GQ : Click Click Front wheel bearing

Submitted: Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 13:36
ThreadID: 53965 Views:3254 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I drove the GQ for the first time in a few weeks today and noticed that the front right wheel was making a click click noise. I jacked it up when i got home and noticed a bit of play in the bearing. My question is will i need to replace the bearings or just regrease them. Also any advise ie: particular tools and things to be carefull with would be much appreciated. I dont know if this will have anything to do with it but the drivers side wheel had a fair impact on it when a streetlight jumped out in front of it while my son was driving it about six months ago. I have only done about 1000ks since that happened and didnt notice any problems.

Thanks

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 13:45

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 13:45
Hi Steve,
Streetlights can have that effect on front bearings! But first check that it's not the free-wheeling hub causing the problem - they can start clicking, esp if auto-locking.
If it is the bearing, you should be able to do the job yourself, but you'll need a 52mm socket to unlock the hub nuts if it's a GQ. You should be able to get the bearing outers removed with a hammer and drift, and press the new ones in with the bench vice. Would also recommend you change the inner bearing grease seal.
Don't forget to use proper high-temp bearing grease.
I made a 52mm socket years ago for the GQ/Mav, but loaned it and never got it back, probably coz he reckoned I didn't need it anymore!
Gerry
AnswerID: 284086

Reply By: PeterInSa - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 13:57

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 13:57
I would have thought the wheel would be going around to fast to be able to hear separate click clicks from a wheel bearing. Appreciate you telling us if working on the wheel bearing fixes the problem.

I understand a Clunk Clunk sound is a CV joint problem, but a clunk is definitely different from a click.

Peter
AnswerID: 284087

Follow Up By: Member - steve H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 14:03

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 14:03
It is definately click click not clunk clunk and it doesnt seem to hapen in reverse but i only reversed for about 10 mtrs

Steve
FollowupID: 548830

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 14:04

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 14:04
Probably a long shot but I thought I would mention it 'just in case'

If you have auto locking front wheel hubs make sure that you have done the 10 metre reverse action since last using them.

I was on my way home the other night and had the stereo off, and the window open (something that I don't do that often) and heard a clicking noise each time I turned the wheel to negotiate a corner.

As soon as I became aware of it I stopped and reversed back about 10 meters and voila no more clicking

It is worth a try 'just in case' :-)
AnswerID: 284091

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 16:35

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 16:35
KiwiAngler,

I would fine a grass area that you can drive on in 4wd with the hubs locked, not just in auto hub.

In low range drive slowly forward on full lock and see if you get this noise again. There shouldn't be any noise from the front end, but if there is it could be the start of CV's on the way out.

I hope that I am wrong.

Wayne
FollowupID: 548852

Reply By: splits - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 17:59

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 17:59
Steve

Was the clicking noise still there when the car was jacked up?

The others are right about free wheeling hubs and CV joints being a possible source of the noise. Wheel bearings don't usually make a clicking noise but it may be possible though. I have repaired a few cars over the years that have had an impact on the rear wheels resulting in a bent axle flange. Some of them have had the bearing outer cones cracked right through in one place while the cones in others have been broken into multiple pieces. If that has happened to yours then it may be possible for the bearing to make a clicking sound.

I would definately take them out and check them even if there were no noises. Those bearings should be tightened up with a slight pressure (preload) on them. They should never have any freeplay. If they do then it is always advisable to check and see why.

If you do pull them apart yourself then set the preload according to factory specifications. The instructions will be in your workshop manual.

Brian
AnswerID: 284145

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 18:58

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 18:58
In my experience if it is CVs the noise will be much worse when you are steering on full lock. Worth considering this as part of your diagnosis.
AnswerID: 284167

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 19:04

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 19:04
Norm,

There is very little noise if any unless you have drive going thorough the CV. That is why you must have the front hubs locked and 4wd selected in the transfer box.

Wayne
FollowupID: 548905

Reply By: d04 - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 21:25

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 21:25
I had a click click noise in my 1995 Patrol, and all it was was the brake discs brake needed to be changed,that click noise was a warning about low brake discs, I dont know if this applys to current models, but it was a built in warning on the 1995 Patrol.
AnswerID: 284217

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 23:18

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 23:18
Make sure theres no stones stuck in the tread :-)
AnswerID: 284248

Reply By: Member - steve H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 00:07

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 00:07
I spoke to a mate tonight (truck mechanic) and he says it sounds like a crook bearing due to the impact a few months ago. Will start working on it tomorow night replacing both left and right just to be safe.

Keep you all posted on the outcome

Thanks

Steve
ps:

there are photos of the impact damage in my rig pics
AnswerID: 284254

Sponsored Links