air cond compressor

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 10, 2003 at 23:20
ThreadID: 5400 Views:1960 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi guys ,can anyone tell me how you go about converting a sanden air cond compressor to be a air compresser?? I know you have to put a grease nipple in the oil file plug but how much grease do you put in.I guess a air filter on the inlet side and a air line fitting on the outlet thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:27

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:27
dont think a Sanden compressors are suitable for an air compressor.
Airconditioning compressors use oil as the lubricating medium.

Use a York compressor ( a compressor off of Valiants and earlier model Fords were just rebadged York) These can be installed vertically or horizontally, the later being easier to get a dipstick in to check oil level about 7/8 inch if i remember correctly. Use A synthetic refrigeration oil as you can get these in small containers or else a mineral oil for refrigeration.

Have been using one for years around the house to pump up kids footy. bike tyres and also spary gun. Richard
AnswerID: 22284

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 12:01

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 12:01
Saden (Saden 508 is the one) compressors are the ones that are used by most on the Patrol list. They come off Chrysler Sigmas (yes the EARLY ones!!)...

Its been done here before, search the archives, and also www.google.com is your friend....
FollowupID: 14660

Reply By: Member - Andrew- Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 12:39

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 12:39
I have one on my cruiser. The endless air compresser is based on this Sandon compresser. The only difference noticeable from outside is the grease nipple in the body plug half way along its length. I removed this (which reveals the angled drive plate) and drilled and tapped a thread, mounting a grease nipple there. After greasing it with some good stuff, it has been pumping for 12 months now without a problem. Go for it, if you need to change compressers every 3 years for $50 each at the wrecker,your infront.
Andrew
AnswerID: 22297

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 17:16

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 17:16
well,well, see you can teach an olddog new tricks...
if one doesnt learn something new each day it aint worth living eh...?
is the early sanden a reciprocating or swash plate? what does the fitting of grease nipple lubricate? any one got a schematic drawing or parts diagram of this compressor i can view? you can email it to at: wherethefugawi@hotmail.com

thanks if any one can help with picture/diagramRichard
FollowupID: 14673

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew- Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 19:41

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 19:41
Hi Richard
These compressers are swash plate and 5 pistons. The plug uncovers the swashplate, so the grease goes in there to lubricate all the workings that was lubed by oil in suspension. I put a watertrap down stream to catch the excess grease that i iniyially put in there, and im glad i did. Got full in 20 seconds or so from 100 pumps. I used synthetic grease to lube it up initially, and havnt done so in the possibly 5 minutes its ran in the last year. It pumps up an extinguisher mounted on the car and operates lockers aswell as the odd tyre.
If you look for endless air compressers they are these exactly but painted blue.
Andrew
FollowupID: 14678

Reply By: dixie - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 22:10

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 22:10
thanks for that imfor , but still i have no idea as to how much grease i put in ?? and the water trap Andrew says he installed , would that be the same as the ones installed on larger air compressers "reg and water catchment" thanks for all the help now i have to find room for it !!
AnswerID: 22345

Sponsored Links