Wireless laptop

Submitted: Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:00
ThreadID: 54366 Views:3328 Replies:11 FollowUps:33
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We need to get a wireless laptop before we head off shortly and I've just spotted in a Retravision catalogue wireless laptops for $499.
ASUS EeePC. 0.92kg shockproof. 7"LCD, Intel mobile processor, 512mb ram, built iin webcam.
I'm not a computer buff and wondered if this sounds ok.

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers
Jeanette
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:13

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:13
What do you want the wireless (Wi-Fi normally) feature for?

Andrew
AnswerID: 286362

Follow Up By: travelbugs - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:22

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:22
We wanted wireless because we're travelling in a camper trailer and thought it would be easier.

FollowupID: 551480

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:32

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:32
ok, just asking....as sometimes people really dont need or understand how it really works.

Andrew
FollowupID: 551482

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 17:44

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 17:44
Wi-Fi and Wireless are 2 different systems.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 551502

Reply By: Member -Signman - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:13

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:13
The good:

* Super light
* Attractive
* Sturdy
* Well featured
* Great for first time users

The bad:

* Keyboard is a bit too small for adult fingers
* Inbuilt microphone is insanely placed
* Needs a configurable scrolling area on the touchpad
* Touchpad isn't very responsive to tap-clicking

The bottomline:

The EeePC isn't for everyone -- in fact within about two seconds from picking it up you'll know if it's for you or not. For those it does appeal to, it's a brilliant little thing that fills a much lamented gap.

AnswerID: 286363

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:44

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:44
An excellent summary.
FollowupID: 551487

Reply By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:15

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:15
A nice little machine and has been selling well into the business traveller community.

A couple of points:
it doesn't have a hard disk - you use memory cards instead,
the display and keyboard are on the small side - check it out in the shop,
it runs the Linux operating system not Windows (thank God! :) but this does mean if you have Windows specific software (Ozi Explorer) it won't run it. Otherwise all the software most people will ever need is available, free of charge, for Linux.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 286364

Follow Up By: wheeler - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:26

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:26
Mike
So can you canfirm that you could run Ozi & mapsource on this unit? I do a bit of travel by motorcycle and have been told about these things, but not being into the tech side so much, I wasnt sure if I could run my mapping stuff in it. If you could clarify, I would be very grateful.
Thanks
FollowupID: 551457

Follow Up By: Member -Signman - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:53

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:53
Windows XP (home Edit.) will be available as an extra $50 package!!
FollowupID: 551469

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:39

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:39
Sorry Wheeler I thought I had made it clear; as the unit stands it runs the Linux operating system and, thus, _will not_ run _any_ native Windows software including Ozi Explorer. There are some "fudges" which attempt to try and run Windows progs. (Wine is one I think) but the last time I tried them (a few years ago) they were not much good.

Some programmes are available for both operating systems - (Firefox) and there are a number of free progs. which do the same job eg. "Open Office" is a free suite of progs much the same as Microsoft Office.

I understand you can install XP on the E-pc and Signman says a proper version of XP is imminent but given the way Windows uses the hard disk for temporary storage I suspect memory cards may not last long in this situation? Let others try it first is my advice :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 551484

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 17:15

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 17:15
I'm not sure if the technology has improved these days, but only a few years back, EE2prom (the sort of mass storage memory that these laptops use instead of a hard drive) had a write/re-write life of about 100,000 cycles. Depending on the sort of operating system, this may equate to a limited life in the laptop.
Gerry
FollowupID: 551496

Follow Up By: Hughd - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 17:29

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 17:29
Check the Ozi Explorer website. Ozi can be run under Linux, but there are special things you have to do. Can't find it right now, but I have seen the installation instructions somewhere. Ask the guys at Ozi or GpsOz first.
FollowupID: 551499

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:38

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:38
The EEPC is not a Windows based laptop , too restrictive in my opinion. It maybe suitable for some isolated specific applications but does not open the door completely to the mobile world. I use an IBM laptop that I rebuilt and connect to my Next G phone via USB cable. It's easy and I get broadband speed internet and email , weather forecasts etc.

Off course the other option is any laptop with USB ports (Anything nowdays) and a Telstra Next G Data card which are avilable on Ebay quite cheap. I would think this is the best way to go because it gives you flexibility to connect wirelessly to any sort of PC with a USB connection, handy.
AnswerID: 286371

Reply By: Mainey (wa) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:39

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 15:39
Jeanette,

As your "not a computer buff" I can just put this link in front of you and get comments from others as to which they would buy, you can then make some decision based on THEIR comments

DELL $749 Laptop It's not the top of the tree but it's not expensive either, it will do more for you when you return.

