OT? What is a good post?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 13:22
ThreadID: 54567 Views:2264 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
And I’m not talking about the 18 inch diameter Ironbark strainer type…….

I have been scanning through the post since I was last here. There was one thread in particular that got me thinking what makes a good post/reply on this site? Do we only want to see posts and replies on specific details about outback trips and equipment; ones that contain solidly backed technical data or are we looking for the subjective experiences gained or the more human (emotive) side of the equation during open discussion of events either directly or indirectly related to 4WDing touring or any topic.

One of the things I enjoy about the contributors to this site is the variety of opinions that are expressed and styles of address used. We all have different experiences and backgrounds that lead to the comments made, some I agree with, some I relate to and some I don’t. I for one don’t mind sifting through the chaff, sometimes laughing sometimes in exasperation, to find what suits me and my situation or standards.

To the moderator feel free to delete if this is not the type of thread you want to see posted.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 14:49

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 14:49
I'm a little lost here. Are you asking for guidelines, or suggesting that some recent posts and answers weren't "good".

Surely (within the broad guidelines of decency) a post is "good" if it elicits positive responses that engage one in some aspect of the post's subject?

Personally I'd hate to see the deletion of larrikan posts. I feel they add much to the character of this forum. A bit of fun never goes astray.

Then there are those who simply post to start a blue by choosing a controversial topic and just sitting back and watching the feathers fly.

Perhaps there's a case for discouraging these posts?
AnswerID: 287452

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (FNQ) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 15:08

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 15:08
Footloose

Like...Ummm Next G phones...lol
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 552691

Follow Up By: Jred - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 15:11

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 15:11
Footloose,

I was just curious given some of the comments I have seen recently on the value of contributions that have been submitted and wondered what people expected. To be honest I think “guidelines” would be totally kill of the free range comments and questions that are posted and diminish the value, technical or entertainment, that this place has.
FollowupID: 552692

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 15:17

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 15:17
Fair enough Jred. I still think there's a place for moderation (cause I've been moderated before...but I don't hold the record by a long way :)
FollowupID: 552694

Follow Up By: Footloose - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 15:19

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 15:19
Doug, maybe there should be a screen that pops up before one posts that says, "Search the %^&**#$% archives first!"
FollowupID: 552695

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 16:23

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 16:23
I really fail to see how discussion on Next G phones should invoke any more reaction than the incessant threads on radios, fridges, tyres, batteries, chargers, solar etc etc.

To some travellers Next G is an important means of communication, probably more so, than the vehicles you see driving around bristling with half a dozen aerials.

My own experience with Next G has been very ordinary, currently on the third handset, as far as I can tell the quality of the handsets is as big an issue as the coverage.
FollowupID: 552707

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 18:14

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 18:14
"I really fail to see how discussion on Next G phones should invoke any more reaction than the incessant threads on radios, fridges, tyres, batteries, chargers, solar etc etc."

- because certain people get really upset when someone posts on a topic that they simply aren't interested in ! They seem to forget they aren't the only readers on this forum !

As long as people use accurate topic titles, it's very easy to avoid a thread you're not interested - rather than posting a comment like "this is a waste of time".
FollowupID: 552733

Reply By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 16:41

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 16:41
Jred,

Variety is the spice of life. Some of the old fuddy duddies on this site have lost it. Post whatever you think is appropriate.

AnswerID: 287473

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 16:58

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 16:58
>>Some of the old fuddy duddies on this site have lost it

care to name names? :P
FollowupID: 552721

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:01

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:01
Truckie,

LOL they're probably NOT the ones you're thinking of :)))

FollowupID: 552722

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:04

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:04
Listen here Sonny you will be an Old Fuddy Duddy one day.
Just give us old Fellas & Sheilas some respect.

Cheers
Daza
FollowupID: 552723

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:10

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:10
Truckie,

Just watch out for those Qlders, especially D A Z A :)

FollowupID: 552724

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:04

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:04
The one that appeals to the reader :-)
Cheers from the Moose
AnswerID: 287478

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:23

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:23
Moose,

That's just too damn sensible an answer :)))

FollowupID: 552728

Reply By: _gmd_pps - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:15

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:15
the one with a desciptive subject line ...
so your is a good post unlike many of the stupid subject lines one sees here ...
but that applies to emails too I guess... one must ask oneself what mental capacity people have sending emails with no subject or hi or something like this in todays world with spam and information overflow..

have fun
gmd
AnswerID: 287480

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:19

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 17:19
Jred,

What makes a good post?

The way it is presented has a lot to do with it. I hope Footloose does not mind but I have copy and past his reply. The first as it was sent and the second as some post are presented.

If the post is easy to read then I think that more will read it, if a photo is also included it also makes it more interesting.

"I'm a little lost here. Are you asking for guidelines, or suggesting that some recent posts and answers weren't "good".

Surely (within the broad guidelines of decency) a post is "good" if it elicits positive responses that engage one in some aspect of the post's subject?

Personally I'd hate to see the deletion of larrikan posts. I feel they add much to the character of this forum. A bit of fun never goes astray.

Then there are those who simply post to start a blue by choosing a controversial topic and just sitting back and watching the feathers fly.

Perhaps there's a case for discouraging these posts?"

Same post but too hard to read.

"I'm a little lost here. Are you asking for guidelines, or suggesting that some recent posts and answers weren't "good".Surely (within the broad guidelines of decency) a post is "good" if it elicits positive responses that engage one in some aspect of the post's subject?Personally I'd hate to see the deletion of larrikan posts. I feel they add much to the character of this forum. A bit of fun never goes astray. Then there are those who simply post to start a blue by choosing a controversial topic and just sitting back and watching the feathers fly. Perhaps there's a case for discouraging these posts?"

This is just my opinion, so regardless of the subject the better presented the more it will get read.

Wayne
AnswerID: 287482

Reply By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 18:45

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 18:45
Geez, bloody technical isn't it? I thought you could simply ask a question even if it was bit off topic but in the general framework of what Explore Oz is all about. I also thought you could pass an opinion on a posted topic.

Seems I'll have to study up a bit & maybe do a Uni course on what one should or what one should not do or say on this forum & more importantly how one should express oneself. One can never be to careful or adventurous, can one? LOL & cheers

AnswerID: 287493

Follow Up By: Member - Edward G (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 18:53

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 18:53
you can only please some of the people some of the time. Anything more is impossible.
FollowupID: 552742

Sponsored Links