Internal divider - Trailblaza Fridge

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 14:59
ThreadID: 53998 Views:4874 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I'm intending to buy or make an internal divider for my 60L Trailblaza, to separate frozen from unfrozen foods.

Norcoast (Trailblaza manufacturer) sell a hinged divider for $55. Alternatively, it would be easy enough to make one up.

Questions:-
Best materials?
Best way to support the divider at a given height inside the fridge?
Anyone found any ready-made baskets or containers that fit neatly inside the 60L (for easy removal to access freezer secrion)?

Thanks and regards

Spliney
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 15:34

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 15:34
Hi Spliney,
Make a note of the inside dimensions, and you might just be able to find a plastic basket in your shopping travels which neatly fits. I was able to find a couple of perfect-fit baskets for my Autofridge at Woolworths a few years back.
As an aside, a friend made an aluminiium divider for his Engel, and it chafed thru the evaporator plate, causing refrigerant to leak and ruining it.
Gerry
AnswerID: 284319

Follow Up By: spliney - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 17:07

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 17:07
Thanks Gerry - appreciate the advice.
FollowupID: 549095

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 16:06

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 16:06
Hi Spliney, the divider setup in my 60ltr Trailblaza consists of an aluminium frame made from 20x20x1mm aluminim angle ( the same as used on shower screen frames) on which sits a 15mm thick marine-ply board hinged in the middle with a 20mm hole drilled into either end so the partitian can be opened from either end to allow access to the freezer part. The frame has four legs & is held together by pop rivets. I have fitted rubber pads to the bottom of the legs & sides to stop it from rattling when traversing rough roads ect. The top of the frame is half the fridge depth distance When using the bottom section as a freezer & the top as a fridge I have found a thermostat setting of 4 is sufficient to keep food in a frozen condition. This setup I made when I bought the Trailblaza some 22 years ago at the suggestion of the manufacturer (Norcoast) & has worked well. I also fitted a plastic mesh mat similar to what you find in some commercial freezes to the bottom floor of the freezer section to facilitate air flow under the frozen food. This makes the freezer more efficient in the freezing process. Very simple & easy to make & can be removed with ease. I have a couple of plastic baskets that I picked up years age from Fridge City (W.A. Perth) that I use to pack item in the fridge section. Don't know if you can still buy them there but I'm sure that if you shop around the fridge & camping outlets you will find something to suit your needs. Cheers.
AnswerID: 284324

Follow Up By: furph - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 16:37

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 16:37
Did exactly the same as Topcat.
From 25x25 al. angle made up 2 side frames (pop rivetted) then with them tight against the sides fixed 2 angles across with self tappers to make a "table" frame which supports a piece of 10mm. ply cut to fit neatly inside. (with 2 x 20mm holes in the centre to get it out!)
I found a rectangular plastic tub which was the right size to fit, so made the al. frame legs so that the tub sits flush to the top.
A mod. that I made to mine was to fit a piece of 3ply to the underside of the lid (self tappers) to which I glued a piece of 20mm thick styrene foam insulation. The al. lid is completely wrapped around causing loss of cooling at the top. I always used to notice that condensation would form on the lid top overnight, after isolating the al. with the insulation overcame this, and the unit does operate more efficiently.
A setting of 4 seems ideal, - 12 on the bottom and 3 at the top.
Mine also approaching the 20yr. mark with nary a problem.
furph
FollowupID: 549088

Follow Up By: spliney - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 17:10

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 17:10
Thank you Topcat & Furph - some good ideas there for me to ponder on.
FollowupID: 549096

Follow Up By: kcandco - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:40

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:40
Hi Topcat and Furph

Can you post an photos of your work?

thanks Kc
FollowupID: 549799

Follow Up By: Topcat (WA) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:52

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:52
Hi Spliney,
have posted 4 pics of the setup in my pic gallery on my Members Rig & Profile page. Cheers.
FollowupID: 549843

Reply By: Graham & Lynne - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 22:07

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 22:07
spliney
In my 60 litre Trailblaza , 4 plastic ice cream containers ,each of 2.4 litre capacity fit .2 have to be tipped upside as there lids hit.

Frozen food goes in these, on top this goes thin sheet of polystyrene is lid off lettuce polystyrene box.

On top this nicely fits one basket out of 60litre Engel so basket is 30 litres then inside Engel basket have smaller Engel dairy basket it clips into top of 30 litre basket.

At end of 30 litre basket can fit 2 x 2 litre cokes so can mixed with spirits.

Cheers Graham
AnswerID: 284404

Follow Up By: spliney - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:49

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:49
Thanks Graham

Sounds like I need to find a dead Engel!!
FollowupID: 549232

Sponsored Links