Magellan Crossover GPS

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:24
ThreadID: 54056 Views:1899 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone used the Magellan Crossover GPS or similar unit with city navigator plus the usual GPS functions such as logging fishing spots etc We currently have 12+ year old Garmin GPS (only) which has been really good but we are thinking of an upgrade and getting a combination unit. Any thoughts/suggestions
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Itsme - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:56

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2008 at 21:56
Hi
I'm using a Magellan XL with the combined topo and street by street card. It's simply a matter of swapping the active map to change from the normal gps functions to street navigator. I've found the street navigating with this to work, but not always provide the most logical route to your destination, and of course there are no vioce prompts. I've also used a Tom Tom for street mavigating and it was vastly superior as a street navigator but of course of limited value once you leave the major roads in regional areas.
Given I mainly use mine away from major centres as a gps rather than street navigator, it suits my use. I considered the Crossover before my purchase. If I wanted to use it as a street navigator on a regular basis, I'd probably go the Crossover. (Or an XL plus a Tom Tom at the price they are now, and use alternately depending on where I was going)
AnswerID: 284616

Reply By: wyrss - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:47

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:47
I'm also a Magellan XL owner. For it's size , this thing is incredible.
I also have a Navman 40i, which does the talking when I'm in cities, but if I go bush the Magellan gives much more detail on bush tracks. It's very handy when you are deep in a forest to be able to sit there and have a look at options for getting out.
I also have the Oceana card which I use in the Magellan when I have my boat out on Port Phillip Bay. It gives an amazing amount of info and detail and I certainly would not go on the bay now without it.
AnswerID: 284841

Sponsored Links