Spare parts prices.... Again..

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 08:57
ThreadID: 54453 Views:2643 Replies:7 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Went to get an accessories belt for the Paj on the weekend...

Mitsubishi Motors... $139 What the f(#*$&!
Autobarn... $90 :-(( %$&^$
Repco... $47

Un-bloody-believable........
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 09:33

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 09:33
What's an accessory belt John?

Andrew
AnswerID: 286840

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 09:49

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 09:49
The Alternator/Aircon/Powersteer/Waterpump drive belt. One of those really long all-in-one serpentine belts.
FollowupID: 552069

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:13

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:13
Thanks John, too early in the week for my poor brain.

I had to get the alternator belts replaced (and got the fan belt replaced at the same time) and was pleasantly surpirsed at the price difference between mitsubishi and non-mitsubishi (note the lack of word "genuine" as this word seems to be rather abused in some cases)

Andrew
FollowupID: 552073

Follow Up By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 18:58

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 18:58
If you ever break one of your plastic tail/stop/indicator light lenses make sure you have a loose 450 bucks laying around for genuine Itsi-bishi part. (bloody stump) :-((
Fred.
FollowupID: 552142

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:17

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:17
Tell me about it... i had one broken t/l and fortunately i had a contact who could get them for heaps cheaper....through the local mitsubishi dealership. There is a huge markup somewhere.

Andrew
FollowupID: 552149

Reply By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:05

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:05
There are alot of other things that make up the final price of an item.

Like-
Storage and freight logistics.
Handleing.
Dealere markup.

If a genuiun part broke and that part was at fault within the warranty period you can take the vehicle to a dealer and get it repaired for free.

Example:- a radiator hose has a small leak the size of a pin and you get stuck 200k from the nearest town the chances are Mitsubishi would more then likely send someone out to tow or repair the vehicle.....try that with Repco.

The part you are talking about may only need replacing every 5 years so you are talking an extra $18.40 a year to have a genuiun part.

The part may come from the same manufacture but is it to the same standards.

Now don't get me wrong Im not sticking up for thr dealers, we have the same problem when we have to fit parts to customers car and we have to buy genuiun....on a $100 part we might only be able to mark it up by 10% if we are lucky.

The part you are buying from Repco is it the same quality as the genuiun and if so how do you know?

Regards Richard

AnswerID: 286844

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:26

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 10:26
Try a Vehicle Speed Sensor for Jackaroo with TOD.

Holden price $550, but no longer available.

Rockauto price, $US65.00, in stock, landed cost $AU120.00.

Or a Thermo fan sensor for Mazda 121

Mazda price $133.00, in stock

Rockauto price, $US21.00, landed cost $AU25, (freight combined with the Jackaroo sensor)

Now it's all very well to go on about a "genuine" part, but that advice would be pretty bloody useless for my Jackaroo situation, and I'll take my chances with the Fan sensor for a $100 plus saving.

I replaced my Jackaroo serpentine belt at 70,000ks with a Non-genuine part. The "poorer quality" part has now lasted 80,000ks, and shows no fault on inspection, whereas the original was visibly deteriorating.

So I guess the non-genuine parts are not the same quality as the OEM / Geniune parts, they can be better.

I'd rather pay the RACV the extra $100 for Total Care Service, than pay a dealer an extra $100 for a part and hope they come and get me when I break down.
FollowupID: 552076

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:24

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:24
You're right, I have no way of knowing if this belt is the samequality as an OEM unit. I also have no way of knowing if it's any BETTER than the OEM unit. Just know I can buy three of these for one of those ;-)

Car is not under warranty so no problems there.

Some parts I have no problems paying for the genuine article (engine or transmission parts for example) but hoses, belts, brake pads, even wiper blades I get a bit toey about
FollowupID: 552084

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:31

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:31
Well that is a pretty stupid way to answer....if the part was not avaliable new genuiun what other option did you have?

Map sensor for a 97 F250, Trade here $671.00+ and from a Ford dealer in Texas $109.00 landed here.

RACV don't carry ever part either!

There atr proberly 1000's pf people who have horror stories about aftermarket part and the same can be said for genuiun but atleast you have backup and surport.

I would not get to stressed about it.

FollowupID: 552086

Follow Up By: Gerhardp1 - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 13:51

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 13:51
Just what is needed, a child response to an attempted adult discussion.

Who said anything about RACV carrying parts? I know they don't. But when you have Total Care, they get you home, including your trailer or caravan. Then you can decide whether to employ a mechanic to fix it, or go to the stealer.

Backup and support from a dealer just because you paid their extortion fee, I'd like to see that.
FollowupID: 552094

Follow Up By: Russ n Sue - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 14:49

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 14:49
Olcoolone,

while I agree with the general thrust of your argument, as a former Pajero owner (from new), I have to disagree with...

"Example:- a radiator hose has a small leak the size of a pin and you get stuck 200k from the nearest town the chances are Mitsubishi would more then likely send someone out to tow or repair the vehicle.....try that with Repco."

Mitsubishi, in my experience, have been the most difficult company I have ever had to deal with for any maintenance issues. Very few things get fixed under warranty by Mitsubishi without first having to undergo a "blame game" scenario whereby they try to abrogate any responsibility on their behalf.

