OX Winch

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 21:49
ThreadID: 54520 Views:3120 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi...just like to know if anyone has used the OX hydraulic winch and if you found it effective ,easy to use and reliable.Would it handle the weight of a Landcrusier.

Cheers Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 22:08

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 22:08
Peter,

I have an Ox hydraulic winch. I had it on the 75 Series and now on the 78 Series.

When winching it is very slow, but has a high speed rewind.

The vehicle motor only has to idle, the winch runs off the power steering pump. When the steering wheel is moved the winch stops and when the steering wheel is still the winch will start again.

At max pull (10,000lb) the winch draws 2amps so there is no drain on the battery and it does not get hot like an electric winch so using plasma rope will not be a problem. It is also very quite.

Image Could Not Be Found

Wayne
AnswerID: 287156

Reply By: Dave from P7OFFROAD Accredited Driver Training - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 22:57

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 22:57
I have had OX winches on a 75 series, 78 Series and now on my GU (different winches)

They are brilliant, they will work all day.

I have had some trouble with the latest one on a couple of occasions, we ran all sorts of tests on the hydraulic system of the car, all were fine, so TJM replaced the winch, easy!

We also have the power steering override, this disables the steering completely allowing you to winch and steer (with big arms) but also prevents the winch from cutting out if the vehicle is pulled sideways at all (without the override, the pressure into the steering would be seen as an attempt to steer and the winch would cut out.)

AnswerID: 287167

Reply By: PhilD - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 23:37

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2008 at 23:37
My 10000lb Ox with plasma doubled on a 20000lb block pulled a 5.2T truck and 1.3T boat and trailer up a muddy bank out of the Lower Ord. I mean it will handle your Landcruiser!
AnswerID: 287176

Reply By: Member - Peter S (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 12:33

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 12:33
thanks guys ...sounds like they are worth having...I like the idea of them being independent of the vehicle electric,and running cooler has to be an advantage

cheers
AnswerID: 287245

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 18:15

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 18:15
Pete I'd go and see one running before buying to ensure you are happy with the wind in speed. Under full load you have to look twice to see if they are even moving. I've seen a recovery of less than 10m take 45 minutes. It was painfull to watch with the pump often cutting out. Because the speed is so slow it makes assisting with the wheels driving awkward as even with no load it has no hope of taking up the slack causing birdcaging.
Will they pull a Cruiser? No worries.
Are they reliable? Probably slightly more than a good quality electric.
As Dave said "They are brilliant, they will work all day". But then that's what they will need to do as they are so slow as.

Cheers Craig..........
Ramsey 9500lb HS electric.

FollowupID: 552481

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 21:32

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2008 at 21:32
A mate has one and is happy with it, except, as already stated, they are slow,
Big positive is that they don't overheat, no need to stop to cool down, work underwater and are fully sealed, thus not needing the attention that an electric winch needs.
Make sure you get the overide valve (Steering pump/winch by-pass)
Shane
AnswerID: 287343

Sponsored Links