Looking to fit swing down jockey wheel

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:32
ThreadID: 54050 Views:10225 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

I am thinking about fitting a swing down jockey wheel to our camper trailer, currently has removable one.

Is it best to weld to draw bar or secure with U bolts.?

Also can any body recommend a particular brand,I know Manutec make some good heavy duty jobs,the red ones on the Kimberly campers also look strong but am unaware of the brand.

The stronger the better as I have been known to disconnect and snatch,winch and pull trailer out no doubt this will occur again.

Thanks,
Adam.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:41

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:41
AL-KO AustraliaAdam S

The "red ones" are AL KO and are one of the biggest companies in the trailer industry, and in many cases the best.

Colin.
AnswerID: 284579

Follow Up By: On Patrol (East Coast) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:55

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:55
Bracket

Adam, this may be your answer, the best, or worst, depending on who you listen too, of both worlds. Just a thought.
Colin
FollowupID: 549361

Follow Up By: Member - Adam S (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:01

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:01
Thanks Colin,

I will have to find one of those brackets so I can have a good look, my only concern would be the strength of the pins that lock it into place.

Adam.
FollowupID: 549363

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 22:48

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 22:48
Because unless you are on level ground, you can never swing them down.
The bracket that Colin linked you to is the best way to go, it is very similar to what I did, & it works well.
FollowupID: 549401

Follow Up By: Yonnee - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:35

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:35
QUOTE from 'On Patrol',
"The "red ones" are AL KO and are one of the biggest companies in the trailer industry, and in many cases the best."

... One of the biggest bullies too!
FollowupID: 549455

Reply By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:43

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:43
It would be a backward step, they are far more trouble than they are worth.
In fact I have made the opposite alteration.
AnswerID: 284581

Follow Up By: Member - Adam S (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 20:51
Thanks Shaker,

Trouble in what way.?
FollowupID: 549359

Reply By: Member - Vincent A M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:13

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:13
Dunbier trailers have a h/duty jockey wheel that does not have to fold away, it folds away as you wind it up it is fitted to there largest trailers worth a look it will take 2 ton easily
AnswerID: 284598

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:16

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:16
Our first camper had a removable jockey (with a second receiver welded on the front of the camper box, for carrying while mobile). Our current camper has the swing away, and while convenient, I snagged the winder handle with the rear bumper on a tight turn and snapped it off - it took the top of the main threaded rod with it (groan). Took me a while to find another HD jockey while touring the outback of QLD ($100 complete in Winton) - both my campers have had Manutec installed - seems HD at a reasonable price - the others I saw were quite light and junkie - the ALKO one mentioned above would probably be good - most things they do are. I think its true that the removable job gets it up and out of harm's way (stones and obstacles) - on our current swingaway type, I use an ocky to elevate the wheel for ground clearance, and I now remove the handle to avoid the foregoing problem...... about the same mucking around as taking it off !!
AnswerID: 284600

Reply By: Member - Barnesy (SA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:08

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:08
I got 5mm steel plate, drilled holes in it, placed it the other side of the drawbar and used bolts to secure the jockey wheel to the plate.

I kept my removable one on the other drawbar and am glad i did. The small, solid wheel makes it much easier to maneuver the trailer on cement than the big pneumatic wheel. It also saves the pneumatic tyre when storing the trailer with the jockey wheel in use.

Of course the big pneumatic wheel is much better of course over gravel etc.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 284640

Follow Up By: Member - Barnesy (SA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:11

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:11
I wouldn't weld it to the drawbar. What if something broke and it needed replacing? With bolts it's a simple job to take it off. With welds......well what a pain in the bum that would be.
FollowupID: 549410

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 06:22

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 06:22
Mount it to a raised plate on the frame. You will be glad of the extra height..
AnswerID: 284641

Reply By: Yonnee - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:04

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:04
Adam,

Couple of things...

Manutec, Easylift and AL-KO are all good Jockey Wheels.

There are advantages and disadvantages to the swing-up type of wheels. Most are fixed height and may not suit what you need, although you can just buy the swivel bracket separately and weld it at the height you want. The AL-KO bracket linked earlier is great for height adjustability, and great for theivin' so&so's who want the jockey wheel more than you do. However, if you're vigilant about removing and storing the wheel when not in use, you can interchange between 6" solid wheel and pneumatic wheel to suit your purpose (but then what's the use of the swivel!)

Welding the bracket to the drawbar is great for strength, but as has been said before, a PITA to replace if ever damaged. The 'U'-bolt types are good as you aren't drilling through your drawbar. If you tack weld the nuts on the 'U'-bolts, it stop it going 'walkabout'.
AnswerID: 284695

Reply By: Member - Adam S (SA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 16:31

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 16:31
Thanks for all the reply's ,

With all the information supplied I am pretty sure I will get the AL-KO bracket that Colin and others have suggested and position it on the opposite side of draw bar to the original receiver.(will have both)

One more bracket when you consider the amount of gear(crap)we carry will hardly add to the overall weight.
It looks like it is all set up for bolt on application as well.

I also found out how the Kimberly campers keep the wheel parrallel to the draw bar without straps,drill a big hole through lower end of jockey wheel, once in the position you want it to stay,then place quick release pin through.

Thanks again,
Adam.
AnswerID: 284744

Sponsored Links