I would NOT even think about the ASUS Eee Model

Mainey . . .
AnswerID: 286372

Follow Up By: travelbugs - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:42

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:42
Thanks Mainey,

Kind of had a feeling that that one was too good to be true. But any advice would be great.

Obviously we don't want to spend a lot, but basically want to be able to send newsletters and photo's to family and friends, do emails and browse etc etc.....

Cheers Jeanette
FollowupID: 551486

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 18:30

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 18:30
This makes better sense.
Just check tho, if you are going to run it off 12v with a DC-DC converter (the most efficient way to go compared with 12-240vac inverter running the laptop's 240vac-20v power supply) then I believe that the Dell has a problem running directly off the DC-DC converter. Something to do with it needing to see its own AC power supply, not something else.
There are a few other makes such as Compaq and Acer selling a basic unit for around the $750 mark or less,with wireless and DVD burner which will fill the need, and can be run off DC-DC converters.
I've been running an $800 Compaq for the last couple of years, not superfast, but works fine for Ozi, email, surfing, storing photos, etc.
Gerry
FollowupID: 551517

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 00:48

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 00:48
My Dell Inspiron runs terrific on 240v from my Inverter, I've never tried running it from a 12v battery because it's not a 12v battery in the computer.
The 12v AGM battery is charged by the Solar system via the (3 x stage) Solar regulator at any where between 12.8 and ~15 Volts which may be a hassle for a dc -dc converter.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 551624

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:18

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:18
You can buy a step up converter that will run most laptops for from $69 up for a 6000ma but I believe that DELL wont run on them as they have their own proprietry connectors and nothing else will work.

If people are worried about ruining batteries with these just remove it. Most machines will run on power without the battery installed.
I checked with Compaq and mine does.
FollowupID: 551641

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:15

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:15
Ever tried working with a 7inch screen? I found a 10.4 inch screen on my old tabletPC to be borderline.
AnswerID: 286379

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:25

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:25
Maybe your eyes are borderline :))))

FollowupID: 551481

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:37

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:37
Yep, my eyes are dodgy, but my glasses are good!

But on a 7 inch screen, everything is 1/4 the size of a 14 inch screen. I use a 7 inch monitor in the car, and its usable because I know Oziexplorer backwards, and know where to click. And I amplify the maps to make them easily readable. But I'd give myself no chance of doing email or surfing the net on a 7inch screen.
FollowupID: 551483

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:42

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 16:42
there are getting to be quite a few other options 512g ram 80gig harddrive for only 2-300 more so dont buy on price alone make sure it will do what you want but still without breaking the budget
AnswerID: 286382

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 18:35

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 18:35
Dave
for an extra $250 you can get this Dell notebook:->Click on far left option, "Hot package" $749 then click on the 12 link pictures situated near the top to see some of the options already installed.

Then click on the "DELL RECOMENDS" link to see some of the 'upgrade' options available.

I believe there is no comparison realy, this Dell notebook can be used for ALL computer purposes when back home.

I'm posting on a Dell Inspiron now, just a bit severely upgraded, I run it off the Inverter when travelling.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 551520

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 18:39

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 18:39
I have an acer 4 something 512gig and 60 meg. i use it for Wireless internet at camp and run ozi using an invertor as well as use it for digi photos (I store these on a maxitor 80gig ext harddrive $100). this cost me $1000 but simular or better specced ones are now around the price you speak off and ive seen other brands
FollowupID: 551523

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:53

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 10:53
Dave
why do you use the "maxitor 80 gig external hard drive" for storing digital pictures ?

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 551873

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:37

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:37
So as to get them off the computer and still keep them portable. it is about the size of a pack of ciggies except thinner and i have a little padded pouch for it. seems less hassle than burning them to disc
FollowupID: 551885

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 21:55

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 21:55
Jeanette

You did not say much about your wireless needs. Where will you be travelling? If you have made arrangements to use access some hotspots then ignore the rest of my post.

Are you going to attempt to use wireless hotspots or are you going to require access through a BigPond account via the Next-G network. If it is the latter, the operating system of the EeePC is Linux and will not support the wireless modems.

