out bord on drawbar and weight factor ?

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:43
ThreadID: 53928 Views:2293 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all ,I have a 15 Hp outboard motor it weighs 42 Kg and I have it towards the front of the draw bar on a cradle that I made which use to work great with the old 6Hp johno but now has caused me a bit of grief with the motor hitting my swing out jerry can holder on the back of my cruiser resulting in breaking the tilly arm on a brand new never been used motor when I turn tight so now I'm thinking of a 100 x 50 x3.0 RHS up against the front of the van going across the draw bar in the centre I will remount a bike rack in the centre and on the ends I will make a pivot arm like what I have on the cruiser with a latch but instead of mounting a wheel or jerry can holder I will have the out board on the drivers side and on the pass side I will make a cradle for the fuel tank 25 LTRS max so what I am asking is am I putting too much weight on the draw bar or for that matter the back of the 100 ser toyo? I need it to be able to swing out because I have a Windsor Rapid and the beds fold down and just to fill in the gaps I have a tinnie on the roof of the cruiser and I have a fold up trailer on the back bar of the van near the spare wheel , I hope I have given you all enough info LOL! thank you all for taking the time to read this and I hope to read some feed back soon.

Regards J.B.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:06

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:06
The obvious answer is take it to a weighbridge.
You get the prize for the longest sentence ever............!

Are you using a WDH cos it makes a difference.
What does the van manual state for Towball weight and the Gross weight of the whole thing. It is usually Tare plus 200kg for a single axle or 400kg for a tandem and is stated on the compliance plate on the van.
You may well find you are heavily overloaded and there is also
Gross combined mass to consider.
This is the total weight of the whole rig fully loaded with everything including passengers and is stated in the Croozer manual. The result of an insurance assesors finding may well result in a total loss of claim in the event of having an accident while overloaded.
AnswerID: 283937

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:46

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:46
WOW!!!!!
200 words in one sentence!

FollowupID: 548645

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:47

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:47
I should have said Aggregate total mass for the all up weight Gross weight is ATM less ball weight
FollowupID: 548654

Reply By: Member - len W (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:26

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:26
hi Johnny send me an email and ill send you some pictures of my motor standing on the a frame on its own frame

lwilko44@optusnet.com.au..........

....... len
AnswerID: 283938

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:35

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:35
JB, if I understand you correctly, you currently have the motor on the draw bar, up towards the front. You are looking to move it back against the van. If so, straight away, that is a good idea. Firstly it solves you problem of damaging the motor, but it will also reduce your ball weight.

Also, you can carry the fuel tank empty (or near) to reduce weight. I carry the fuel tank (empty) and other light stuff in a basket under the boat on Hilux roof. Amazing how much room there is up there.

Draw bar set up and ball weight are pretty importand safety issues. To be sure, I'd be checking with the van manufacturer on what they say is the maximum weight you can carry on the draw bar. Your owners manual will tell you the maximum ball weight for the vehicle. Probably 300KG or so.
AnswerID: 283939

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:38

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:38
Its my understanding that anything forward of the van axle will contribute to ball weight
FollowupID: 548653

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 16:20

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 16:20
Yes Graham you are right. And the further forward the weight is, the more it contributes to ball weight. Simple lever principle. So moving the 42KG motor from right at the front of the draw bar to the back of the draw bar (against the van) will reduce the ball weight.
FollowupID: 548667

Reply By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 16:57

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 16:57
Yeh and you could stand an 80kg person there and you wouldn't give it another thought, what I'm driving at is people will question a 240kg box in a station wagon but would carry 3x80kg adults without any concern.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 283958

Sponsored Links