Engine hour meters

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 16:11
ThreadID: 54148 Views:1419 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A post I read recently mentioned an engine hour meter in a 2004 Rodeo used to calculate average speed.Can someone explain this device to me and whether it would be found on my 2002 R9 Rodeo. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:06

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:06
Grouchoff,

Engine hour meters are most commonly used to record the hour run by engines in generator sets, powering water pumps and agricultural equipment, tractors and such where the amount of operating time has little or no relation to distance covered. this enables service intervals to be monitored. Why a vehicle such as a Rodeo or any other mostly road going vehicle would need an hour meter I dont know unless it had been used in some application requiring high engine hours and low distance covered.

Hope this helps

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 285167

Follow Up By: Grouchoff - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:41

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 18:41
Cheers Pop,
understood. Is it then possible that the computer on said vehicle has accesible info on real engine hours versus what the odo kms are, when hooked up to the analysing computer, or can such a meter be fitted for a users particular reason ? I vaguely recall something on a Euro forum site which stated that a vehicles engine hours could validate whether performed kms were legit
FollowupID: 549984

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 19:40

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 19:40
As far as I know, and others on the forum may have better info, on board engine/drivetrain management and body computors on road going vehicles dont necessarily need to record elapsed engine hours as this info, as I said in my previous post, is mainly used to determine maintenance periods. Having said that I guess there is no reason why they could not record this info. Normally the total hours is not displayed on the driver info panel (speedo) of most road vehicles however an analysing computor may be able to access this data.
An hourmeter as a separate instrument can be fitted as an add on to almost any engine, vehicular or stationary, as required.

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 550003

Follow Up By: Flash32 - Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 22:46

Saturday, Feb 02, 2008 at 22:46
They are also very good to pull the dealer into line when you go to trade your vehicle.
You will be surprised how few hours the engine has done after 100,000km. Particularly if you compare it to a tractor or a light aircraft.
I have done it on an old 80 series that I used to own and around 400,000km was a fair thing I reckon.
FollowupID: 550046

Sponsored Links