LCD TV Jayco Outback

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 13:32
ThreadID: 54331 Views:10692 Replies:8 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi has anyone installed an LCD in a Jayco campertrailer. I am wanting to purchase a 15" or 17" LCD (preferably with built-in DVD player) tomount the roof of my Outback above the stove/cupboard area.
My concerns/queries that I would like to know are:

1. if mounting to the ceiling is there any type of reinforcement I need to do as most of the LCDs are at least 5kg
2. does a bracket exist that allows you to flip up the tv against the roof when not in use
3. any recommendations on brand/cost of an LCD?

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tessa (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:11

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:11
Meercat
I I don't think any sort of bracket attached to the roof would last very long in a jayco outback on dirt roads. Having owned and written one off, I think I have sufficient experience to comment. I had the stove cover replaced in mine twice because it couldn't stand up to the corrugations. The constant movement of the roof against the walls put the tops of the walls out of shape so I had to run lines of silcone along them to stop water draining into the camper when it was erect and raining. And, of course, I had to replace the screws that hold the door bracket on the roof a number of times. Oh, and BTW I was so impressed with the standard suspension I spent almost $1000 having it replaced with shock absorbers that both worked and didn't break off all the time. I got a bit of a shock when I was able to buy spare shocks of the same brand and model as Jayco had used at Auto one for $30 a pair. Mine was a 2000 model.
I guess what I am saying is that I would be looking at some other form of storage for your LCD. Maybe a bracket on the roof would be fine if you could detach the tv and store it somewhere else while travelling.

tessa
AnswerID: 286152

Follow Up By: meercat - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:23

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:23
Thanks Tessa, you sound like you have had your fair share of camper woes
FollowupID: 551381

Reply By: Gerhardp1 - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:44

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:44
Whatever model you get, make sure it has a Digital Tuner, preferably a HD one.
AnswerID: 286155

Follow Up By: meercat - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:24

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:24
Hi and thanks for your feedback. If I get a digital tuner type, do I still need an external aerial?
FollowupID: 551382

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:28

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 11:28
Yes, but you will receive the channels perfectly in areas where analog is just snow.

Plus of course, anolog days are numbered. Another option is a set top box which can receive digital and send the output to a monitor (a monitor can be a computer screen, or an analog TV), but that's another device which adds to clutter and needs too many cables.
FollowupID: 551400

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:50

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 16:50
I certainly would not mount anything on the roof of my Coromal camper, even though it is solid looking GRP. We do carry a conventional 14 inch CRT TV with us, but it goes in the car with blankets around it between stops. I recently invested in a digital Set Top Box to assist in tuning weaker signals. Your LCD will probably have a tuner built in. The aerial is a standard PVC tube type that clips on the outside before winding the roof up.

We have travelled many hundreds of KM over corrugations and the Dometic fridge door is now showing cracks around the control panel. The Coromal does not have shockers.
AnswerID: 286157

Follow Up By: meercat - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:25

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:25
Thanks, I have an 14" CRT now and it is a bloody pain. Takes up too much room and is bulky.
FollowupID: 551384

Reply By: spraker - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 17:30

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 17:30
Hi Meercat We have a Jayco Flamingo Outback and have brought an AWA 25cm LCD TV with dvd player from Big W for $298. It is 12v, 240v and has a rechargable battery that lasts for about 3 hours when playing a DVD. We also have an aerial that goes on the outside of the van. We get a great picture and when traveling we stow it in the cupboard near the door. It was a great purchase. Regards Spraker
AnswerID: 286164

Follow Up By: meercat - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:27

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:27
Thanks Spraker. I was also considering a 12v but can this only be charged by plugging into the cigarette lighter. I have a 100amp battery on board in the van but as far as I know it only powers the lights.
Can I ask the type of your aerial as there are many opinions on what works best.
FollowupID: 551385

Follow Up By: spraker - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 14:02

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 14:02
Hi Meercat. The tv can be charged by standard power point or by the 12v socket we have in the van. We also have a 100amp battery and we run the lights and the tv with no dramas. We have a "foldaway areial"(that's the brand) we brought this from the camping show.
FollowupID: 551437

Reply By: Member - Brinic (WA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 18:29

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 18:29
Hi Meercat,

We have a Goldstream Storm and we have purchased a Grundig 19" LCD with built in DVD player. We don't have it mounted, however when we are set up the van we set it up on the cabinet and when travelling, we have made up a cover from an old towel so it is secure with a pillow on the journey.

