PolyAir Springs

Submitted: Monday, Nov 12, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 544 Views:2063 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Cookey asks:
I am looking to fit a set of PolyAirs to my Prado to increase the load carrying capacity and maintain ride height when travelling out back.
I am getting conflicting reports from the accessory suppliers with some saying that I am better off fitting heavy duty springs.
Any Comments?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew C - Monday, Nov 12, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 12, 2001 at 01:00
Heres an old thread.http://www.exploroz.com.au/Forum/View.asp?ForumQID=411
Im considering buying a set myself. I think its a hard ride if your cars got HD springs and little weight in the back.
AnswerID: 1402

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Nov 12, 2001 at 01:00

Cookey,

If you are going to keep your Toyota Pajero (sorry - I can never resist at the fact that Tojo copied the Pajero) well laden all the time then the HD springs are a better bet for you.

However, if (like me) you will be running the truck unladen for a large proportion of the time and only loading it up for the odd trip then the Polyair adjustability makes a great deal of sense. I have heard virtually nothing but priase for them.

I am going for the Polyairs.

Joe
AnswerID: 1403

Follow Up By: Cookey - Monday, Nov 12, 2001 at 01:00

Thanks for the Quip re the "ToyJero" Joe.
In fact I have just switched my mount from an NJ 3.5 Paj to the new LE 50th Anniversary Prado.
Having just spent the past 5 years saying the same as you I suppose the shoe is now on the other foot.We went on many treks in the Paj' including most of Lennie Beadell's "Bomb Roads" and am pleased to report that it never missed a beat.
Only time will tell if our change was for the better!!
FollowupID: 431

Reply By: Tony- Monday, Nov 12, 2001 at 01:00

Cookey, I fitted PolyAirs to the rear of my 80 series and I think they are the bees knees! I towed a heavy camper for 10,000ks through the desert regions and they make a world of difference. Doesn't bottom out anymore, smoother ride, they *don't* restrict articulation as long as the pressure you run is commentsurate with the load. At first I had them with standard height springs without any problems but I have fitted a lift kit now and the air bags are back in and doing a supurb job. The only thing I would recommend is; the air line supplied is not very robust. Do yourself a favour and either replace it with fuel hose (as I have done) *or* feed the air line through some reinforced hose line. You'll understand when you see the line supplied. It's thin black plastic and can puncture easily from stones. I have done over 30,000ks with mine and the bags themselves show absolutely *no* sign of scuffing or wear. I love 'um.
AnswerID: 1404

Follow Up By: Cookey - Monday, Nov 12, 2001 at 01:00

Thanks Tony, it seems to me now that the best route to follow is the same as yours.
As the vehicle is new I might as well give the factory coils a run (with PolyAirs).
I actually commented on the air lines to one of the suppliers but was told that the material was the correct type for off road use.
Happy Trekking
FollowupID: 432

Reply By: Peter Gordon - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2001 at 01:00
Cookey, I fitted a pair to my Prado and they did a superb job up until I sold the vehicle. HOWEVER, they DO NOT increase the load carrying capacity of the vehicle, they mearly keep the whole thing level when loaded. If you use them to increase load carrying capacity you will find you start breaking wheel studs, axles, and even warping wheels if you go to far. Good Luck, Peter
AnswerID: 1418

Reply By: Cashy - Thursday, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 22, 2001 at 01:00
Cookey what the suppliers don't tell you when they fit the polyairs is that they have to cut out the bumpstops in the Prado which can lead to you over compressing you shock when you have the polyair deflated and you are having some fun off-road. A friend of mine found this out and needed to replace his leaking shocks as they had hairline fractures at the top of both rear shocks.
I would recomend to replace the springs with a heavier duty set. I run King Spring and Bilstein shocks and after 60K of this combination and cannot fault them. I have taken my Prado to Cape York this yeear and the Gunbarrel highway last year without any problems. If you fit aftermarket springs you also have the option of increaseing the height of the springs as well to help with approach and depature angles.
AnswerID: 1467

Sponsored Links