air con & gennies

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 17:57
ThreadID: 54337 Views:3197 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just got myself a 17ft supreme getaway and want to get air con & diesel heater put in. My only problem is i dont go many places where there is power. I own a honda eu 20. The guy at shop said there to little to run a air con(and dont feel like buying a bigger one) they will do it but will scream there guts out and die a early death. Does any one out there have a honda 20 that runs there air con and if so what type of air con is it. Dont want roof top type as it is a poptop and will be to heavy. Are the little diesel any good or should i just use reverse cycle Thanking you all Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 18:02

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 18:02
If you have an air/con that say is 2500W you will need a gen-set that is bigger than 2.5 kva.

So how many Watts is you air/con.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 286173

Follow Up By: balko - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 18:29

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 18:29
Thanks Steve but I dont have a air con yet that is why i want to see if anybody is using a honda 20 and i will buy the same air con unit as there one. Cheers ony
FollowupID: 551249

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 18:23

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 18:23
I have the Heron 2.2 in my Supreme and the Honda runs it quite well and has done so for 4 years now. Just don't mount the condenser unit under the bed.

When I have a chance I will move it to under the fridge.

Regards

Derek.
AnswerID: 286178

Follow Up By: furph - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 20:26

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 20:26
Derek.
Our 15' Getaway has the compressor unit at the rear under the bed. The main noise comes from the evaporator/fan unit over the bed (rear of the van) but we can quite easily sleep through it when the ambient is up.
Perhaps the compressor/condenser fan in yours is not so vibration isolated.
Much prefer it to the roof mounted ones, we are actually genuine "Getaway" travellers, dont need extra van height to impede progress through the scrub!
furph
FollowupID: 551281

Follow Up By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 20:48

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 20:48
Yes I agree the evaporator fan is noisy and have thought about fitting a extra speed switch to slow it down a bit. Just need to make sure it does not ice up.

We have moved our pillows to the other side so the condenser is at our feet and it is better but if I built the van again I would have the unit fitted under the fridge.

FollowupID: 551292

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 19:02

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 19:02
The Honda E20 will run most of the newer Dometic and heron Air Cons.

My Bro In Law has one and a 20 foot van and it runs it no problem.

The trick is don't try to start it with the toaster and jug going at the same time.

Before you buy get the supplier to demonstrate that the genny will run the van you plan to buy.

AnswerID: 286192

Reply By: hunter40 - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 22:16

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 22:16
Hi Tony
I myself have just brought a 17ft pop top with a heron 3 A/C in it I emailed the manufacturer Air command as I am looking for the right size genny and this is their reply.

In response to your question, the Heron 3 runs on a Honda EU20I, 2.8KVA.
However if you are using any other brand, it will run on 2.4 KVA.

hope this helps
Cheers Lyle
AnswerID: 286237

Follow Up By: balko - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 22:29

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 22:29
Great Lyle thats the unit ill get thanks for that the 2.2 might be a bit little for van Thank you Tony
FollowupID: 551330

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 22:18

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 22:18
Hi Balko

My Honda eu 2oi will run our Dometic Cal 136.302 air con (nothing else is connected to it). It is in an older caravan, but is a fairly standard model that was fitted in various caravans over a number of years. The genny has 'tripped' in very hot weather on a couple of occasions. After a re-start, it has been OK. In an hour or two, we turn it off as the caravan gets too cold. Some people have discovered that if they travel in very hot weather (well into the 40s) the Honda can stop. No first hand knowledge, but it has been reported that the bigger Yamaha 2.4 kva copes in the extreme heat. It is also of course a bigger capacity genny, bigger size, and heavier. Possibly noisier too. So it depends on where and what season you intend to travel. Most people don't travel for fun in our hottest spots in summer, and the Honda 2 kva works for most.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 286238

Follow Up By: balko - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 22:37

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 22:37
Thanks Motherhen
You might remember me from the bt site i was looking to buy one went up to Qld last week and just went to kempsey to look at one. But being 35 with 1 kid and still having a morgage i decided to save my money and get a 2000 model supreme getaway with shower im happy with it ill just get the ac and diesel heater and tv antena and were off in March round oz. Ive heard all the stories about vans falling apart and only go with the best But as the story go,s 1 lone man built the ark and it saved the world a team of a thousand pros built the titanic and where is it now Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 551333

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 23:10

Thursday, Feb 07, 2008 at 23:10
Hi Tony

I didn't reply about the diesel heater as we don't have one, but as no one else has so far, i will comment. They are small and very efficient. They can be fitted with an alternate vent to the bathroom which also doubles as a clothes drying cabinet. If travelling in cold areas, that would be my first choice. There are now at least three brands, so you can get a bit cheaper than the original brand names. They are still dear, but people have saved a bit by fitting their own. We have found no need for a heater in the BT. We have woken to stiff frosts, with frost inside the 4 seasons vent, but we have been quite warm and surprised to see the white landscape outside. A bit different to camping under canvas!

Putting an air con in a pop top may be a problem. I would not fit the domestic split systems as some people do unless the plan was to stay on new bitumen roads - even then they may have a fairly limited live span. Although we haven't ventured far from the southern parts of Australia, we have used our air con probably only half a dozen times. Inland it is usually cool enough at night, so it is only when we stopped early on very hot days that we used it. If it is too hot to stop early, driving in an air conditioned car and stopping later works. A 12 v truck van may be adequate for hot nights, without the noise or need to top up the fuel in the genny.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 551340

Reply By: wazzaaaa - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 07:02

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 07:02
link Hi Balko,
I saw this on a caravan forum and so fitted a 3.6kw air con in my caravan and run it easily with my honda 2kva. This guy had fitted heaps of them and swears by the inverter air cons in caravans.
http://groups.msn.com/Caravanersforum/airconditionerinstalls.msnw?Page=1

AnswerID: 286485

Sponsored Links