough road capable' caravans - one I know uses the ALKO suspension, and others use a variety of ind. sprung set ups, both coil and leaf. The latter seem to have an advantage in that the springing height and compression rates can be altered if required (swap leaves and coils etc.) - most of the coils and leaf systems employ shocks too. Would it be true that the ALKO has no scope for adjustment of springing ..... it is factory set us such, for keeps ?
FollowupID: 548775

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 12:46

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 12:46
Stumbled across this ............
http://www.alko.com.au/vehicle/brochure/documents/9734_ALKO_axlebro_screen.pdf
Mainly a sales orientated flyer - have emailed ALKO a query about adjustment of ride height, post installation.
FollowupID: 548820

Reply By: Smudger - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 20:00

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 20:00
Had 2 CT's with ALKO suspension. First was a TREK, it was pretty lightweigth and bounced aqround a fair bit, especially annoying on the freeway. Our current CT is an old Dingo, over enineered and very heavy. It follows like a cattle dog and is great off road. We've taken it on some pretty rugged track and we keep forgetting it's there. The ony concern I have is that if it lets go in the bush, there's no way to jury rig a 'limp home' suspension. We'd haveto wait for a new axle to be freighted and then installed. However, others I know who've been running with ALO for years have had no issues.
AnswerID: 283973

Reply By: Member - Big Al. Gold Coast - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 15:51

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 15:51
We had the Alko suspension on our camper , very good over very rough roads . Had the camper for 5 years,
We are now waiting delivery of new europian made van with the same setup.

Make sure that any Alko supension that you buy is not welded to the chassis. The axle has to come off so the rubber can be replaced.
AnswerID: 284106

Reply By: Rocky_QLD - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:45

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:45
Hi Jason

I can definately give a fair comparison, our last camper had Alko suspension and performed very well especially on corrugations. We had that unit for over 6 years. We got our new Pioneer C/T with fully independent suspension in the middle of last year and I think the only difference is the Pioneer has a softer ride. Good luck with your search.

Regards
Rocky
AnswerID: 284274

Sponsored Links