Ignition/ glowplug relay problem

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 21:36
ThreadID: 54412 Views:4907 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
My 89' diesel troopy has just started to develop a clicking sound behind the glove box, this has happened whilsts driving and if i have got pressure on the accelerator the car feels like its loosing power for about 1 or 2 seconds, then its fine until the click sounds again.
I have two ideas what the problem could be
1 ignition is not returning back or moving forward to bring the glow plugs in whilst driving.
2 glow plug realy is faulty.
Has any one had a problem like this before, what are some checks i can do, and is it possible to remove the pre heat from the ignition and just use a push button for the glow plug relay.

Thanks
Regards.....Stephen.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:25

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:25
I don't think it is the glow plugs, It could be the Edic motor.

The glow plugs have no function after the car is started.

I stand corrected.

Cheers Steve.
AnswerID: 286616

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen F (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:42

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:42
G'day steve whats an edic motor?, the ignition /starter diagram that i'm looking at doesn't show an edic motor just the ignition, per heat timer, 2 glow plug relays, a resistor and a current sensor, and a water temp sensor(which i just had replaced due to a cracked thread, i think this could also be a likely problem)

Regards.....Stephen
FollowupID: 551796

Follow Up By: Steve from Top End Explorer Tours - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 23:07

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 23:07
The Edic motor is the little motor that opens the fuel pump via a rod about 200 mm long, its a small box with a swing arm on it as you turn the key it swings and opens the fuel pump.

Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 551809

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:32

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:32
There is a low pressure cut-out relay for the air conditioning unit situated behind the glovebox which cuts in & out when your A/C gas is low. This could be the cause of the clicking sound.
AnswerID: 286621

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 01:09

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 01:09
This will NOT remove engine power as the OP mentioned.
Klaus
FollowupID: 551831

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:32

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:32
The EDIC control box is mounted behind the glovebox in the 75 series, if as many troopies do there are cracks in the body or poor sealing on the windscreen water leaks in and gets into the plug and wiring connections. Usually solved by drying out and cleaning the connections. If water has got into the control box then you may need a replacement unit if cleaning and dissassembly doesn't fix it.
As has been said the glowplugs do not operate once the engine is running for more than few seconds.
You might be lucky and it might just be a poor connection on the plug to the control box.
AnswerID: 286622

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen F (VIC) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:46

Saturday, Feb 09, 2008 at 22:46
Cheers peter i will give that a go sounds like a fairly simple job is iteasy to get to and what is an EDIC?

Regards....Stephen
FollowupID: 551800

Follow Up By: V8 Troopie - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 01:07

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 01:07
I drive an '89 diesel troopy and have a good idea what the problem is.
If you DO lose power during the 'clicks its the oil pressure sensor which in turn controls the coil of the edic motor (actuator is a better term - it actuates the rack of the injector pump).

I used that function deliberately while the 2H motor was still under the bonnet of my trropy. Fitted a concealed switch that broke the connection to the oil pressure sensor. The effect of this was that the motor would start and run for a few seconds and then 'click' and stop. One could restart it and the above would repeat at nauseum.
Figured that any thief would give up by then and and go for an easier drivable troopy.

So, do check the oil pressure sensor, its on the driver side of the engine, near the fire wall, just above the EDIC motor.
Check the wiring to it, it may be intermittent and DO check your oil level - it may be too low or the oil pump not working properly.
Klaus
FollowupID: 551830

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 07:32

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 07:32
EDIC stands for Electronic Diesel Injection Control.
Back years ago diesels had a cable that was used to control the injection pump, it was normally in the run position and to stop the engine you pulled the cable to put the injection pump in the stop position.
Then as things progressed to become more complicated they developed the EDIC system which as has been said is an electric motor which moves a rod to change the position acvcording to the ignition key position.
The reason for the box of electronics is the need to put the injection pump in a timing advance position for cold starts,stop the engine if there is no oil pressure and on later engines an idle up position for aircon etc.
On your 2H engine there is a second oil pressure switch which stops the engine if there is no oil pressure. That is because the 2H will actually run backwards if it is stalled especially when they get older. The oil pressure switch location has already been given above.
FollowupID: 551838

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen F (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 16:27

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 16:27
Thanks for the info guys, what i found was a fuel control unit in the passenger kick panel, checked unit and connections, no water in unit checked wiring to oil pressure switch and cleaned connection.

Had no click sound while i let the motor run for 20min lets hope its just loose connections.

Whilst we're talking about oil pressure the guage on the dash drops to low when i have driven the car at 90-100k's for extended periods what are your thoughts on this.

Thanks again i was completely in the wrong area when i thought glow plugs.

Regards.......Stephen
FollowupID: 551949

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 16:35

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 16:35
Dirty oil and tired engine ;-))
FollowupID: 551953

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen F (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 17:01

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 17:01
The motor is a reco only 35-40K old and i always change the oil, guess i was hoping for more loose connections.

Regards....Stephen
FollowupID: 551963

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy (springsure- Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 14:19

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 14:19
There have also been EDIC problems caused by the trailer plug wiring causing an intermittant problem only allowing the motor to idle but not rev.
I can't remember exactly what caused it but it was a common problem with 2H powered 75 series early in the piece.

The NRMA allways knew how to fix it straight away.

Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 286699

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen F (VIC) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:26

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:26
Well i will be up in your neck of the woods soon, i hope it was just a loose/dirty connection, and problem is solved.
Send us a MM if you remember.

Regards...Stephen.
FollowupID: 552075

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:16

Sunday, Feb 10, 2008 at 20:16
G'day Stephen,

I hope the following helps.......

Were you running lots of high power items at the time??
ie driving lights, A/C, fridge. etc etc??
There is a voltage drop to the controlling relay, possibly dirty/ corroded contacts, when the power drain on the system is at peak you will get the EDIC motor shutting off the fuel feed. This can be simulated by turning EVERY electrical device on, then looking under the bonnet ( you don't specify what type of diesel troopy you have) from the driver's side and should see the rod - connecting EDIC to fuel pump, moving back and forth. See a good auto elec!!
Had a similar problem with the 60 on the Australia Day Long weekend. We've had the vehicle for 10 years and this was the first time the problem has occurred. Drove from Paynes Find to Ninghan Station with the rod disconnected so we had good lighting on the road.

Cheers,
Wayne.
AnswerID: 286759

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen F (VIC) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:31

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:31
Thats kind of freaky Wayne my too happened on the Australia day weekend. The motor is a 2H, and no the electrical drain on the system was minor..

Regards......Stephen.
FollowupID: 552077

Sponsored Links