3 way Repco fridge failing on Gas.

Submitted: Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 17:05
ThreadID: 54118 Views:3482 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All.

I have searched the archives for an answer to this before posting but to no avail.

I have a 3way Gas portable fridge purchased from Repco 3 years ago and up until now it has served its purpose well.

On a recent trip though, it failed on Gas. Another family in our entourage has the identical fridge and when I compared the heat coming out the top of the boilers on both fridges, my fridge was noticabley cooler (couldn't leave hand over the top of good fridge but could on the busted one)

I have done some testing since returning home and the fridge works fine on 240v chilling down to ~4deg but when I switch over to gas, it still keeps the fridge cool but only at ~14deg. (I havent bothered testing on 12V as this has never been reliable but rather a mechanism to keep the fridge as cool as possible whilst in transit from home to camp ground)

SO on this basis I believe the cooling system is intact (ie no leakage in the cooling system) and that the problem lies soley with the gas funtion.

What I have noticed during testing is that when it is on gas, the pilot flame never varies in its size/heat. (ie the controls on the fridge for the gas has a min through to max setting.) It doesnt matter where you have the dial positioned, the flame never increases so Im assuming that theres a blockage of some sort or that that dial isnt functioning?

I dont think that there is a thermostat on the gas function of this fridge that overrides the gas controls.

Can anyone offer any advice on what the problem might be and some steps I could take to possibly fix it?

Also happy to hear of recomendations on a good place in Brisbane who would be able to repair it if the problems too complex to solve at home.

Thank you all in advance.

Andrew.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Philip A - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 17:09

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 17:09
I am sure you will get more detailed answers but here goes.

1 the thermostat ONLY works on 240 volts on most of these fridges.
2 The gas flame should always stay the same size.
3 Your flame is probably not big enough as there is a blockage somewhere , probably the jet.
4 A quick fix is to take out the jet and spray some WD40 through it through the tube extension.
If you want to improve the 12v performance, fit a 12v computer fan blowing on the fins in the back.
regards Philip A
AnswerID: 284949

Follow Up By: GerryP - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:16

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:16
Agree with Philip above - probably the jet. If that doesn't work, make sure you have the correct gas pressure at the test point in the gas pipe just prior to the jet. Check the nameplate for correct pressure but probably around 11 inches water gauge. You can adjust, if necessary, at the gas bottle regulator.
Cheers
Gerry
FollowupID: 549779

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 18:13

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 18:13
If the pilot light is going I would have a look at the Flame out sensor. If this isn't detecting the pilot light then it won't allow the main valve to open.

AnswerID: 284961

Reply By: Philip A - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:05

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 20:05
I might be living in the past but my old Groen/Electrolux only had one speed, one flame, no pilot light.
The light at bottom is the heater AFAIK, and there is no control of it. It just burns away heating up the gas column.
The flame out thingo will stop it starting if you don't press the button long enough , and cut off the gas if the flame blows out, but there is no "main switch " as such.
But maybe the new ones are different.( but they sure look like a copy of the old European job)
Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 284980

Reply By: Andrew-rodeo - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:22

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 21:22
I also have one of these fridges and find the same thing as you that the 12v only keeps things just cool 240v is good, yet to try it on gas but a mate has one and says his freezes things when it is on gas. There is a mention in the instructions that if it is not cold enough to turn the fridge upside down for an hour or so then try again. not sure why but it can't hurt to try.
AnswerID: 285001

Follow Up By: gonebush SA - Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:13

Friday, Feb 01, 2008 at 22:13
we have one of those fridges and (touch wood), it's been great, it freezes the iceblocks in the tray that came with it, in really hot conditions we have put a small desk fan at the back of it and then it will freeze nearly everything. good luck with it, Chris
FollowupID: 549814

Reply By: Bros 1 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 10:35

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 10:35
Boony,
Probably a blocked or partially blocked jet. I have a 3 way Chescold, and that was the problem when mine did not work as good on gas as previously. Cleared it myself and now works fine.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 285276

Reply By: Boony - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 22:19

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 22:19
Hi everyone and thanks for your replies

I've dismantled the gas heating assembly, cleaned the gas jet and reassembled the components and early testing has proven successful.

The fridge is now cooling as expected on gas.. Currently doing some "stress" testing by running it for a few days.. turning it off for a few days just to make sure it wont let me down when away.

Thanks again for your replies.

AnswerID: 286976

Sponsored Links