minn kota help

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 15:59
ThreadID: 54042 Views:2468 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Am looking at buying a minn kota(bow mount) for my tinnie 3.75 that i can also also use on my 4.45 hornet(the hornet is quite a heavy boat). I have duel battery's in the bigger boat but was hoping to only have to load one battery in and out each time in the tinnie, so this would limit me to a 12 volt. Open to someone convincing me to go 24v if it is heaps better.
Could i just use the electric motor if in a still river and not put the outboard on? I guess i would need to put some sort of rudder on the back so i don't go in circles :)
What speed would a 55lb push the 3.75 along at with 2 in the boat + pots etc.
How effective is the auto pilot?
Have duel 100amp gell cells in the Tvan so was just hoping to pull one of these out when we use the boat rather than having to carry extra batteries,the second battery is harder to get out and this would leave me with no power in the Tvan. Have a 80 amp Christies charger to charge it so power is not a problem.
Is there a site where this sort of thing is discussed?
New to this so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 16:25

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 16:25
Lyndon ,

You steer by pointing the motor - just like you do with a petrol outboard - no motor needed . If its a bow mount you would buy foot controls to move the boat or hold it in position as you were casting . You would not get a bow mount without the foot controls - it would be a waste of time .

I have a 15 and a 30 Shakespeare electric motor . I have not used either for 20 years .I used to use the 15 on my canadian for bass fishing . Never used the 30 - they gave it to me as a present when I left Shakespeare .

I have a 3.75m Quintrex Dart and I would not bother to mount an electric on it unless I was going to go bass fishing in quiet water - but then I would use a canadian anyway . I use a 15 hp Merc for barra .

Electric motors are not really designed to get boats from A to B . They are used more for the contol of the boat at the fishing spot - especially with bigger boats such as yours .

We always used the cranking battery out of our car without any noticeable problems . We may have been lucky though and I would always use a deep cycle now, if I used it again. I would use one of the batteries out of the T Van .

There are Aussie fishing chat sites on the web.

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 284535

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:49

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:49
Read the above post twice, if necessary a third time. You won't need any further info.
Willie knows his subject.

Ian
FollowupID: 549358

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:34

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:34
Hi Lyndon. Like Willie, I have a 3.75m Quintrex Dart. Outboard is a 20 HP Yamaha. I have a 55 lb thrust Minn Kota bow mount. We cart the lot all over the country and will be heading back to the Gulf (NT) in March, hopefully for a few months this trip.

I totally agree with Willie that electrics are not designed for getting from A to B. The only place I do that is on Hinze Dam (Gold Coast) which is electric only for Bass fishing. When we do that, we run the 55 lb on bow and a 40 lb on the back and take two batteries. Otherwise it is a slow process covering a lot of ground. If not going far, the elec is OK, but for any distance you want the outboard. The only reason you might need a rudder is if you don't have the outboard on and there is a cross wind (outboard acts as a rudder). But I wouldn't bother. Just rely on the elec motor to keep you pointed the right way and to maintain position.

I swear by the elec motor. We do mostly lure flicking for barra up North, or in the Qld dams. Outboard gets us from A to B, sometimes 35KM or so on the water to fishing spots (when up in the Gulf). I then use the elec motor to move around the snags, hold against the tide / wind, or to establish a slow 'drift' along a bank so we can flick lures to the snags. Without an elec, this sort of fishing can be a real PITA.

I have the 'older' model Minn Kota (though it is only about 12 months old). It has cable from motor to foot control. The new model is wireless, though a bit more expensive I believe. Cable is no problem to me.

The auto pilot is good, but a fairly simple device. When on, all it does is keep the boat pointed in the same direction as when you last touched the motor control. I find it very handy as my fishing partner (my wife) can not cast back hand. I therefore have to keep the boat pointed in the right direction so she can cast to the target. It is also very good when setting a drift with a running tide. I fiddle a bit with motor speed to slow the drift and point the bow upstream. The elec motor controls the speed of the drift and the auto pilot keeps the bow pointed the right way (a real advantage when there is a bit of wind). An occasional tweek on the foot control and you just keep fishing. Wind can take you off course though, if it is from the side, so every now and then you need to adjust position and reset. Not perfect, but a lot better than than anchoring or starting outboard all the time.

When I first got the bow mount (used to have only a transom mount Minn Kota), I thought I'd never get used to it. I was all over the place like a mad woman. But after a couple of trips and some practice you can thread a needle.

As to batteries, we run one 90 AH AGM and never a problem. We occasionally troll with it, but mostly use it as described above. The newer Minn Kota's use a bit less power as they have a 'pulse' power saving feature. Also, we only ever run on full power for short periods. Full power is what sucks the juice.

I've never had a 24 V, but for your use, I'd go a 12 V. Run with one good deep cycle (AGMs are perfect, as are your Gells) in the small boat and use two of the same in parrallel in the big boat.
I have two 120 AH AGMs in the CT and used to pull one of them out, but I now carry a separate 90AH for the boat.

Best fishing and boating forum I use is Ausfish:
Ausfish link

Hope this helps.

Norm C
!MPG:25!
AnswerID: 284607

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:48

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:48
Thanks for the reply's guys! Appreciate the help. Looking at getting the Riptide ST 55lb (part number 601496 for those interested),this has co-pilot and a digital auto pilot.
The co-pilot is a small remote which is used to control all the functions of the motor.
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 284612

Sponsored Links