OT. This is what kids should be doing today

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 20:39
ThreadID: 54012 Views:2446 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Went to the Australian Mountain Bike Championships on the weekend.
I observed something very interesting in mountain biking.
I have photographed 2 australian nationals
2 world cups
1 world championships
and the olympics.

I am finding there is a decline of competitors and spectators.
Why?
I can only think that computers and playstations have stopped kids going out and riding there bikes as we did when we were kids.
I would like to know others views

anyway couldn't help myself. Here is a pic of some kids having fun in the sun

Peter

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 20:48

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 20:48
yeah mate.check out my post on the taralga rodeo.......zzzzzz..

SEX SEX SEX

TYRES FRIDGES MUD!!!!!!!!!!!

he he ......
AnswerID: 284374

Reply By: madfisher - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 20:50

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 20:50
Well in our house I am sick and tired of tripping over bikes ( mountain , track and road bikes) and kayaks. Wife and two sons both ride. 12 year old shows a lot of promise on the track. Often the parents have to take the lead, as long as its not me.lol
12 year old is also a good musso and fly fisher.
Cheers Pete
AnswerID: 284376

Follow Up By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 20:59

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 20:59
Great to hear...
My little brother is 15. I asked him if wanted to come down but no he wanted to play with his new xbox. He's not even keen on going camping. His school had a mandatory cadet camp last year and he still managed to get a doctors cert so he didn't have to go......
Good to hear your encouraging them to play outside
FollowupID: 549132

Reply By: giffo - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 21:27

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 21:27
This is why so many kids are disruptive ! If they they did what we did as kids they would be to tired to cause a problem .I had a Repco bike with suspension in late 70s and it was like a Honda XR75 with the motor taken out !We stayed out till the street lights came on and had a ball ! Pity the safety of your kids plays a big part in their freedom now !
AnswerID: 284388

Follow Up By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 21:34
LOL,
I rememeber the old suspension bikes...... although it wasn't until the early 80's i was big enough to ride one....... back pedal brakes and the result was a face plant and half a tooth missing trying to do a 8 foot drop..... :)
FollowupID: 549146

Reply By: giffo - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 21:57

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 21:57
How is it that a trip down memory lane makes me feel......... OLD !
AnswerID: 284399

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 22:21

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 22:21
Hi Peter,

Computers and xbox do play a part I am sure but parents need to shoulder a lot of the blame in my opinion. Most are just "too busy" to take an interest and get out there and encourage outdoor activities with their kids. Between work, sport and school I am surprised to remember sleeping. At 15 I had two weekend jobs and an after school job with my old man, played senior and junior soccer and still found time for school but this was a dismal fourth in my list of priorities, Girls outdid all the others put together LOL!!

Shelled out on the Canon 40D, now just got ot get out and experiment with it.

Cheers, Trevor.
AnswerID: 284409

Follow Up By: Member - extfilm (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 22:36

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 22:36
well done on the purchase trevor, Sorry I didn't get back to you finally got the pics up on the web at 4.30am had 1100 to go through. Am no Identifying all the riders. The pic I posted is Nathan Rennie the new Australian Champion.
You really cannot go wrong with that camera. As long as you practice and are prepared to learn as you go. You will find your photography will improve in leaps and bounds.
Here is a link to the gallery from the downhill
downhillers

My youth was also very hectic to the point I left scool at 15 and was working night shift packing shelves and surfing during the day....
Yes I do believe it is parents that are not encouraging kids these days.
FollowupID: 549168

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 22:46

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2008 at 22:46
Gday,
Personaly Id much rather hanging on the back of a Harley with my eight year old riding, nearly putting us through the front door of the pub!
Much more fun, teaches the kids more responsibility and they dont have to wear those poofy little leotards the push bike riders wear!

LOL

Cheers
AnswerID: 284414

Reply By: mfewster - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:28

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 08:28
In the 1990's I was teaching in Victoria and started to notice the change in kid's fitness and weight levels. I set up a program called "Click Off Click On" that ran in conjunction with the Age newspaper in 100's of Vic schools and quite a few in NSW. Families turned off TV for a week and took part in a wide choice of activities. the data is really alarming. Not just weight gain. The most telling stat.are the measures that show loss of flexibility of our kids. We also have national data now that shows kids today take longer to cover a set km distance than they used to- and it's getting worse. Talking to parents, one of the issues is the hours parents now work. So much is now open at weekends with shift work etc that the idea of a weekend where all the family are free to go off and do things together is nearly gone. Just leave the kids with the TV and computer games. Big back yards for cricket have largely gone and you wouldn't want to risk your life playing footie on the road.
Interesting change in attitude in kids too. When the national tests first started, far more kids were quite competitive to see where they came and what their time would be. Far more kids now see it as cool not to compete and just to walk around the course.
AnswerID: 284462

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:40

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:40
mfewster,

What a reality check. It is funny I read this now as I have been looking at sports to get my almost 5yr old boy involved in and have come across this site for our local little athletics. There is a records page with years these records were set and if you have a look it re-enforces your words very strongly. Most of the records are set waaaaaaay back in mid 80's to mid 90's. Very few "recently set" records on this site.

Thanks for the reality check.
Trevor.
FollowupID: 549576

Follow Up By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:42

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:42
Sorry, meant to post the records page for boys. Still the same effect being shown though.

Trevor.
FollowupID: 549578

Follow Up By: mfewster - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:19

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:19
Thanks Trevor. It is always reassuring when someone finds supporting data. We got quite a lot of criticism and laughter when we started that program back in the mid 90's. Not too many are laughing now. I think you are on the right track with your kids. Good luck with it.
FollowupID: 549602

Reply By: robak (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:11

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:11
I guess it comes down to parents using tv as a babysitter, working long hours so they can buy the things they don't need, and the genral population not liking having youth roaming around the place (on bikes or otherwise).

My kids are now almost one and three. We got rid of our TV about a year ago. Hopefully the boys will one day make a positive contribution to this country.

R.

AnswerID: 284476

Sponsored Links