Troopy Gearbox/Transfercase problems

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 20:15
ThreadID: 5411 Views:4536 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I recently purchased a 94' Troopy turbo diesel with 125,000 klms on the clock, after only 2 weeks I started to experience noise from the gearbox & transfer case. I had the vehicle inspected by my mechanic, who informed me that after stripping down both units that a complete rebuild was required. That was 18 month's ago. 3 month's ago I stripped 3 teeth off the main output gear in the transfer case and on closer inspection found that all the bearings and shafts had lost their hardness resulting in another rebuild. Today I find out that the geabox noise has again raised its ugly head and upon removing the transfercase we found that all the bearings had again lost their hardness and are starting to fail after only 12,000 klms. Has any one had any similiar problems and if so how did you solve them. My mechanic said that the transfer case may have been apart previously and had half of another transfer case fitted to it, can this cause the gears to be out of alignment?
I am starting to run out of money so any help would be appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew- Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 21:09

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 21:09
Hi
Maybe a fairley overdrive was on it before. Is there a hole in the floor where the third stick went through? There has to be a problem with the lubrication or heat, as any misalignment would end up with teeth worn strange and wheeeeeering noises all the time. Have you been checking the oil level on the transfer at all? sometimes the early boxes pushed the oil out of the transfer into the gearbox, and run dry. The easy fix to this was a hose between fillers.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 22334

Reply By: crowe - Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 21:31

Wednesday, Jun 11, 2003 at 21:31
thinking along the same thoughts as andrew, had a mate with similar problem in his 96 trayback. The cause being oil from the transfer ending up in the gearbox due to leaky seal hence excessive heat in the transfer causing the wear. Quick solution is what they call the "balancing pipe" between the two filler plugs, he had no troubles after that.
AnswerID: 22338

Reply By: Nav 80 - Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 17:57

Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 17:57
As a past owner of three 5 speed Landcruisers one a brand new HJ75 and a retired diesel mechanic,20 yrs on 4x4 vehicles I can relate to your problem.
The gearboxes have a history of the problems already mentioned oil transfer etc due to hardening of the seal between the transfer and gearbox due to prolonged heat however your gearbox should not have failed after only 12 000K if properly rebuilt and run with the correct oil. The aftermarket parts and bearings that can be bought and were probably fitted to your unit as they are quite a bit cheaper than genuine Toyota are usually quite OK. Gears and bearings dont usually lose their hardness unless they have been overheated or were not hardened properly to start with. If parts from another unit were fitted and were in good condition they also should not cause a problem.Has either box run out of oil or has it been run with the correct oil? or have you done a lot of towing in 5th gear? If you can rule out those questions I would be looking for the bloke who did the rebuild.
In 1983 Toyota brought out the first 5 speed gearbox and they have had three main problems, the oil transfer, dosent usually happen until the seal hardens .
Bearing failure if driven for long distance in 5th with a heavy load or towing a load, and stripping the splines off the main shaft by the constant mesh gear if the nut on the shaft has not been tightened regularly. As you and I know rebuilds are expensive I had three fail on me,,Good luck.
AnswerID: 22364

Reply By: desert - Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 20:55

Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 20:55
As the other replys, it does sound like an extraordinary occurrance, that has to be related to the lack of lubricant. Carefull monitoring of the oil levels in both the boxes will have to be done to make sure oil is not transferring. I would suggest a top brand oil like Penrite and the addition of an oil stabiliser like Morey's. These two combined will help to lower heat build up as well. It may pay you to install a gearbox temperature gauge to keep an eye on the transfer, that way you can be alerted to any impending failure. Also, take regular oil samples on a mirror slide to check for minute metal particles in the oil. This too will alert you to a possible early warning. My guess is somebody, sometime has missed replacing an ageing part that is further detereiorating and sending metal through the oil and thus buggering every other part as well. Hope this helps you.
AnswerID: 22375

Sponsored Links