Garmin Nuvi 660 updates

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 18:39
ThreadID: 54311 Views:8762 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all you GPS experts......

Is there anything to be gained by me taking the Nuvi out of the Patrol and connecting it to the internet/computer every so often? I'm thinking that it might automatically download (or is the term "upload"?) any new data/map updates if I simply plug it in?

On reflection, I guess I'm hoping for too much, eh?

Whilst on the subject, I never was able to work out how to load all those shonkey maps onto the SD card I purchased just for the job.

Would it be possible for some learned person who has already achieved this (to me) feat of greatness, to part with their SD card, small a monetary consideration? I would be prepared to pay some cash + my blank 4gb (I think that's the size I bought) SD card, in payment for their properly downloaded SD card. Would such an SD card (that works in somebody-else's Nuvi 660) be likely to work in MY Nuvi 660?

As usual, all responses greatly appreciated.

Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Louie the fly - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:14

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:14
I went to load some Shonky's onto my Nuvi 250W recently. They would only load onto the device & not the SD card. I posted a similar Q. to which I had a good reply from Doug T. He may be able to enlighten thee - he appears to know lots about Garmin stuff.
AnswerID: 286017

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:22

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 19:22
Thanks mate......I was hoping Doug would come along and give me the benefit of his vast knowledge........
FollowupID: 551023

Follow Up By: Skippy In The GU - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 23:39

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 23:39
Hi Bill, are you going to Stansbury this weekend
FollowupID: 551098

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:12

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:12
G'day mate,

Not that I'm aware of.....is there something you know that I don't? ;-))
FollowupID: 551146

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 20:24

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 20:24
Hello - as far as firmware is concerned here is current list of available updates for Garmin units

Garmin Updates and Downloads

The most current update for your Garmon Ver. 4.20 as of Oct 31, 2007

If you click on the link related to your device you will be given and option to download "WebUpdater" which, when installed, will automatically detect when your device is connected and check for recent updates and if your device needs it. Other option is to just download the update manually and install yourself.

I installed the webupdater the other day but it crashed during update process for some reason so I just did a manual update - worked fine.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 286037

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 20:35

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2008 at 20:35
Re Loading ShonkyMaps - it is unclear if you have Garmin Mapsource, "Trip and Waypoint Manager", or CityNavigator - all of which you can use to load maps for use with Garmin units. If you dont have one of these then you may want to try this...

Garmin IMG to GPS Uploader

No expert on the subject but you may wish to elaborate on the issues you are having so someone can provide some more specific advice.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 286039

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 14:59

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 14:59
Hi Greg,

We have City Navigator on the GPS. Last night I downloaded the Garmin IMG to GPS uploader and the mapsource files, suggested lower down, to the computer. I have successfully transferred the shonkymaps to the SD card but it is not showing up on the GPS when we transfer the maps across.

Does that make sense? Because it is well and truly out of my league.Thanks for your advice

Annette
FollowupID: 551202

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 15:21

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 15:21
Hello - assuming you have compiled the maps correctly on to the SD card there is one more issue that needs resolving...

If you have CityNavigator or other products loaded concurrently they will likely take precedence over shonkymaps, and will display unless hidden by the user.

When more than one mapset is loaded for the same area and more than one mapset is enabled, only the highest priority enabled mapset will display. An exception is transparent maps (such as OZtopo 20M Contours) which will display on top of the highest priority map.
The priority order is as follows;
- City Navigator
- MetroGuide
- BlueCharts
- Tracks4Australia/Shonky/Oztopo
- WorldMap
- the receivers basemap

Your GPS receiver will have a map setup page (I have never used a NUVi so am not familiar with menu keys) that should allow you to select either individual map squares to display, or alternatively select a whole product set. (Try pressing menu when on the map-setup page)

The suggested use is to Show or Hide either Shonkymaps or other product sets as required. You will need to use a bit of trial and error to determine what works best for you.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 551205

Reply By: res.q.guy - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 07:29

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 07:29
Hi Roachie
They suggest you check for updates once or twice a year.
Yes you can load Shonky (and Tracks4Australia) on a card and use that card in another Nuvi. I have done it with my brother and father's Nuvi's.
You do need a separate program to load the card or unit - "Trip and Waypoint Manager" this does not come with the Nuvi, but did come with my Garmin 60cx handheld gps.
It is quite straight forward, with the program.
Doug's site has a wealth of knowledge and links, I found most of my "Nuvi" knowledge from there.
I would be happy to load Shonky (& T4A, if you want ) on your card, or swap a card with it on (at no cost).
Contact me on res.q.guy@westnet.com.au
Regards
Neil
AnswerID: 286093

Follow Up By: res.q.guy - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 07:40

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 07:40
Forgot to mention - ALL Shonky maps and T4A maps, take up less than 500meg (1/2 gig)
Neil
FollowupID: 551139

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:26

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:26
Thanks for the generous offer Neil. Annette (my SWMBO and who has much more patience with these things than I do)...spent several hours last night and again this morning, trying to pore-over various sites and download Mapsource etc.

