CREB Track

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 18:47
ThreadID: 5419 Views:1734 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
There has been a bit of talk lately about the Creb track being open or closed etc and people going through ok and so on. I have been in contact with the QPWS and more importantly Wet Tropics who are responsible for the opening and closing of the track. Last time I spoke to them it was just reopened (a week or two before the June long weekend) but had been shut for quite sometime before that due to various conditions etc. Obviously it's not policed or has a lockable gate but I just thought you all should know as it may have an effect on insurance etc. if you do decide to go when it's shut. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: colin - Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 21:37

Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 21:37
have done the creb track at the easter break, i think this is a very over rated track as in the difficulty department, if there has been rain within a week before your trip forget it, common sense, there are no gates or signs to say whether road is closed from either end so once again common sense, i dont feel this is a dangerous track even at the worst of wheather, but if a lot of rain has fallen dont use it, as for insurance we cant let insurance co,s dictate our experience, some times we have to take responsibility for our own actions. Col
AnswerID: 22381

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 22:16

Thursday, Jun 12, 2003 at 22:16
I tried to go on the CREB track last year twice once before going to Cape York and on the return unfortunately the rain prevented us both times. We got a permit from the QLD NPWS in Cairns to do the trip and you should call the local Aboriginal Community up there aswell as they have a property at the northern end of the track and permission to traverse should be gained first (have not heard of any people not permitted to go thru).
We met people that were stuck for 4 days on the track due to rain and had stories of the 4WD sliding down hill and they had to have ropes to stop it going over the edge. Another vehicle slide 200m down the track and ended up rolling over twice.
So I would say keep away from it if there has been any rain or looks like there might be. Apart from that it is believed to be very scenic - red clay, like what Cape Trib use to be like 15 years ago but steep - it is all up & down.Cheers, Beddo
Surf KZN185
<- Yengo NP, Central Coast NSW
AnswerID: 22388

Follow Up By: Guy - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 11:32

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 11:32
I agree with you. We did the CREB track 3 years ago just at the end of the wet season. Some parts of the track where still muddy. It was dangerous. 4/5 rating. But I would not like to panel beat my 4WD during the wet. I have seen the results of two different people rolling their vehicle and this is not a pretty sight. Apart for the hardware, the human physical and emotinal trauma is bad. In my view the CREB track during the wet can only be attempted by top equip. 4WD and very experienced 4WDrivers. The same for trailbikes.
Guy
FollowupID: 14741

Follow Up By: Tuco69 - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 14:12

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 14:12
" In my view the CREB track during the wet can only be attempted by top equip. 4WD and very experienced 4WDrivers. The same for trailbikes."

Having riden and driven the CREB track since 1973, I would say that experienced trail riders have no problem at all no matter how wet it is. Bikes still need to be carried over the creeks though. Most of the creeks rise and fall pretty quick. Open class motocross or enduro bikes are a ton of fun on the CREB when it is wet in the hands of experienced riders. Forget it if you are a novice though or in a 4x4. Have seen 4x4's with chains stopped where they were - unable to go north or south because of greasy hills.
FollowupID: 14754

Reply By: stevesub - Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 08:48

Friday, Jun 13, 2003 at 08:48
Did it last year in a rented 100 Series landcruiser, an easy track for us in the dry, would not want to go near it if it had rained in the last week or so though in any vehicle on any tyres - mud tyres, diff locks, etc would be OK in the wet but would wreck the track which was in remarkably good condition when we did it.
AnswerID: 22394

Sponsored Links