12V - 240V power inverter

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 14:30
ThreadID: 5442 Views:5708 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I have a c'van without a fridge and looking at the prospect of cheap 240v fridge for c'van Park.

Does anyone know whether or not a 12-240v inverter which I can buy at Auto shop will be suitable to run fridge as temporary measure until we reach c'van park.

Any info appreciatedLooking forward to Kalbarri in July..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roger - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 15:15

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 15:15
Check the amount of watt's that the fridge requires then purchase an inverter that will supply this amount plus 10%. As most modern bar fridges use only a nominal amount of power approx 120 watt an inverter that will supply 150watt's should be ok. Be aware that 120 watt's = 10amps roughly so the power required woud be hard on battery's. Also household fridges are not made to withstand the jolting of travel whilst running. Best bet if you do not like 3 way fridges is to install a 12v / 240v type fridge which are readily available and some just slot into the old 3 way fridge space, they are also a lot cheaper to bye. Some of the makers are, Engel, Waeco, Arid and Coolmatic. Ring the 12 volt shop on 08 9458 1212.

Hope this helps.
RegardsDodg
AnswerID: 22505

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 15:54

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 15:54
Scotti
the inverters you get at the auto shops are not suitable for starting a refrigeration compressor. When a compressor is at top or bottom of stroke it takes heaps of grunt to get them going. Go to a supplier of inverters suach as the solar panel suppliers who could advise what inverter is needed...i warn you, it wont be cheap but it will allow a compressor to start. The others you are talking of are suitable for fans, drills compters TV's etc or anything that does not start under full load. Richard
AnswerID: 22507

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 16:01

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 16:01
gday scotti.
this is a hard one to answer.
yes and no an inverter will work.
i looked at doing the same thing a while ago.spoke to a couple of refridgerator people and was told when it comes to a fridge triple the watage of the fridge.
mine said 74 watt so i bought a 300 watt inverter from super cheap.
it didnt work. after a little bit of asking around i found out that fridges can use up to 1000wat to kick the compresser in.
i took the inverter back to super cheap and bought a 500 watt inverter with an 800watt kick in.still didnt work.
spoke to our local auto elec who sells good quality inverters and he told me there is different type inverters something to do with the sine wave.
type in inverter in the search bar above and theres a bit there about the different types of sine wave inverters.
the ones you get from super cheap ect have a different type sine wave to the good ones.
a good one uses pure sine wave and cheaper ones dont.
i took my fridge down to the auto elec and a 500watt pure sine wave works.
diference was 500watt super cheap about $200
pure sine wave about $800 from auto elec.
i ended up bying a generator pluging the fridge in for a few hours before we leave then if we go to caravan park plug it back into 240 or if camping fire up the genny.
hope this isnt to confusinglooking foward to september(landcruiser park/fraser island)
AnswerID: 22508

Follow Up By: Member - Scotti - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 19:08

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 19:08
Dicksmith Electronics have 500w with 1100w surge capability.Will do some more research.Looking forward to Kalbarri in July..
FollowupID: 14865

Follow Up By: Member - Scotti - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 19:10

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 19:10
oops! forgot to mention price. only $300
Will do some research.Looking forward to Kalbarri in July..
FollowupID: 14866

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 21:01

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 21:01
scotti,
a invrter to start a refrigeration compressor is going to cost $$$$
check with Jaycar Electronics (buy their cataglogue, as it also advises) and they will put you straight.

A 240v refrigeration compressor likes pure sine wave inverted power.

An alternative is to buy your fridge and have a danfoss 12v compressor fitted. Will work out to same cost of an engel or similar in the end unless you know a fridgie.

Richard
FollowupID: 14870

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 18:59

Saturday, Jun 14, 2003 at 18:59
Hi
You will need to do something with the door, as the first bumpy corner will see everything spread over the floor.
You should be able to do as you suggest. Inverters are getting cheaper all the time, i would go for one with alot more spare grunt, because you inveriably add things like lights, t/v etc if you have the power. Get advice from an expert and you should be ok. Never tried this guy but his name is Mr Inverter and adevertises in overlander etc.
I have a caravan fridge made by Engel that runs on both 240 and 12v. Excellent cold fridge, and it should be at $1200 new. Obviously doing what you suggest wont cost more than 600 odd, so your infront. Also, the fridge will stay cold if it isnt opened in transit.
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 22522

Sponsored Links