If it is the former then as you get away from the more expensive caravan parks you will find wireless hot-spots few and far between. If you are going to use the ones in places like MacDonalds then you have to set up accounts before you start travelling.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 286450

Follow Up By: phimeow - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 08:33

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 08:33
@Nomadic Navara
"If it is the latter, the operating system of the EeePC is Linux and will not support the wireless modems"

For clarification eeePC standard linux DOES support wireless broadband modems, specifically the Huawei E220 (sold by 3 and Vodafone) is supoprted right out of the box.

Other 'dial up' and wireless broadband modems are supported also but require some tweak which can be problematic for non-linux people.
FollowupID: 551851

Reply By: howie - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 22:39

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 22:39
i am in the hunt for a new laptop at the moment.
i saw the eepc and thought i'd buy one just for the car, till i realised it was linux, then dropped it like a brick.
nearly all laptops have WiFi in them as standard now.
there are a few at just under $1000.
they won't be fast or have big hardrives but it depends what you want.
not suggesting you buy from hardley normal, but they had the best (ie most) laptops actually on display to play with so far.
good luck
AnswerID: 286466

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 23:25

Friday, Feb 08, 2008 at 23:25
I was informed that Windoze will run on the EEPC and that with a USB external drive it should do what you want. You may have to use a USB modem on it after you have installed windoze as I dont know if it has a PCMCIA slot or not
Is really only a small screened PC that would be suitable with windoze for running navigation software in the car and doing emails. To small to run many applications that require clarity
FollowupID: 551613

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 00:09

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 00:09
Graham

You are correct in that windows will run on it. However with a maximum of 8G of storage, if you do install XP on it there will not be muck memory left (PC portables have at least 30-40G of hard drive available - even after taking out the recovery partition.) Subtract even more drive memory when you install your bloated M$ type programmes and you are going to have very little left for your documents - you will probably have to carry a pocket full of memory sticks if you take a large number of high quality digital photos. Then you will have the problems of a very slow processor running XP.

They may be OK for a dedicated navigation machine if you do run XP but it will not be much good for a general purpose machine unless you keep it as standard and learn to use the Linux programs that come pre loaded.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 551617

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:11

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 08:11
As I said with an external USB drive you can, these days, have up to 1 Terrabyte of storage.I
If you read my post fully I basically said what you have repeated.

That is it isnt really a full blown machine but would be OK for navigation.
Incidentally memory and HDD space are not the same.

Memory is what the computer uses to hold files it needs to operate the programs its running and allow the processor to access them faster than reading off the drive all the time.

HDD space is where it stores them.

With Windoze however the speed it can work at depends on the size and location of its "swap file' and in this machine it would run slow as it has limited memory.

Using the USB drive and allocating space on it for the swap file would speed things up but not to the same extent as a machine with say 1 gig or more of MEMORY.

My daughter used to work for HN and other computer sellers and told me if I wanted a good solid machine that ASUS was the way to go. She particularly told me not to buy most of the brands named on here apart from Toshiba. The reasons were cost of parts with some, reliability with others and time away to get fixed with one not available in shops.
This is a personal opinion and should not be taken as gospel.
I have a Compaq and so far its been OK but doesnt get used much.
FollowupID: 551640

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 13:07

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 13:07
Graham you post:-> ""My daughter used to work for Harvey Norman and other computer sellers and told me if I wanted a good solid machine that ASUS was the way to go.
She particularly told me not to buy most of the brands named on here apart from Toshiba.
The reasons were COST of PARTS with some, RELIABILITY with others and TIME AWAY to get fixed with one NOT AVAILABLE IN SHOPS.
This is a PERSONAL OPINION and should N O T be taken as gospel.""

Graham, I suggest it's an absolute, total and complete waste of time & energy posting something when you then go and type at the end of the post
"This is a personal opinion and should NOT be taken as gospel"
it really shows nil (zero) confidence in the aforementioned statement!

As you post, it's HER 'personal' opinion, and say:
"she particularly told me NOT to buy most of the brands named on here apart from Toshiba"
this indicates your daughter has actually read ALL the posts!

As a very satisfied DELL notebook user (with a degree in Computer applications) I can assure your daughter :-) DELL is a company that looks after their customers 100% not just 99%.

Your daughter would probably know nothing about DELL as a * SERVICE * company, because they are NOT sold by Hardly Normal, you buy them on-line or at DELL shops.

I assure you when you are fortunate enough to own a DELL computer, if you have ANY problem, simply phone them on their FREE 24 hour help line, which is NOT in India, you can get assistance on that SAME free phone call, relevant to ANY problem with the computer.

