Rediculous Service Charges

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 10:48
ThreadID: 5454 Views:1564 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Have mentioned in previous posts about buying my GU 3LTD second hand with just 15K kl on the clock. Others have posted here about not voiding warranty by doing own service or servicing by other than distributor network. Seems fair enough, so I trot the wagon down to the local dealer service centre for the 15K oil change. B....hell, $265.95 later and a few words from me I was a bit peed-off. Most expensive oil I've ever bought. And the broken inner rear mud guard shield was only patched up with cable tie, I thought they'd replace it under warranty, after all it broke. They did replace a headlight globe.
A few enquiries later elsewhere & I now know that any reg service mechanic can do the work & stamp the book. Make sure parts used are genuine though but warranty work will have to be done by dealer agents. I checked this with the MTA.
All these extras charging for cloths, throwing out old oil etc is add on excess. They told me they gave it a valet service (wash) - I washed it before I took it down. gee I'm cheesed off.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Johnad - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 10:54

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 10:54
The local Holden dealer told me they charge $105 per hour for labour to service the wifes car (just change the oil). I told them that neuro surgeons dont even charge this much and took my business to the local bloke who charged $45 per hour. Trouble is, too many pepole just pay the money and dont question the amount.
AnswerID: 22550

Reply By: Member - Chris (W.A.) - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 13:00

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 13:00
Hi Cocka,
Most warranties as you stated allow other workshops to service a vehicle.
I stick to my local Shell autocare as the mechanics in them tend not to rip customers off because if they do, the money doesn't go into their pocket anyway.
My local Shell autocare provides free carwash, no 'get rid of oil' charges (unless they're hidden) and even some lovely little tissues at the end of it.
All properly itemised and all different types of services on a display board.
I've even phoned up toyota and compared the part prices with the prices on the receipt and they've always been honest. - and no I'm not a secret shell agent trying to advertise for free.

Regards,Gibb River in July.
Chris
AnswerID: 22557

Reply By: Michael - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 13:09

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 13:09
Hi Cocka, Iv'e been smiling for the last 4 years about my Nissan dealer, If my Patrol is clean , they wash it, if its dirty, they dont. Maybe if thats the the mindset they have , maybe be we shouldn't trust our cars with them!! Michael
AnswerID: 22559

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 14:30

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 14:30
bin there done that many times
used dealers then went to 4wd ??????? and thought i was getting good service until i suffered overheating problems. Radiator taken off and discovered to be blocked with what appeared to be aluminium oxide or similar. letter to said firm and no answer. 2nd letter asking what they used as coolant during the 40k service coolant change and still no answer.. sent a third...no answer. Rang and they refused to discuss the matter. Appears the system wasnt flushed when they used a different coolant to toyota.

I now use toyota dealer for my 100 series (and i always seem to keep going back to the dealers albeit holden, fords , Mazda's or what ever as I have been invloved with looking after a small fleet of service vans)Richard
AnswerID: 22564

Sponsored Links