Starting problems with Jackaroo TD '98.

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 12:34
ThreadID: 54390 Views:3039 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Let me tell you about starting problem with my Jack, a 1998 TD.
In May 2006, just prior to the Injector Recall (and not being aware of it) I put my truck into the local Holden dealer to have the injector external seals replaced, for about the fourth time. While they were doing this, the mechanics put that diagnostic computer on it, and it showed that there was electrical interference with both the wiring harness and the oil pressure sender on the common rail (which makes the decision on whether the truck will start or not). So they said I would have to replace them at a cost of approx. $600. However, I insisted that they just wash out the electrical cup connectors on the harness to the injectors (as I had only put the brand new harness on myself about 2 weeks previously) and put it back on again. I reluctantly agreed to the sender unit, which they reckoned was cracked and leaking. In truth it was not, again, it was oil in the connections, but by this time I had paid for another one to be put on. About 3 weeks after this, the recall came, and the top came off again! New injectors, with new internal ceramic seals (the internal Viton seals were breaking down), and a whole NEW set of external seals on the injectors and the sleeves.
Last week, the truck, after doing a lot of stopping and starting, stopped completely, and I thought it to be a problem with the fuel pump on the motor, so had it towed to the Holden dealer. First thing they did was put that diagnostic computer on it, found that nothing wrong with the pump or the fuel system, but that the oil pressure sensor sender on the rail was defective, leaking, and that the wiring harness was also defective, and immediately ordered new parts (near $700). I argued that this was unnecessary, but the Service Manager, (from Toyota) insisted, and I had to cough up another $1100 to get it back. In checking, I found (again) that there was absolutely nothing physically wrong with the wiring harness that a good wash and possibly some gasket goo on the seals could not fix, and that the O-ring washer on the oil pressure sender was squashed and defective (a $17 part), and had been put on badly back in 2006, and had been getting progressively worse ever since, leaking oil, and lessening the very necessary pressure in order to start the truck. It had finally given up the ghost, allowed enough oil to pass to render the sender unit inoperative. Also, it appears some oil was in the electrical contact cup.
A wash, a new seal, put on properly, and I could have been saved a lot of money.
In truth, if I had woken up to what it was, as I should have done, I could have saved myself the whole cost except for one O-ring seal and some high-temp gasket goo for the tappet cover and the connectors, by doing the job myself.
Dealer garages with their diagnostic machines place too much reliance on them telling the exact truth, with no shades of grey. This thing could have cost a lot less if the garage had stripped down the top first, checked the connectors and the oil seal, done some rudimentary servicing, and put it back together.
If you are having anything like this problem, and as I say, I have had it in various manifestations ever since I got the Jack, but was often sidetracked by the problem with the Injectors, give a lot of thought to having the parts checked and washed before allowing new parts to be ordered at quite incredible cost. These dealer garages make a lot of their profits from selling the new parts.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 15:27

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 15:27
It is for exactly those reasons I will not service our Navara with Nissan Dealers.
I had a bad turbo-lag problem when I first purchased the vehicle, took it back and was lectured how to drive a " Turbo diesel ", I just let this idiot, waffle on and hen he had finished,, told him in no uncertain terms that I have driven concrete mixers, and have a fully endorsed Heavy Combination Liscence, and I know what turbo-lag is !

Fix it or I will take my services elsewhere,, They didn't fix it, so I went elsewhere, and had the problem fixed, immediately..

Moral of the story,, there are a lot of good Independent Garages out there, and they charge about 1/2 the price of the dealers,, and you get a real mechanic..

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 286547

Reply By: morgan - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 21:30

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 21:30
I have a 2001 Jackaroo 2001 TD with similar problems - seals replaced prior to recall, then recall and now it is running as if it has about 3 tonne behind it - will take to the Holden mob tomorrow for diagnosis but I am pessimistic. Why are they so clever to make oil pressure a starting requirement? Push starting was why I bought a manual - which can't be push started until the oil pressure is .................
AnswerID: 286789

Follow Up By: Jack0Dazza - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:37

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:37
..Which also makes it hard to start even with a tow!
All I can say is that if their diagnostic computer says there is some resistance to the electrical current, which is what it shows with oil on the contacts, you insist on a wash of the components in petrol or kero, a good dry, some blue gasket goo (no electrical conduction, heat resistant to some very high degree, oil resistant, available from people such as Repco, but used by the dealers on the tappet cover gasket, to save gasket replacement, which can be done many times) on the seals in the connector cups on the wiring harness. My real problem was the O-Ring on the pressure sender unit on the common rail, which had been defective since it was replaced in 2006, and made the truck hard to start and run ragged all that time, as it was allowing the oil under pressure to escape around the seal. So far, the oil on the contacts has not shown any appreciable difference in running, but does probably have some. Hard to detect when you are using something all the time. In operation, mine, with the oil pressure leak, did a lot of surging, which I though must be fuel problems. It would be running along, towing a loaded camper trailer in some instances, when it would abruptly lose power and run with a very appreciable lack of grunt. I would persevere, and in a few moments it would pick up and run perfectly again, perhaps for many klicks. I can only assume now that my ECU was somehow compensating for the lessening oil pressure.
Unfortunately, with the Jack, just getting the tappet cover off and back on is going to cost hundreds of dollars with a dealer garage, in labour, and the usual 'ancilliaries' like gasket goo. I had been able to do this job myself in just less than four hours back in early 2006, replacing a harness, and should have taken the top off myself again this time. But I really did think it was a fuel problem, and all my ministrations in that line had been totally ineffective.
FollowupID: 552087

Reply By: Russ n Sue - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 15:01

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 15:01
Wait until they tell you that the "check egine" light on the dash is a faulty Throttle Position Indicator. Holder dealer price $759.00 before fitting. My price after pulling it apart and replacing a variable resistor? $19.50. The broken turbo? Now that was a whole different thing......

Cheers,

Russ.
AnswerID: 286884

Sponsored Links