In my case, amongst many issues I had with them, the catch that holds the bonnet closed simply broke off. At the time I was doing 100Km/hour and the bonnet flew open, smashed the windscreen and caved the roof in. The vehicle was just 35,500 Km old. (The guy I was working with had his catch break off the next day, at 35,100Km on the clock! As it happens our vehicles were just 100 apart on the production line.)

I was about 450 Km from home and I limped to a roadhouse about 350 Km from home and contacted Mitsubishi. They told me to get the car to them and then they would look at rectifying the problem. In this incident I could well have been killed and they still insisted that I had to get the vehicle to them. I don't like your chances of getting a lift for a pin prick hole in a radiator hose!

By the way, after looking at my vehicle, Mistubishi then asked me a series of questions about the type of driving I did, where I travelled and what the terrain was like. You would think that they were trying to ascertain why the bonnet latch broke off, but no, it later transpired that they were looking for an angle to get out of paying for the repairs. They actually stated that the vehicle was not built for the purpose for which I had purchased it!

Maybe Toyota, definitely Land Rover and more expensive makes of vehicle would behave in the way that you suggest, but certainly not Mitsubishi.

Cheers,

Russ.
FollowupID: 552103

Reply By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:04

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:04
Did the Belt go straight on without adjusting the Tensioner Pulley.I replaced mine straight on and made no adjustment to Tension,all seamed fine. Every Cold Start and for a short period of time I have a Rolling Sqeak in the timing area, I am interested to see if yours does the same.I have sprayed Silicon on it and the noise goes away but it comes back after a week when the belt dries out. The Tension seams fine by feel with some movement in the belt to what I would expect.
AnswerID: 286855

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:28

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:28
Yes went straight on. Plenty of travel left in the tensioner, which I believe you can't adjust anyway... I recently replaced one of the idler pulleys (genuine article $105.... :-(( ) as the bearing was a bit noisy. Would shut up after spraying with lube but noise would come back after a few days. Maybe that's your problem?
FollowupID: 552085

Follow Up By: Trevor W(Brisbane) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 14:28

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 14:28
The noise seams to come from top left pulley which is the spring loaded tensioner pulley. I have had it off the motor and put some oil into the bearing. It seams in good condition. Is this the one that you repleced.
FollowupID: 552099

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 15:38

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 15:38
No, the one I replaced was the next one along the top.
FollowupID: 552112

Reply By: Skinnydog - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:50

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 11:50
You always have to shop around and genuine does not mean better quality, just easier warranty claims. My hunjy is well out of warranty and I only ring toyota to see what I'm not going to pay.
My old 75 speedo cable:Toyota-$90
Repco-$40
Coventry's-$18.9
Was in car for 3yrs when I sold it to mate and he kept it another 3yrs with no probs.
I was stuck 50kms out of town recently with top hose gone, managed to get message to missus and sent her to toyota thinking at least I will get right part on this 45 degree day.
Twice wrong hose from toyota, third time lucky from Repco.
Toyota gave my wife hard time second time around saying I must have modified something.
When I went in & complained about service was told new guy was on that day on his own(where is the training?).
Wondering if Nissan have bought Toyota secretly?
AnswerID: 286858

Reply By: Mark & Jo, S/side, Bris - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:15

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:15
Yep, did ours last year... Autobarn $99. Supercheap $39.

Cheers
Jo
AnswerID: 286896

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:53

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 16:53
I can get a complete reconditioned brake caliper to manufacturers specifications for $124 ex Melbourne

Nissan Adleiade want $154 for 4 caliper rubbers!!!

Maybe they just try it on to see if one is thick. Shop around

Sorry Richard(Olcoolone), I don't buy what you say. Genuine(not genuiun...lol) OEM parts at atrocious prices is not the way to go. Most of the time aftermarket parts are just as effective. Nissan/Toyota/Mitsubishi aren't going to look after me any better than the aftermarket people if broken down 100 milkes from Whoop Whoop!

Cheers
AnswerID: 286906

Follow Up By: Member - Olcoolone (S.A) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 20:29

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 20:29
Willem, Toyota have all there Fan/V belts out for $43.00, Radiator hoses $29.23, Other cooling system hoses $15.38.

They have lowered alot of there parts 40%.

FollowupID: 552173

Reply By: Member - Fred G (NSW) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:03

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:03
Just seen on the news Mitsibushi repaid SA govt 32 mil $ loan from 2002 to square up seeing as they are folding up there.
C'mon fellas, they need the money...buy genuine LOL :-)))
Fred.
AnswerID: 286928

Follow Up By: TD100 - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:25

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:25
Well the way they treat their customers its no wonder they are folding!i bought a brand new L300 van,had it serviced by the local stealer-1st mistake.it developed a bad vibration at 40000k,took it in,no cant find anything,sure its in the rear somewhere,no definitly nothing.short time later a bearing noise from the rear.took it back-response----ohh bit of a noisy diff centre,leave it and see how it goes.almost had enough by this stage.little while later on tow truck to dealer with buggered diff centre,they put a second hand centre in it!gave it back to me,headed off home it still had that bad vibration in it,getting worse by the minute,5min from home and bang-crash-clunk-stop.1 folded in half tailshaft and broken yolk on shaft.it had been a buggered uni on the rear causing the vibe and then proceeded to flog out the pinion bearing in the diff,all this $hit for a lousy uni!!!!!never again Mr Bitsu bleep i never again.cheers Paul
FollowupID: 552151

Sponsored Links