National Luna any good?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:01
ThreadID: 54097 Views:16812 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I have been looking at upgrading to a larger fridge and have almost decided on the National Luna 74l double door. It operates as Fridge/fridge, fridge/freezer, freezer/freezer with seperate temperature settings.

Looks like a ripper, I am aware of the price, weight and fact that large compartment has to be the coldest of the two.

Other than that does anyone have real experience with them, do they draw about 48AH per day as a fridge freezer as claimed. There is a ton of insulation and it looks really well built but there doesnt seem to be a lot of them around. I guess price has a bit to do with that.

Any comments?

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:30

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 21:30
Tony,
have you read this report ?

National Luna test

Mainey . . .

AnswerID: 284833

Follow Up By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:31

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:31
Yeah thanks I have seen that, it is very compelling reading and went some way to convincing me to look further.

Only proplem is that it was conducted by National Luna.

Current draw looks great.
FollowupID: 549619

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:36

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:36
It has similar ah rate to Engel an Waeco go due to it's efficient insulation

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 549621

Reply By: Jim from Best Off Road - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:08

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:08
Tony,

All fridges have one thing in common, they keep stuff cold. Not trying to be a smart arse here, but how much do you want to spend?

IMHO the Waeco 80 is the most versatile fridge design available, and at a reasonable price. Add the insulating cover which really works, and the current draw is fair for the size.

After all, most run the same Danfoss compressor. It's only the cabinet that varies.

Jim.
AnswerID: 284849

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:31

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 22:31
Jim,
Yes, as you say it's the 'metal' cabinet that is the major difference.

Maybe, the National Luner does not require a cover as it has solid metal cabinet, not a synthetic inner cabinet an case, an won't be damaged by dropping a full slab into it lol

It has/had the benefit individual cabinet lights and dual cabinet digital temp guages also.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 549609

Follow Up By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:45

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:45
Jim the Waeco is where I started, I currently have a 50l Waeco and am happy with it except I need something bigger.

I have seen many reports of very high current use, even waeco UK claim an average of 3.5A at 30degrees external and as a fridge. (compared to a claim of 1 for the 50l and about 1.8 for the National Luna as a freezer). Also the fridge cooler things on the 80l waeco are only at less than 1/3 of the inside and many people report that the far end doesn't get very cold. and I have seen the temp vary by 6 - 7 degrees. Not good for long term storageIMO. Many dealers have told me it doesnt really work as a fridge only, because of this temp difference. I have seen this difference for myself.

I dont want a freezer / fridge ONLY config. I would like any combo as most of the time I want fridge only. Also two temperatures of fridge is appealing for veges etc and turning one half off to save power is appealing for short trips or at the end of a trip. Maybe I am over stating this, which is why feedback like yours is important to me.

a 100AH battery will give me 1 day if I am lucky on a waeco 80 and 2 on a NL if I don't over discharge ( 60%) the battery)
FollowupID: 549623

Follow Up By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:51

Thursday, Jan 31, 2008 at 23:51
Jim I forgot to add about the differerences, take a look at the insulation, it is twice as thick, also the 2 zones can be controlled seperately, and it automatically goes to turbo mode when it sees voltages over 13.2 v (Alternator running) , that is smart. The Waeco does have upsides in weight, and it is lower.
FollowupID: 549625

Follow Up By: Jim from Best Off Road - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:26

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 08:26
Tony,

When I run the 80 as all fridge it varies from -2 at one end to +4 at the other. This I like because I keep the grog down the cold end, meat in the middle and other stuff at the "warm" end. There is also the dairy compartment which is great for lettuce, fruit etc.

With dividers in it becomes a true 2 compartment fridge/freezer. When we went away for a week recently, as the frozen food reduced, I took out one of the dividers and put a piece of cardboard over the remaining frozen food to create a small freezer and increase the available fridge space.

As I said, I love its versatilty. At the price it leaves enough money over to invest in solar or a gennie to help power it.

Just thoughts.

I do sell them at a pretty good price, but I have owned one far longer than I have been selling them ie I only sell what I use and believe in. You can get me on 9706 6527. No big deal, I make bugger all on them, do it more as a service for my customers.

Jim.
FollowupID: 549656

Follow Up By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:03

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:03
Jim your point on the price is quite valid and the main thing I am struggling with. I have been looking in to this quite extensively for about 8 months and do like the low power and flexibility of the 2 zone NL. The difference in price is A LOT and as you say I could get a gennie or Solar Panel, it is a valid point but for what I think I need, I can get away with a good aux battery if the current is low. There does seem to be a difference of about 1.5AH ( or more with one side turned to max temp) which doesnt seem much but it is about equiv to a 80W panel and if I can get away without one, thats less crap to carry and keep an eagle eye on.
Thanks anyway.

_Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx are another story and for reasons other than price (inc weight and design) I am looking at your products which seem to suit my needs. I will call you re this soon.

regards
FollowupID: 549664

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 17:15

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 17:15
Tony,

You should remember:

"The tangible benefits of QUALITY will always REMAIN
well after the sweetness of a low price is long forgotten"

"Do it once - an do it right"

Jim posted "When I run the 80 as *ALL* fridge it varies from -2 at one end to +4 at the other" - this indicates what ??

Can I suggest an obviously inefficient refrigeration system with-in the cabinet, if with-in the same cabinet the temperature can vary by 6° from end to end as nominated.
Obviously the EVAPORATOR plate/s are more or less placed towards one end only and not fully surrounding the fridge cabinet as in more expensive fridges like the National Luna which has the entire cabinet as it's refrigeration surface, which allows the temperature to remain constant with-in the entire cabinet area.

The National Luna fridge also has totally individual compartments in the Fridge/Freezer model that have separate temperature controls and is a true Fridge / Freezer design.
I've just checked my fridge for comparison and it did NOT vary in the length or width, but it's neither of the brands mentioned, twice the price and no longer 'commercially' available, but has the same FULL metal cabinet evaporator system as used in the National Luna.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 549746

Follow Up By: dave_c - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:12

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:12
I'll 2nd that Mainey. As my old man has always said to me. " Make your first purchase your last".
FollowupID: 549792

Reply By: gilghana - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:10

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 06:10
Tony,
I have got a 40L stainless one and it is fantastic, low current draw - haven't worked it out really yet but seems really good. Interior lights are crap but that is the only negative thing I can think of. Really solid construction is a plus,
Gil
AnswerID: 284866

Follow Up By: Member - Tony W (VIC) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:58

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 07:58
Yeah the lights are really dull and yellow. Haven't seen them in the dark. Without taking the covers off, it looked like they were the festoon interior light bulbs. If so I will get some LED replacements from autobarn, jaycar etc.
FollowupID: 549642

Reply By: Gronk - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:09

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 09:09
Trailblazer !!!! If I had the money and I was buying again, then this would be my choice....

Choice between 2 thicknesses of insulation......Australian made......and tough as construction !!!!

Why didn't I buy one ( got a Waeco 60 ) ??? Price and weight !!
AnswerID: 284885

Reply By: Member - nigel P (NSW) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:44

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:44
V. happy with an eva- Kool polyhethylene frige/ freezer combo. Great insulation, and a good price. For tropical conditions youn want the extra insulation, (over say Waeco's and Engels) but I don't know I'd pay the extra for the LUNA's unless seripous expeditioning.
AnswerID: 285043

Sponsored Links