Caravan simultaneous 240V and 12V

Submitted: Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:06
ThreadID: 53983 Views:30415 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I am trying to run both a 240v and 12v system in my caravan. At the moment I have a 12V transformer for running a few 12V devices but have to rely on an external 240v source.

I am thinking of purchasing a 12V battery for the caravan so I can run these devices when I don't have any 240V and then charging the battery when I'm not using it. I have thought of a few ways of doing this however am looking for some advice.

My first thought was to have a manual switching system where I can switch between the 12V transformer and the 12V battery. E.g. When i'm at a site with 240V electricity I can just run the transformer. When there is no 240V I can switch to the battery source. My second thought was to see if I can get a device to do this automatically.

If anyone has any comments or any suggestions how I can go about doing this please feel free to respond.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:11

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:11
Change your transformer to a battery charger and use the picture below as a guide.

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 284189

Follow Up By: Camoco - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 13:21

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 13:21
Hi Julio,
I run the same setup as Derek describes above (bought it from him also) except I do not run an inverter (because I have no need) and I do not draw power from the tow vehicle. I get my power from the solar panels on the roof.

The system is dead simple and just works.

I also have a 12v fridge/freezer and water pump that runs from the 12v system, hence the van is always running on 12v. I have 240v circuits for the A/C and a number of outlets throughout the van for the microwave, hairdryer shaver etc for when plugged into mains or genny. Obviously these don't work when not connected to mains, but the small number of times you need 240v it is a good compromise. As the Fridge, stove, extractor fan, water pump, tv, radio, lights do not need 240v, there is little inconvenience. We do hook up the genny for a hot shower though as we use an instant electric HW system and not gas as it was much cheaper and suited our needs. But most showers are taken after driving and the heat of the road helps to warm the water tanks so it is not always needed anyway. Just a bit of planning.

As it is always running I use the fridge for my overflow house fridge when the van is at home and I very rarely connect the van to mains. I only do that when long overcast and if I want to get away from everyone and use the A/C.

I don't even think too much about what voltage is what as it just works. It charges the 2 100amp AGM's during the day or if it needs a top up from the mains, without touching anything. I can check the SOC (state of charge) of the batteries by looking at the LCD readout for the panel charger.
This van is for my in-laws to use during their trip around the block and so it is setup to suit them as they don't want to think about any of that technical stuff.
It works for them as it has no connection to the tow vehicle other than running lights and electric brakes that use the standard plug arrangement.

The real beauty of this arrangement is it's simplicity. There is only one light switch type required (12v), no rush to plug into mains (unless you need the microwave), and it all works all the time the same way no matter where you are and it plugs just as it would with a "regular" van (in-laws are used to 1960's-1970's caravanning).

Contact Derek if you need info as he is only too happy to help. No i have no association other than happy customer.

Cheers Cam
FollowupID: 549062

Reply By: Notso - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:13

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:13
There are systems available to do what you ask automaitically. Cost a fair bit I've heard but can't give details.

I use a manual switch system in my van and it works OK. Nice and simple.

I also use a thing called the "Arrid Twin Charge" to charge the battery from the vehicle when towing. There is some info here:

http://www.12volt.com.au/redirect.html?a=/General%20Htmls/webcat2003/batterysystems.html
AnswerID: 284190

Follow Up By: Member - Brian A (NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 21:41

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 21:41
Notso,

I'm in the process of trying to decide on a better system for charging the battery in my camper trailer - 120AH Fullriver.

I've checked out the Arrid web site, where they rate them at 20 amp max, which would be good, if it does deliver 20 amps.

Do you know what rate of charge you actually get when your Arrid is in use?

Currently I can only get about 6 to 7 amps per hour charge rate. That's with the 120AH battery starting @ minus 50 amp hours. Trailer battery is connected to second battery in engine bay via 'heavy cable' and 50 amp Anderson plugs to trailer.

Thanks
Brian

FollowupID: 548961

Follow Up By: Notso - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 22:54

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 22:54
The unit draws maximum 20 amps from the vehicle battery to charge the battery but I doubt that it would actually achieve 20amps charge rate. I think there would be losses in the system somewhere.

The techs at Arrid are quite helpfulll with advice etc so a call to them may give you some facts on charging rates.

There are two different models of charger, one for sealed and one for other lead acid types. So it's probably worth talking to them about that too.
FollowupID: 548976

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 00:30

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 00:30
Notso

Do not expect that the current drawn from any battery charger will be its full rated output at all times whilst charging a battery.

Batteries that are well discharged will not draw much current when they are first connected. I have seen flat car batteries that only accepted 2A from a 16.5V power supply, they took some time to start to draw much current and after a while I had to turn the PSU down as it was supplying its full current. For a while the PSU would supply 10A and as the charge came up I would increase the voltage to 14V and as the battery came up to about 60% charge the current would start to taper off.

