GPS question about maps

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 18:55
ThreadID: 54478 Views:2056 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I currently use a Garmin GPS 126 which only does snail trail and waypoints. To get moving maps it is connected to a laptop running OziExplorer and Natmaps, also some Hema digital maps and UBD Capital Cities. I am thinking of updating the GPS but would like one that uses the maps I already own. Is there a brand or model that I could put my maps onto an SD card or similar and use. I also own Garmin Trip and Waypoint Manager if that helps.

Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:12

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:12
Hi Mike

There are many PDA's which run Ozi-explorer , some with inbuilt or add on GPS modules.

In general this way gives more accurate mapping than the self contained mapping GPSes
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 286931

Follow Up By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:30

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 19:30
Thanks Robin,
Your suggestion gives me something else to consider. Looks like I would have to buy OziExplorer CE (only $40) to run on the PDA. Can you point me in the right direction as far as PDA's go? I have never even looked at one before...

Mike.
FollowupID: 552153

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 20:26

Monday, Feb 11, 2008 at 20:26
Hi Mike

I haven't analyzed PDA's for over a year and could not really do justice to the subject currently.
There have been a number of posts here though by satisfied users with different combinations ranging from fully self contained uints to those using remote blue tooth gps receivers for collecting the position information.

These days their is a massive range and I hope to check them out more at our local Wandin 4wd show this weekend.

The range goes from fully integrated car pc type units that directly run Ozi and can switch to automatic routing systems like those at vmscarpc.com.au to your standard $300 PDA's

For me when looking at these things I look first at the ability of the unit to be seen and used when driving.
While I have most systems and maps I have learnt never to rely on the mapping accuracy and still today mostly use GPS maps as a guideline and load my own tracks before each trip.

So I personnally choose the Garmin 276c gps which has a high brightness high resolution screen. Sort of equivalent to VGA resolution.

A number of PDa's have VGA resolution these days including those from dell however this tends to put the cost up.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 552171

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:07

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 10:07
Have you checked out the Garmin site for n-Route. This application, which is free to download, is loaded onto your computer (laptop), GPS connected and hey presto, you have real time navigation with turn by turn voice prompts using the Garmin mapping. I have tested it quite a bit and so far am quite impressed with it - particularly the voice guidance generated through the laptop. Yeah sure I know, some will say that the Garmin maps lack detail however they suit me and besides it's always fun to go along an unmarked track and explore. If necessary I can always use 'backtrack' function and besides by then I have created a log-track for future use/reference. It requires Windows 2000, Windows XP or later. To check it out have a look at n-Route
AnswerID: 287030

Follow Up By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 19:50

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 19:50
Thanks Dio for the tip. I haven't yet bought a new GPS, and it looks like I will stick with my old Garmin 126 and laptop with ExploreOZ, this means I can use all my digital maps, I will probably buy a smaller laptop or a PDA for the display as the big issue for me is really the size of the laptop in the vehicle.
Mike.
FollowupID: 552521

Sponsored Links