We wouldn't trust it on the roof, we prefer to have it portable so we can watch it outside if we wish, we also take the Nintendo Wii so we can play that in the annex.

Cheers

Brinic
AnswerID: 286183

Follow Up By: HGMonaro - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 21:01

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 21:01
We have a Goldstream and made up a foam lined storage area under one of the breakfast table seats. Our LCD (with built in DVD) survived Mereenie Loop & GRR (inc up to Drysdale Station). However, I wouldn't take it on another 'touring' trip... it only came out a couple of times. If I was parked up in the one sport I'd probably take it.

looked at those little 10" AWA's but decided screen was too small. Nify profuct though.

Nige.
FollowupID: 551296

Follow Up By: meercat - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:28

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:28
Hi Brinic, does your Grundig have a digital tuner and do you still need to use an external aerial
FollowupID: 551386

Follow Up By: Member - Brinic (WA) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 21:47

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 21:47
Hi Meercat,

Our Grundig does not have a digital set top box but has a TV tuner. We bought a cheap set top box for it. The TV does use an external aerial.

We bought from the Good Guys Rockingham for $650.

Teac has a digital in built set top box and compared next to each other the Grundig was a better picture.

Brinic
FollowupID: 551569

Reply By: PradOz - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 21:10

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 21:10
hi there

sounds like tessa is not a jayco camper fan hey!

anyway, a few things to think about are:

1. dont fit it above your stove if you use the stove as you will end up cooking it as well as dinner

2. if you tap along the ceiling you will easily find the timber frame thats behind the lining. best starting place is on a join and work back to the area you want.

3. if you fit it on your ceiling you will need to check how your fasteners are going to stay put and not come loose over time and depending on your travels after rough roads etc. you can always use a fastener and some type of adhesive to permanently fix the bracket to the ceiling sheet. then you are relying on the jayco adgesive to do its stuff. (that should be enough to get some opinions now on their quality, workmanship etc etc) if i can find the name of an adhesive i have used i will let you know. it will certainly hold it ok, i have rebuilt campers with it - buy at bunnings too.

4. i would suggest you fit one somewhere else. depends on your model as to the perfect spot. i own a jayco swan so i can fit it to the top or side of the robe and reinforce inside the robe. you could fit a bracket somewhere with the intention of only using it when you camp by then fitting the tv to it when you set up. that way you can pack the tv for safe transport and then get it out in one piece. you can then also use it elsewhere in the annexe or at home.

5. i am going to get a 19" or 22" with a dvd and also HD so i can use at home as well. I will look at the option of fitting a bracket into the side of the roof wall in an area that is out of the way. my swan when folded up has plenty of room in the centre area. roof sides are timber backed and can be braced if need be.

6. Also have a look in a jayco penguin. they have a roof mounted 2 door cupboard. they only use 6 small L shaped brackets to hold it up. you just got to mount into the roof frame. I have also seen plenty of camper style vans with ceiling mounted microwaves etc with no problems and they would be heavier than a LCD tv.

just keep an eye on your install for any sign of movement - cheers...
AnswerID: 286220

Follow Up By: meercat - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:33

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:33
Thankyou, appreciate your feedback. I have an 2007 Outback Eagle so I may be able to mount it above the dining table.
FollowupID: 551390

Reply By: PradOz - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 21:21

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 21:21
i forgot to mention some brands of LCD tvs

My brother manages a radio rentals store. he said he only buys panasonic, toshiba or NEC. He says these have proven to give him the least problems in break downs etc and he certainly buys and rents or sells quite a few so should know a bit about them. he said to steer clear of the lesser know brands even with long warranties as they are unreliable and the warranty is only good if they fix it for you and who wants something in getting fixed instead of being used. cheers mick
AnswerID: 286223

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 22:27

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 22:27
Use a laptop with a tuner card. It seems a waste to have a TV sitting in the camper absorbing moisture.

Regards

Derek
AnswerID: 286239

Sponsored Links