If you wish to prove the maximum output of a charger you first have to ascertain that it is capable of producing enough current and then you have to observe its current output through the full cycle. I can assure you that if you are charging a big enough battery that is well discharged with an Arrid twin charger then you will achieve 20A output during some portion of the charge cycle. At maximum output you will be drawing more than 20A from your alternator - you will be boosting the voltage and you do not get anything for nothing + you will have some power losses in the twin charger (possibly 15-25%)

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 549002

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 00:35

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 00:35
Correction in my third paragraph, second line:

"producing enough current and then you have" should read "producing enough voltage to charge the battery and then you have"

PeterD

Oh for the ability to edit a posting or the ability to cancel it and post again.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 549005

Follow Up By: Notso - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:01

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:01
I'm wel aware of that, as I said I have no idea what amps it is putting into the battery, just that it's requirement is 20 amps input. The unit won't operate correctly if the line can't deliver 20 amps. It can use voltages anywhere between 11.5 and 15 if I remember correctly.

FollowupID: 549028

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 00:45

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 00:45
Notso

I do not think you are "wel aware of that." The twin charge is capable of putting out 20 amps of output.

20 A output at 14.5 V is 290 W. Your input could be possibly 12 V, if it is this low then 290 W of power will draw 24.2 A of current. If the Twin charge is 80% efficient then it will require an additional 25% current to drive it. We thus require 30.2 A from a 12 V line to produce an output of 20 A - a little higher than you are claiming.

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 549191

Follow Up By: Notso - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:43

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:43
Maaate , read all the posts thouroughly and then have a beer or two and then apologise for not reading what I have said.
FollowupID: 549229

Reply By: kend88 - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:26

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:26
I would imagine the majority of caravans manufactured over the past 10 years or more would have the system you are contemplating. If you don't have a friend or aquaintance with a van set up that way, you could perhaps have a look at a few in van sale yards.

Ken D
Brisbane
AnswerID: 284193

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 00:40

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 00:40
Ken

Unfortunately they do not. Most caravan manufacturers do not seem to understand 12V systems. They employ electrical contractors to wire their vans and they seem to know less than auto electricians about how to engineer a good deep cycle battery system and if you ask them about solar they are completely lost.

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 549008

Reply By: TD100 - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:51

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 20:51
Julio,

there is a power supply that will do exactly what you want,Jayco caravans have them in them standard.all accessories in the van are 12v,only power points are 240v.i have seen them sold outside in caravan supply places but the brand escapes me at the minute,if i remember i will let you know.i have added dvd and tv plus some extra lights,it has 5 12v 7.5a 0utputs plus a battery/change over also in it so when on 240v it uses internal transformer to run everything but when 240v is disconnected it changes straight to 12v with no drop out.very good unit.cheers Paul
AnswerID: 284201

Follow Up By: TD100 - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 21:10

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 21:10
just remembered the brand SETEC in melbourne would be them.cheers Paul
FollowupID: 548958

Follow Up By: disco1942 - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 00:44

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 00:44
The Setec power supplies as used in Jaycos would be the last thing I would use to run a deep cycle battery. They are only capable of trickle charging a battery. They do not supply sufficient voltage to fully charge a battery.

PeterD
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 549010

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 22:14

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 22:14
Have a 120a Fullriver in back of Prado as 2nd battery and a 40a Fullriver in van for 12v when needed.

Van battery is charged whilst travelling trough an Anderson plug and wiring in back of vehicle connects to battery through an Anderson plug to one of Derek's Flyer battery boxes.

These boxes have IN and Out Anderson plugs and my Waeco CF50 runs off battery when travelling via the OUT Anderson plug

When 240 is available I use a Ctek7000 to charge battery , via the Anderson plug that connects car to van for charging of van battery.

The Ctek has been fitted with an Anderson plug to permit the charging outlined above and I also use the 240v plug for the Waeco , which is plugged into a double adaptor which also has the Ctek attached.

The Waeco will use 240v when available over the 12v even though both type of leads are fitted at same time.

When I leave 240 v I simply pull out the Ctek Anderson plug so that vehcile 's Anderson plugcan be connected to van' plug and disconnect the IN 240v lead to double adaptor.

The beauty of this set up is that vehcile can be locked at night as the 240v lead and Ctek lead to Anderson plug fit under rear door when closed.

Hope that makes sense

Pedro
AnswerID: 284227

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 22:16

Monday, Jan 28, 2008 at 22:16
Forgot to mention that if you want to charge van battery you would only need to connect the Ctek to van Anderson Plug and the Ctek obviously to 240v.

Pedro
FollowupID: 548968

Reply By: Wok - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 07:39

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 07:39
Quote: [My first thought was to have a manual switching system where I can switch between the 12V transformer and the 12V battery. E.g. When i'm at a site with 240V electricity I can just run the transformer. When there is no 240V I can switch to the battery source. My second thought was to see if I can get a device to do this automatically.]

I do it automatically with this 240Vac relay, its connected in parallel with the 240Vac-12VDC power supply.Sorry I can't describe the connection{got myself into a knot trying:(]

The end result when 240Vac is connected....
The Aux battery is been charged via a Hitec
The load is powered by the 240Vac-12VDC supply
AnswerID: 284266

Sponsored Links