Lockers ARB or Factory

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:32
ThreadID: 53929 Views:3377 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at a possible upgrade

It I was to buy a Troopy would I be better off with the Factory Lockers or go the ARB way

Are there any restrictions with the factory Lockers

Factory lockers cost approx @2800.00

ARB Lockers costs approx $3500.00

Dennis
Looking at retiring the Prado
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:41

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:41
No warranty issues with factory lockers, plus a 3 year 100K warranty and $700 cheaper. Only issue seems to be how they compare to the ARB ones in functionality and toughness.

I'm looking to upgrade to a 70 Series Tray Back and leaning toward factory lockers. So I'm also interested in feedback from people who have used them as well.

Norm C
AnswerID: 283940

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:58

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 13:58
Why would you buy and over priced after market part, when a genuine Toyota part made for a Toyota is $700 cheaper.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers Steve.

FollowupID: 548648

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:05

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:05
I had ARB lockers on my previous Troopy.
Very good product in every respect.
The only reason I got ARB lockers was I could not wait the 3 months for the Troopy with factory fitted to arrive.

I replace vehicles every 3 years and have now got a Troopy with FF lockers as I was a bit better organised this time.

Both products work very well, the FF seem to take a little longer to engage a few seconds type thing.
For the reasons in the posts above go the FF lockers in my view.
No warranty issues and cheaper.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 283943

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 21:48

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 21:48
I should add that the reliability of both Toyota and or ARB lockers seem to be excellent.
Never hear of any issues with the Factory stuff and very little with the ARB ones.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 548701

Reply By: desert - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:17

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:17
Aside from the locking capability of both products, the ARB system replaces the hemisphere with a billett steel machined peice which is five times the strength of the factory cast iron one. And of course there is the ability to run compressed air from the ARB compressor.
AnswerID: 283944

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:23

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:23
Hi
Have a 2004 T/D troopy i bought new with factory lockers. The reason i went for the factory one's was that i was claiming the vehicle for work and could not have justified them to the ATO if put on after.
I have used them a bit but not heaps(probably engaged aprox 100-200 times). Seem to be getting better with age. Was very unhappy at first as they were very hard to lock then equally hard to unlock! My choice at this point in time would be ARB, why,because they lock instantly.
With the problem i have, if you need to get them in quick you find yourself with full power on trying to engage the lockers.
You don't need the Toyota manual telling you not to do this to know it is not an ideal situation.I could very well end up destroying mine because of this. The alternative is to stop and engage them(by which time you are bogged),and they won't actually engage when stationary. How far must i drive before they engage i hear you ask,MMM, anywhere from 5 to 500 meters.
As said this may get better over time and mine are much looser than they were.
Re warranty, i would rather deal with ARB than Toyota!
I have found ARB's backing of their products to be FANTASTIC
Good luck and if you wish to call me for any other info re this
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 283946

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:35

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 14:35
lyndon
As you say you have to stop to engage, thats why I prefer Auto Detroit Lockers, the rear diff always there ready for work anytime, anywhere,no switches to operate,no compressor to activate, No stopping ,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 548652

Follow Up By: baldman - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 15:27

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 15:27
Doug,

how do the Detroit l;ockers compare in price against the FF or the ARB?
FollowupID: 548662

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 16:01

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 16:01
baldman
If I can remember the rear was about $1600 fitted and the front was aroud $1900, as you would know the front has more work to be done, of course todays prices would be more I guess,do some shopping around or call Diff Lapping, Brisbane

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 548665

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 17:34

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 17:34
"if you need to get them in quick you find yourself with full power on trying to engage the lockers."

is this a good idea? sounds a bit lie a recipe for a snapped axle?
FollowupID: 548676

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 18:05

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 18:05
"if you need to get them in quick you find yourself with full power on trying to engage the lockers."

is this a good idea? sounds a bit lie a recipe for a snapped axle?
FollowupID: 548679

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:21

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 09:21
I agree! thats why i wish i'd gone for ARB air lockers!
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 548759

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 16:23

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 16:23
Just a thought, what about an air locker or standard Toyota locker in the rear so that you can lock/unlock as required and a Detroit or whatever auto unlocker in the front. The reason I,m suggesting this is the Detroits in the rear do their own thing which is good off road, sometimes not so good on road. On wet or slippery surfaces they can be a little unpredictable IMHO

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 283952

Reply By: Barry 2 - Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 19:51

Sunday, Jan 27, 2008 at 19:51
Hi Dennis
I agree with John, I had an 80series LC with ARB lockers on rear very happy. Now I have a 79 series TD LC with factory lockers front and rear very happy with them also, my opinion you won't go wrong with either comes down to what John mentioned earlier Good Luck
Cheers
Bazza
AnswerID: 283972

Reply By: Skinnydog - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 14:01

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 14:01
Due to a mates problems with his front ARB air leaker I bit the bullet and tried TJM pro locker & couldnt be happier. They are reportedly stronger than ARB's & dont rely on an O ring that is prone to wear which my mate has replaced twice at the cost of $300 and it has failed again. If buying new I would go the factory units as cheaper & you get 3 year warrenty as opposed to 12 months with after market.
Just my 2 bobs worth.
AnswerID: 284090

Reply By: bardenboy - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 21:43

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 21:43
Thanks every one for the input, I will more than likely go the FF Diff Locks.

I took the 76 series workmate for a test drive over the weekend and I must say its a great truck, I ran the tape measure over the back and its the same size as the 120 Prado, I bit taller and squarer so would hold more.

I do a lot of town driving so the 76 series would suite me better than the larger troopy

Dennis
AnswerID: 284219

Follow Up By: KSV. - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:26

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:26
My 2 cents

I been thinking and hesitating what to put into mine for quite a while and done quite extensive research. This is my thought.

Neither lock instantaneously. Both need some diff movement (i.e. rotating one wheel against other) to lock. Fastest way to do it to make some turning or wheel spin. However ARB has more teeth and thus locks faster because require much less movement to do it (in fact much faster). Also neither unlock under load. Again easiest way to make light turn left and right.

Both strong enough to do job. Biggest disadvantage of ARB is pneumatic actuation and everything what associated with it. Possible air leak, compressor failure and line puncture. But more then anything else is wearing o-ring and getting oil into air line and only known remedy is to disassemble and replace o-ring. Huge advantage of factory ones over ARB is fact that factory lockers show you on dashboard when they actually locked (and unlocked) while there is no way (except of feeling) to figure out if ARB locked. When you flick switch it only means that air let into diff and does not nesesarily means that they locked.

Biggest disadvantage of factory lockers is fact that there is no “see through” whole in diff. That means if you happened to break axle in “inconvenient” spot, then you have to cut diff housing to disassemble it. It is relatively rare event, but known to happens. Also factories incredibly difficult to retrofit (talking here about 80 series, not sure about troopy). Rear diff is semi OK – one need very careful grinding application, but front is nightmare – some meat need to be add-on and new stud pattern established. Thus it came to the point when replacing whole axle is more visible. In additional factory lockers from wrecker MORE expensive then ARB and incredibly rare.

Due to these facts I did put ARB and they works admirably. But if I would buy new LC, it would be only with factory ones.

Cheers
Serg
FollowupID: 549039

Sponsored Links