BFG Mud terrains, sidewall splits

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:28
ThreadID: 54201 Views:2836 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I've been running BFG MT's for about twelve years now on a Jeep J20. My current set is my first of the new style (with rim protectors). The tread's getting pretty low now and I was reckoning on replacing them before winter. Last week one of them beat me to it and blew out at speed.
Over the years I've destroyed a few of them on various stakes and such like but I've never had one just let go. More alarming is that when I examined the other three tyres they all have fresh splits in them on the corner between the sidewall and the tread. Basically I'm going to have to scrap a full set of tyres before they are worn out.
This is the third set of BFG's I've had on this vehicle and out of all the sets I would say these have had the easiest life. The previous sets did a lot of long, heavy and fast road trips combined with a lot of off road, including beach trips which occasionally had them down below 10 psi (quite severe on a 2.5 ton V8 vehicle!) These have had none of that and yet here we are, four ruined tyres.
Has anyone else had a similar experience and have BFG done anything about it? Mine were one of the first of the new style sold in Tassie and perhaps there were some teething problems?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:43

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 19:43
I would be ringing/ go and see them, the supplier first and tell them the same story. I have A/T's on mine not muddies with that new style of rim protector. Will keep my eye on them. I have had bfg's a/t's on the hilux previously and like yourself never had any issues with them hence why I put them on the prado. Keep us informed of the outcome. Regards Steve M
AnswerID: 285412

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 21:11

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 21:11
I got rid of my BFG's before they were half worn as three of them had splits right around them near the rim.

I was told by another tyre dealer that this is common for BFG's and is called De lamination.

BFG's are well known for this now after a lot of claims and complaints.

I would never put them on again nor would even put them on a wheel barrow let alone a vehicle.
FollowupID: 550302

Follow Up By: 96 GXL 80 series - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 21:13

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 21:13
It was on the inside near the rim, where they spit.
FollowupID: 550305

Reply By: nutwood - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 21:33

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 21:33
What year did you purchase your BFG's for your 96 GXL? I'm interested to know if it was the new style or not.
AnswerID: 285441

Follow Up By: Stephen M (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 23:21

Sunday, Feb 03, 2008 at 23:21
Not sure about 96 gxl, but i bought myn mid 07. Never had any issues before on the old lux and they were let down to low pressures while on beach, climbing rocks and some fairly extreme stuff. Chewed a few of the outer lugs off but to be expected when they are trying to grip especially on shale and stuff trys to cut it like a knife but they were great. Will see how they go on prado. Regards Steve M
FollowupID: 550353

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:49

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 08:49
nutwood,

Can't see any evidence of sidewall splitting on mine yet at 70K, apart from impact damage. They haven't got much life left after some fairly hard work.
AnswerID: 285479

Reply By: nutwood - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 10:02

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 10:02
Latest developments. I went to see my tyre dealer and before he even walked outside he told me where the splits would be. He said he's seeing more and more of them, on both MT's and AT's. I suppose that it's an age/mileage thing and they're starting to appear now. It's pretty weird. I only noticed the first crack a few weeks ago and wondered what I'd driven into to do the damage. That was on the tyre that blew out a couple of days ago. After the blowout I looked at the others and they've all got similar cracks developing.
According to my dealer BFG don't want to know but I might get busy on the phone and find out. That blowout could have killed me if it'd been on the front.
Now comes the question of what to replace with. Apparently all these cracks are appearing on high mileage tyres so, given that the BFG's last far longer, I could stay with the BFG's and just reckon on replacing them sooner. They're over 80,000 now which is better than any other mud tyre I know of on a heavy vehicle. Suggestions anyone?
AnswerID: 285491

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 11:36

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 11:36
Coopers :-))) (ducks for cover...)
FollowupID: 550429

Follow Up By: nutwood - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 12:50

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 12:50
Coopers have certainly been considered but I know someone with a set on a Navara and his tyres are pretty much history at 50,000. Apparently they also got noisy as they wore. The jeep tips the scales at something over 2.5 ton empty, which it never is, so I suspect the wear rate would be more rapid.
Problem is that I'm after a mud tyre, because when it's muddy an all terrain is useless, however I still do a lot of road miles so I want a quiet mud tyre that lasts. Bit of a contradiction! At the moment I'm looking hard at the Wrangler MT/R or another set of BFG's.
FollowupID: 550467

Follow Up By: hotfishez - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 15:49

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 15:49
I am not a fan of the cooper tyres by any lenght, the only cooper i would consider running if there were no other tyres avail are the stt's. i had a pretty good run last time i used them, but alot of rocks getting between the tread blocks and was repairing one every couple of weeks. I am now running the TOYO MT's. They are a 10 ply, lots of sidewall protection, no excessive road noise, so far so good. Have had them on for nearly 10km now and no unusual wear, no cracks, or any sign of damage. They are not the cheapest if anything they are probably the most expensive, if they continue like this and survive over 50k I will continue with them. When itr comes to tyres, in my opinion, they are the contact point and the most valuable part of the vehicle, I dont mind spending the $$$ and changing them out at 50-60k
FollowupID: 550508

Follow Up By: nutwood - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 17:49

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 17:49
Bother, I didn't look at Toyo.
I've just bitten the bullet and put four more MT's on. I didn't want to after one blew on me but in all fairness they did have 80,000 Km's on them and whilst there was still 20% tread left, who knows but perhaps the competitors tyres would blow if they went round that many times instead of having no tread at 60,000. In every other regard I was happy with the MT's.
In the end it came down to what stock was in Launceston as I didn't want to keep driving on the split tyres. If stock had been available I would have tried the MTR's but I travel every day and the twenty four hour wait might have killed me.
FollowupID: 550554

Reply By: TD100 - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 18:35

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 18:35
Nutwood,

i have a set of Procomp mud terrains and they have been fantastic so far 52k and i think i will get another 40k out of them,as for their mud ability it might only be 25 to 30k.they have chips and small chunks out of them but thats to be expected when they get flogged like they do.as for buying them again---definitely.i know they are made in the cooper factory but without all the cooper sagas.cheers Paul
AnswerID: 285587

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 20:01

Monday, Feb 04, 2008 at 20:01
Have not used the muddies but our two sets of US made 245/70 BFG AT's were very good from start to finish on the Jack (did not have a flat in 150,000 - about 20% bush travel). The Cruisa we currently have has untried Cooper things on it :-o)........might have to flip a coin when we next buy tyres !
AnswerID: 285618

Sponsored Links