I thought I read somewhere that you only had to have either Mapsource OR City Navigator... The Nuvi came complete with City Nav already loaded. Now we are not sure whether it is the COMPUTER that also needs to have this program?

The SD card I have is a 2gb and I've bought a SD card Reader as I am led to believe you can't just download the damn things directly to the Nuvi with the SD card actually IN the Nuvi.

We are really out of our depth with all this.

Annette is going to spend some time today, trying to learn from Doug's website and see what happens by the time I get home from work. If all else fails, I will send you an email and take you up on your offer of the exchange SD Card.

Thanks again,

Roachie
FollowupID: 551151

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:36

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:36
"Now we are not sure whether it is the COMPUTER that also needs to have this program?"

Yes - you need some version of Mapsource on your PC to select the maps you want. As I mentioned in one of my posts above if you dont have Mapsource et al then there is a simple free program available that will compile the maps for you.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 551172

Reply By: res.q.guy - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:55

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 08:55
Hi Roachie
I don't think you can legally download a free copy of Mapsource/Trip and Waypoint Manager.
I remember reading on another forum ,about a loop hole on the Garmin site, were you download one program then that enables you to down load Mapsource. I will see if I can find it, later on today. Also, I have a PDF file that shows you step by step how to load maps onto a card or unit. I could email it to you if you want.
Regards
Neil
AnswerID: 286103

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:31

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 10:31
Legal way to download

Though I am not so sure its that legal

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 551169

Follow Up By: Member - Zig (WA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 14:49

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 14:49
You would think it is legal as it is straight from the Garmin websites Training Centre Dowsnload section.
It works.
FollowupID: 551198

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 15:11

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 15:11
Yeah probably not, what I meant was the procedure described makes use of what I would call a security fault in the training software that allows you to be "upgrade" it to a more functional version of Mapsource without having to pay any money. Probably not what the Garmin boys had in mind.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 551204

Reply By: res.q.guy - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:11

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 09:11
Hi Again
Better than the PDF file , I have found the link to a tutorial on loading maps :
http://www8.garmin.com:80/cartography/mapsourceTutorial.html

(yes "www8" is correct)
Neil
AnswerID: 286107

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 15:07

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 15:07
Hi Neil,
yep, thanks for that. I listened to it this morning on Doug T's website. It sounded real easy until I put it into practice. Perhaps I should have another look at it later when time permits. I'm suffering a'brain overload' right now, trying to work it all out.

cya, Annette
FollowupID: 551203

Reply By: res.q.guy - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:59

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:59
Hi Roachie and Annette
There is certainly a lot of information out there to learn and absorb !
Loading maps through Trip and Waypoint Manager / Mapsource gives you a file called "gmapsupp.img" inside a folder called "garmin". My file (Shonky and T4A) is 496,320 KB.
This will fit onto a cd. I could burn the folder/file to a cd and you could copy same, straight to your card. Just another thought !
At least it would get you started until you learn more about this subject, it has taken me over 6 mths to get where I am now ! ....and still learning.
Neil
AnswerID: 286160

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 19:57

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 19:57
Neil, Roachie here now mate..... Annette has gone for a lie down (head spinning like a top trying to work this stuff out). Anyway, I can't help thinking that we've almost got it!!

Forgive me if I talk in "layman" terms...... but we now have the following on the computer:

When I click on "START" and the menu (?) comes up, there is an icon available called "Mapsource". When I open this up, I can have a fiddle around with a few options and come up with a map of Australia. I can then click on either the "+" or "-" magnifying glass icons and get better detail of various tracks etc. I'm assuming that this is what I've gotta try to get across onto the bloody Nuvi.

Annette is convince that the maps etc are already on the SD card. When I take the SD card out of the Nuvi and install it into the SD card-reader, which I then poke into the USB port on the computer, it opens up a new window called "Removable Disk G" and reveals there are 2 folders called "GARMIN" and "Maps from IMG2GPS". Now, when I open the folder called "GARMIN", I get hundreds of little folders, all with the same icon in the middle (being a greenie-coloured world globe), each with it's own 8 digit code. Also, there is another one of these icons at the end and it's called "SHONKYMC".

Now then, the other folder I mentioned (ie: Maps from IMG2GPS) has a number of these similar folders....but there doesn't seem to be as many as what are on the other folder marked "GARMIN".

So, that's what's on the SD card.

Now, when I stick the SD card in the Nuvi, I hope I'm doing the right thing to actually try and access these maps on the SD card.

What I've been doing is pressing the little spanner icon, which takes me to a screen with 8 boxes. These are marked, MAP, SYSTEM, LOCALE, DISPLAY, NAVIGATION, BLUETOOTH, PROXIMITY POINTS & VOLUME.

Now, what I've been doing to see if the new Shonkymaps are available, is to press the box marked "MAPS", which gives me a screen where I can select from 4 options, but down the bottom there is a tool bar and one of those options is "Map Info". That's the one I've been pressing, and I get another screen that says "City Navigator Australia v7". There is a tick in a box beside this and below it there is a "[1] ALL". I can untick the top thingo and then I have no maps when I go back to the start.