They also have a FREE service where they WILL do 'REMOTE service' on your DELL computer via the net, which gives instant results.

I've previously owned a Toshiba Satellite notebook and I know when it's taken out of the shop any problem is your problem - if it has a problem you must return it to where you bought it, NOT another shop in another town or even suburb, and if they can't fix it they have to send it away.

With DELL if they can't fix a problem on the free phone call they WILL look at your computer via their REMOTE service and if they see a problem that is component (HARDWARE) failure they replace it, I know that because they replaced mine with-out any serious questions being asked, and I was up in the bush, with probably no computer shops in the town, Carnarvon.

It took just one FREE phone call, nothing more.

They delivered it for free to me, ask your daughter if ANY of the brands that she does recommend WILL match DELL SERVICE, I know the answer is a resounding NO !!

With DELL you actually specify:

# HARD-DRIVE size
# MEMORY capacity
# CPU speed & brand
# OPERATING system you want to use
# LCD screen specifications up to wide screen 1680 x 1040

QUESTION: do you, (or your daughter) believe that ANY configuration specifications are available with ANY of the other brands, short answer is NO you have to take the computer as it is in the shop.
You can't UP-GRADE without paying - very expensive $$$

Just some very useful information for future reference.

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 551895

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 13:53

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 13:53
Well because I said its a personal opinion doesnt make it a waste of time.
It was merely to say thats what we think and is not necessarily what any one else may agree with as you so obviously dont.

What is her reading the posts got to do with anything.
She told me which ones not to buy and thats what I said.

I was stating what she told me and as she has over 10 years experience in both sales and in a wholesaler who builds machines to order I think she knows what she is tallking about

I thought Forums were for posting personal opinions.

You have done so with your rant about Dell.

I may not have a degree but have worked fixing computers for several years.
I build my own desktops out of selected parts so can upgrade and replace as required.

Try doing that with a Dell which apart from HDDS and DVD drives have mostly proprietry parts which cannot be substituted.

Can you get your Dell serviced locally and in a few days, I dont think so. There are lots of things that go wrong that cant be fixed or diagnosed over the phone.
Lucky you got free delivery most are $99 built in to the price.

My friend has a desktop Dell which wont recognise a Jump drive. Dell dont want to know.
Also she wanted to change the CD drive for a DVD and when she rang back the day after placing the order to change it, was given a short shift and was refused even though the machine wasnt being built then.

Incidentally you can buy an ASUS laptop built to your own specs. Certainly its not as cheap as mass produced but still is available for not much more than standard. After all it uses the same parts and they all have to be assembled so very little difference.

As I will never own a DELL I will never experience your obvious satisfaction with them.
I will continue with my ASUS machines which I have been building and using without trouble since way back when a 166 was fast.

Present machine a 3.2 running at 3.5 with 1 gig ram, 700 gig of HDD. 2 DVD burners, flatbed scanner and 35mm slide scanner, Photo quality printer, wireless router gateway and Voip box.
FollowupID: 551916

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 14:48

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 14:48
Graham,
the original post is about a *notebook* computer, *NOT* a desktop computer

My comments were ONLY relevant to NOTEBOOKS so will not waste time commenting on your statements of DESKTOPS.

""Can you get your Dell serviced locally and in a few days""
YES, often NEXT day from personal experience.

""Try doing that with a Dell which apart from HDDS and DVD drives have mostly proprietary parts which cannot be substituted""
wrong again, DELL does NOT make the components, DELL is the largest supplier of computers world wide, and many of the components that go into DELL also go into other computers, including Toshiba too.

""There are lots of things that go wrong that cant be fixed or diagnosed over the phone""
yes, and that is when they are REPLACED as I said from personal experience.

""Lucky you got free delivery most are $99 built in to the price""
If you read my post again you will see I was talking about replacing a faulty component FREE, not the original computer delivery fee!!

As you can see your machine is slo compared to mine but I may have paid more for the extra speed and clearer 1680 wide-screen display.
INTEL Core 2 Duo Processor (T7200)
4MB Cache
667 MHz FSB
1024MB memory
Windows XP Media Center
2Yrs Dell Inspiron Notebook Collect & Return warranty
120GB Hard Drive, Partitioned with Primary 40GB in C Drive, Remainder in D Drive
15.4" Ultra-Sharp Wide Screen SXGA+ TFT Display
Photo quality printer, Blue tooth, Wireless router and stereo speaker system with wireless mouse and stuff I don't use & have forgotten about lol
but who cares, you bought it up, I only clarified it for you.

