Rear window savers best one

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 12:46
ThreadID: 5439 Views:2181 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody used a Obies rear window saver?
Or has an opinion on anything better to save smashing a rear window when towing a trailer on dirt.
Have many people smashed rear windows?
I've heard of 2 breakages amongst friends.
Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Darian - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 13:34

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 13:34
I threw away the stone guard my trailer builder made and put my own on - big as I could make it - check out the stone guards on the $$$ pro trailers for design - just make sure its high and wide... just needs to be mild steel tubing with sarlon shade net. Hinge it at the base so you can swing it away when static - angle it with light chain and metal springs for travel. Check you angle and edges for sharp turns.
Add surfboard rubber cushioning on the tubes down low to slow the feral rock bounces. Never had any damage to the car with this set up. Rear window is a big issue but duco damage is bigger possibly.
Stop the lot in one go with a good guard set-up.Love the bush - stuck in the city - help.
AnswerID: 22502

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 22:19

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 22:19
Ask srowlandson on this list.. Smashed his GU one when they first came out, and was on way on a trip to Perth i think:???? anyway had to get one in South Aussie!! $900 odd later...

Mate who helped me install dual battery today, his boss just got back from Alice, smashed one on his 100 series with a rock and his trailer.

So a stoneguard would be agood investment.
AnswerID: 22532

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 08:03

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 08:03
Hi John, Just another option… I made up and fitted a full-length mud flap (in 2 sections) across the back of my Troopy. and it worked a treat ( cost approx $50 form Clark Rubber & 2 pieces of aluminum strips and some bolts). The flaps stop the stones flicking back in the first place
Mount it well back (off your bumper) – to minimize the possibility of backing over it in the rough stuff.
Better still a combination of the flaps and the stone guard will certainly protect you.

Cheers
Alex
AnswerID: 22542

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 10:29

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 10:29
I have a system like Darian's but I use a frame made of steel reinforcing rod, and the screen is made of fine galv mesh. Its been very effective over many thousands of Ks, until recently. About 200 Ks west of Alice on the road in from Haast's Bluff, doing about 60 kph, a single rock managed to bounce off the trailer and lightly tap the rear window. It took about $850 and a 4 week wait for the glass to come from Japan to rectify the damage. So from now on I'll have a thick vinyl sheet over the glass as well. The vinyl is from Clark Rubber and costs $30.
AnswerID: 22548

Reply By: lizard - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 15:22

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 15:22
Bought Obies rear window saver , after busting rear window on GU ... no problems since ..... so I recommend them ... less than $150 from memory
AnswerID: 22566

Follow Up By: Meron - Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 20:22

Tuesday, Jun 24, 2003 at 20:22
Dear Lizard
excuse my ignorance but where would one purchase an Obie and what exactly is it?
FollowupID: 15575

Follow Up By: lizard - Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 10:01

Wednesday, Jun 25, 2003 at 10:01
Obies rear window saver is a clear Polycarbonate sheet(s) that attach to rear windows with velcro ... he has a website ... type in "obies window saver" and you should get him ...... I have had it for 2-3 years , some of the velcro came off but you can buy it in Bunnings ....
FollowupID: 15628

Reply By: Member - Gary - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 21:03

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 21:03
John

I had a local glass dealer cut 4ml perspex sheets to the exact shape of both rear door windows. Attach with velcro and over rough tracks use duct tape for added security. Cost of whole thing $100.

A screen on the front of the trailer cuts body damage but stray rocks can still fly into the windows. GaryDead in the City - Alive in the Bush
AnswerID: 22594

Follow Up By: Ted G - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 06:40

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 06:40
I fitted an Obies to my Toyo 80 series for a trip around australia, followed the instructions to the letter, but in 40 degree heat the velcro came off the screen (duct tape for the rest of the trip) no glue would stick to the screen. The velcro is still on the rear window. Also no broken rear window.
FollowupID: 14934

Reply By: jules - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:23

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:23
the obies rear window saver is made from a material that is impervious to uv - so it doesn't crack like perspex - had some fitted to my headlights about 3 big trips ago - Oodnadatta, Fraser and much more - not so much as a stone chip - still looks like new- also rear window saver - no problems - must follow instructions to the letter and have screen absolutely spotless - no chemical residue and the velcro will stick - also leave it for at least 24 hours before fitting the screen - let the adhesive take hold - excellent quality adhesive on this velcro if you do it right ( i.e. don't put any weight onto the velcro till it takes hold)
jules
AnswerID: 22648

Sponsored Links