Am I correct when I assume that THIS is where I should be seeing the Shonkymaps become available on the Nuvi?

Okay, thanks for bearing with me. If you hear of a bloke blowing his brains out in Kadina, you'll know the frustration has gotten the better of me..... hahahahaha

Roachie

FollowupID: 551548

Reply By: res.q.guy - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:45

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:45
Hi Roachie
I know where your at !!!!!!!! been there ! It takes a while then it all drops into place.
Not sure exactly what you have ended up with !
If your maps are loaded on the card, and card inserted, when you press the "Map Info" button, you should see all maps loaded, in my case there is 3 options "Shonky Topo" , "Tracks4Australia", and "City Navigator Australia v7".
Starting from the beginning, After loading mapsource on your computer have you loaded Shonky and / or T4A ? are they visible in the top left corner of Mapsource as map set options in a drop down box ? From the drop down box select the set you want ie
"Shonky Full Topo" you then have a map of Aus. made up of tiles, you select the area's (or tiles) of Aust you want (or select them all, by dragging a box around the whole of Aust). The area's or tiles you have selected will appear in a list on the large white box on the left hand side under where you picked "Shonky Full Topo".
You then repeat the same again with a different map set ie T4A, and those area's or tiles will be added to the list. Once you have selected all the area's you want from all the map sets you have available. You press the download button (a little gps icon with a blue arrow pointing to it). You should then see the option to send the data to the card via the card reader. When it has down loaded (it will take a while), you should end up with a folder called "garmin" with a file called "gmapsupp.img" inside the folder. The size of my file is just under 0.5 gig. Which includes all of Aust (inc Tas) including both T4A & Shonky map sets. The file size depends on your selection of which parts of Aust to include and which map sets you load (ie only Shonky or T4A as well). If you only loaded Shonky maps, I assume the file would be about half the size. When the card is inserted into the Nuvi, what ever map set or sets you loaded, should now show up, after pressing the "Map Info" button.
In my case I would have the three options: "Shonky Topo", "Tracks4Australia" and "City Navigator v7" they will all be ticked in the boxes. Just leaved ticked the map set you want to use. But remember that Shonky and T4A are not route able.
Hope this helps !
Get back to me if you need clarification or more help, and the offer is still there to do a card swap or send the file on a cd. if you need to use the maps while still learning.
Regards
Neil

AnswerID: 286495

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:34

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:34
G'day Neil,

Hey, ya know how the crowd at the cricket will sometimes bow when a legend of the game comes onto the field....???

Well, that's how I feel at the moment towards you ol' mate!!!!!

COS..... I'VE BLOODY-WELL DONE IT!!!!

That last set of step by step instructions was bloody ACE mate!!!

Even a mug like me could understand it.

Annette doesn't even know yet, cos she's gone back to bed; having been up since 1-something-am.... mucking around on this laptop (not just with the mapping problem though).

So, now I've got T4A and Shonkymaps both loaded on as well as the original City Navigator. Fantastic!!!

Thanks again for all your help and the offers of card-swaps etc. Much appreciated.

Cheers for now

Roachie
FollowupID: 551670

Reply By: res.q.guy - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 12:58

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 12:58
G'day Roachie
Glad to hear you did it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well done indeed. Persistence pays off.
One thing I forgot to mention, is that I suggest you make a back up copy of the Nuvi's hard drive contents to either your computer and / or disc. Because when you get more adventurous and start adding POI's , music and photo's, talking books etc, there is a good chance you will make a mistake (speaking from experience) and loose something. That way, you can always reload it.
Currently I have taken out all the foreign voices ,like Doug suggested a few weeks ago on the forum. this has given me room to put Shonky and T4A (just the SE corner - sort of the Adelaide area, all of Victoria through to the Brisbane area) of both, on the hard drive. This now leaves the card slot free to load mp3 music, and should I travel further afeild, I have the whole of Aust for both on a separate card, and will just take out the card with mp3's on and swap it.
Cheers
Neil
AnswerID: 286526

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 14:30

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 14:30
Thanks for that tip too Neil.......but I think I've achieved the maximum level of (in) competence I'm prepared to attempt with the Nuvi. We don't have a MP3 player as such (but do have an ipod with a FM transmitter gizmo, so we can listen to songs through the Patrol's FM radio) and I don't know that I'll ever be so bored that I have to get somebody to read a book to me....hahahaha

Thanks again..... x 100000000

Roachie
FollowupID: 551682

Reply By: res.q.guy - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 18:46

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 18:46
Hi Again
Your Nuvi is an mp3 player, it works just like your ipod with a FM transmitter gizmo.
Instead of loading your ipod with music, you can load your sd card with music in a folder called "Music" and it will transmit through to your cars stereo, works great and you don't need anything else.
Happy Navigating
Glad it all worked out in the end.
Cheers
Neil

AnswerID: 286569

Sponsored Links