Mainey . . .

FollowupID: 551924

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 15:47

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 15:47
As you say who cares
FollowupID: 551939

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 17:43

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 17:43
Graham, "who cares?"
you did !
till your post was shown to be incorrect
Unlike opinions, *facts* are conclusive and irrefutable
just like to end it with a nice thought lol

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 551971

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 17:59

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 17:59
I posted a personal opinion regarding the subject of the post, not to get bagged and nitpicked by someone for it.

I have had contradicting experience with Dell as a company so stand by my experience.

I haven't got a Dell laptop and never will.

I am happy with what I have and didn't criticize you for what you have.

We differ in our choice of machines so why not leave it there.
FollowupID: 551973

Follow Up By: Mainey (wa) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:48

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 18:48
Graham,
you posted->""My friend has a desktop Dell which wont recognise a Jump drive. Dell dont want to know""
Yes,
I can fully understand that, because it sounds like it's a 3rd party PROGRAMING problem and definitely *N0T* a DELL COMPONENT problem, and I believe with your experience you would have advised her so?
and I don't think that's 'nitpicking'

Mainey . . .
FollowupID: 551987

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:44

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:44
G'day all in-car laptop users.

I have also been looking around for a laptop for navigation (currently use a iPaq PDA), music and a couple of other bits and pieces, but have always been a little sceptical of how these things will stand up to thousands of km of corrugated roads, dust, moisture etc...

Those of you who have been doing this for some time, could you please post your experiences? Any ongoing issues with HD failure?

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 286515

Follow Up By: Richard W (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:43

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:43
Mark,

My PDA carked it after a few years using it out and about and I was finding the screen too small. I purchased a Dell Latitude ATG 630 and mounted it on a RAM mount. This setup is not cheap but I've run it over some fairly rough tracks around Yawal and Landcruiser Mountain Park amongst others with no dramas. The Hard Drive is rubber mounted and I run Copilot 10 and Ozi. I use an LG500 phone on NextG as a modem to get online if I have too.

FollowupID: 551797

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 13:12

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 13:12
I've killed two so far; one Dell and one IBM. Most of my off road stuff is in the High Country so not hundreds of km of corrugations but a few big bumps from time-to-time :)

The problem seems to be in the internal connectors rather than the hard drive and leads to intermittent operation or random lock-up.

I recently bought an Acer and by foregoing the $100 cash-back extended the one year warranty to three years - if it stands three years I'll be happy and if not Acer can pay for it :)

As most (all?) laptops have ventilation slots on the base ensure they sit on a flat, hard surface ie. not the car seat, (I use a piece of hardboard under mine) and provide some cushioning for them in the shape of soft foam rubber or similar. These days I mainly use my Mio GPS thingie and only fire Ozi Ex up if I'm totally confused (some would say that's my normal state :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 551896

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Yalgoo) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 14:05

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 14:05
Yes Mike this is not made apparant as only the cash back is advertised I only found out about the xtended warranty option when i went on line to register.
i figured it could be of more use than 100 Bucks
FollowupID: 551918

Reply By: Russ n Sue - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 13:00

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 13:00
Just a comment regarding power sources for whichever laptop you choose in the end.

If you go for an inverter so that you can run the laptop via its AC plug pack, remember that 240V from and inverter can kill you dead just as easily as 240V from the wall socket in your house. Be sure to protect the 240V cable from the outlet of the inverter to the input of the AC plug pack so that it cannot get pinched or cut accidentally. If the cable does get cut and contacts you, you'll cop it. If it contacts the body of the car, and because most of these devices are not directly earthed, there is the potential to "liven" the entire vehicle body. If you are unlucky enough to use your body to provide a return path for the current, you'll be in a lot of trouble.

When I worked for the electricity utility in WA, one of their investigators had to look into a fatality caused by this very problem.

The very nature of 4WDing means that the possibility of a cable getting damaged is higher than in, say, an on-road vehicle, so make the effort to protect it and thus yourself.

Cheers,

Russ.

BTW, I run a Panasonic Toughbook in my vehicle. it has a 10.4" screen and fits unobtrusively on the dashboard as the screen folds down like a tablet PC. It runs OziExplorer, Magellan Discover Aus and Co Pilot for navigation. (Well two out of three at any given time.) Bit expensive though and I wouldn't have purchased it if not for the Gov't of Australia paying for it via tax depreciation.

AnswerID: 286683

Sponsored Links