WA South West

Submitted: Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 13:01
ThreadID: 54113 Views:2053 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hope someone can assist, we intend on travelling through from Augusta to Denmark in July and are interested in some of the offroad areas between them.

I looked on Raster and it seems you can get from the Brockman Hwy to Stewart Hwy then join into the South Western Hwy just
above Lambert, (approx 10k’s below Manjimup). This will save us going up through Nannup and Bridgetown. All vehicles will be towing campers, largest being a Cub Camper Spacevan.

I hope this makes sense to all who know the area.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruznoz - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 17:44

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 17:44
Hi Blaze,
I live in Albany, just up the road from that area. Brockman Hwy and Stewart Rd are both good bitumen roads. Many of the minor roads that you see marked on maps south of Manjimup are forest logging roads and can be in various stages of disrepair, depending on when they were last used by the logging trucks. Some of the roads are for logging trucks only and are sign posted accordingly, but many of the roads are open to the public. We've been through a lot of this area in our Rodeo towing a camper trailer and mostly the roads are an easy drive, just be careful for the odd wash out or a tree over the road. Also in July you may strike the odd creek crossing that could stop you. The biggest problem we found in the area is the number of roads and tracks that aren't marked on our maps. If you start making to many turns without watching where you are going you can get lost pretty quick.
Steve
AnswerID: 284957

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:38

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:38
Hello - My suggestion would be to turn right at the eastern end of Stewart Road and head through Karri Valley. You will then have the choice of going through Pemberton or Northcliffe to get onto highway heading to Walpole/Denmark. Use Google Map to pick various routes. Not sure if you are after fastest/shortest or most scenic route??
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 284988

Follow Up By: Blaze - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:15

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:15
TX for the info,

Probably more scenic than fastest/shortest. Just a thought if I sent you the route I intend in Oziexplorer format would that help letting me know about the tracks?
FollowupID: 549831

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:51

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:51
"OziExplorer"...whats that? Just kidding - go for it (ie send route). Most (all?) of the coastal tracks between Augusta and Walpole are featured in the exploroz treks - some sections may not be suitable for camper trailers (or some people towing them) ..but will leave that up to you to decide. Places I would target if I was heady that way are Black Point, Lake Jasper, Yeagerup (Warren) Dunes/Callcup Dunes, Warren Beach, Windy Habour (just got back from there 3 hours ago!!), Moores Hut/Coodamurrup Beach, Fish Creek, Broke Inlet, Mandalay Beach/ Banksia Camp. Another good web site is Bushtrax

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 549841

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:54

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:54
Blaze if you have the Street Smart Country road directry there are heaps of tracks shown that skirt the coast between Augusta and Denmark. You have to go back to the black top occassionally but in the main it's either sand or gravel.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 284992

Reply By: Blaze - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:16

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 23:16
Thanks to all for the replies so far. I was just thinking if any of you use Oziexplorer and if I sent you the route I intend in Oziexplorer format would that help letting me know about the tracks?
AnswerID: 285035

Sponsored Links