Keeping dust out of Jayco camper

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 23:23
ThreadID: 54583 Views:14770 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hoping someone could give me some advice on their experiences of keeping out dust of my Jayco Hawk OB camper. I have read in other posts of sealing front and underneath. I would like it if someone knows how to or has put computer fans above fridge on the bench so the fridge can still get ventilated and no dust gets in.

Help would appreciated.

thanks Derek L
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Arielle - Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 23:56

Thursday, Feb 14, 2008 at 23:56
I suggest using gaffa tape while in transit. It looks a bit ugly but it's better than spending an hour wiping everything down when you arrive. Sorry I can't offer any help with the fans. It worked well with our Swan. Also helps to keep draughts from entering throught the door vents when the temperature plummets at night in winter.
Cheers,
Amanda.
AnswerID: 287546

Reply By: Blaze - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:24

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:24
Not sure with the Hawk but our Eagle used to get Dust in, I removed most of the covers EG: rear seat so I couls see the back joint and its 1mm gap, this was filled with silastic, also front locker has leaks everywhere, again silastic was used. As for the fridge, ours has the front bed directly above it when closed so fans would struggle to fit. I fitted a air flap that faces forward and pressurizes the unit. Most dust we now get is a little on the bench top. SWMBO wipes it with a damp cloth when we setup and its done.

Empty front locker and put house in and see amount of leaks...

Hope this helps
AnswerID: 287550

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:40

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 01:40
Hi Derek,

On my Dove I got some clear plastic sheeting like the stuff your windows in the camper are made of and then used adhesive sided velco and made covers for the vent on the door and the vent above the fridge. These can be added and removed in seconds and don't leave sticky marks from tape. (Just make sure you remove the one above the fridge when you setup. I don't even remove the one on the door)

Also make sure you leave the plug in the sink.

I also did what was mention above and went thru the the whole van and sealed any gaps with sealant.

Depending on how old your van is you may also want to replace the sealing tape around the door. Mine was very flat and didn't seal. The fibreglass roof seals may also need attention where it seals against the body when closed.

You'll never make it 100% dust proof but by doing the above you should have minimal dust entry (not visible to the eye......only a clean finger wiped along a bench)

Good luck.
AnswerID: 287553

Reply By: Anthony (Vic) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:54

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 08:54
A few things that we tried and learnt towing our Dove Outback.

We I wanted to run the fridge on 12v while towing, I didn’t cover over the fridge vents. What I did do to try to minimise dust getting throughout the camper via the fridge vents was to seal the hole cut in the side wall that the fridge 240v power cord goes through. In the Dove, doing this prevents lots of dust getting in with the knife and forks.

We did as other have suggested with covering the door vets with plastic and tape. Dust still got in, from the smallest of gaps. One was through the roof windup door on the front and the other was around the water tank fill area. I can’t see any holes around either of these but the dust was visible on the inside of both these areas.

In an attempt to help the fridge vent better, I had attached a computer fan that was suspended behind the upper rear section of the fridge, to push the hot air out. It did help until the dust and vibration stuffed the fan bearings after 3,000kms of tracks.

We travelled Nov 07 to Jan 08, after a day towing the fridge temp would be about 20C by the end of the day. When we stayed put running on either 240V or gas, the best the fridge would get down to was about 8C. There isn’t anything wrong with our fridge, it’s just it can’t handle the extreme long hot periods. We change our meals from fresh meat to canned meat.

cheers Anthony
AnswerID: 287573

Follow Up By: jeepthing - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 14:26

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 14:26
Anthony,

I had a similar issue with the fridge in my Penguin when the temp got on excess of 36. What I did to make it better was to remove the top venting grill when I struck those days my theory was that the vents are facing 45degrees downward and as you know hot air rises. The other thing I did was stuff insulation in the gaps along the sides of the fridge which stopped the hot air circulating along the sides, bottom and top. You'll notice there are sizable gaps there whuich allows the hot air to get in.

If there no wind around you can take the bottom one off too just have to be careful any wind doesn't blow out the flame!!

Anyway it worked much better as the heat buildup when you turn the gas up to cope with a higher outside temp can get quite high.

FollowupID: 552896

Follow Up By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:57

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:57
Anthony you don't need the vent on the bench top open if you are running off 12v and driving. The wind rushing past the outside wall vents is more than enough to keep the heat out. Definately need removed if running on 240v or gas and stationary.
FollowupID: 552909

Follow Up By: Arielle - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 22:19

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 22:19
We had fun up at Wonga beach near the Daintree last January with our 3 way. First the milk went off, then the veggies, the Cheese went mouldy..... Yuck! Hadn't been camping in the summer as we have only had the van since May. Suggest keeping all the meat in the freezer and thawing it out about 8 hours beforehand in the fridge. Or get a proper fridge and never stay anywhere without power!
FollowupID: 552942

Reply By: DIO - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 09:22

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 09:22
Have a Jayco Swan, fabricated a cover and use velcro to affix it on iside of door. No dust, easy to remove when setting up.
AnswerID: 287579

Reply By: pprass - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:51

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 13:51
We have a "dust scupper" (I thjink that's what they are called) in the roof that is supposed to pressurise the van and stop dust being sucked in when you flip it open. aven't had a need to use it yet, but we were wondering how do you pressurise a van when there are air vents all over the place? ie - door has two vents - one on the top and one on the bottom, there is the vent for the fan above the stove. The aircon has a vent and I think the hot water service has one as well.

Does the air forced in from the scupper have enough force to stop dust coming in from all of these vents? (and anywhere else that is not sealed)

Would be interested to know what peoples experience have been.
AnswerID: 287624

Follow Up By: Blaze - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 04:36

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 04:36
As mentioned above I use one of these Dust Scupper thingys in the roof and it seems to work a treat. I believe the principle is if as we all know the van has vents everywhere, but if this scoop in the roof is open all the vents are having air pushed out of them by the pressure coming in, hence less dust, (notice I didnt say no dust) LOL
FollowupID: 552983

Reply By: jeepthing - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 15:12

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 15:12
Derek L,

When the fridge is on 12v it doesn't create a lot of heat the 12v really just holds the fridge at a reasonable temp and certainly cannot be relied on to give the same performance as gas. So I made up 2 pieces of 3mm ply and cut them to the shape of the vent. However with the top one I cut it so it didn't go over the heat vent. I adhered rubber sealing strips to the board then screwed them through the plastic edge that is secured to the camper with self tappers whenever I go on dirt roads. I also stuffed insulation in the gaps around the fridge and sealed those cutouts where the 240v leads go through by simply cutting pieces of plastic from and ice cream container, drilled a hole for the lead then made a cut to the hole so I could get the lead into the hole, then stuck it with silicon, did the same thing on the bed side, I had a Penguin so this is probably diferent to yours.

For the door vent I made up another piece of ply and just made up some brackets for it to slide in, I did glue some rubber sealing strips on it to to get a good seal. For the door I cut 2 pieces of flat metal 25mm wide x 3mm thick x 100mm long and made 2 flat latches (I bent each end to make a handle of sorts). Drilled a hole on the middle and screwed them into the door frame one on the bottom and the other on the side down from the normal latch. When the door is shut I closed the latches over the doors edge and you will get a great seal if you do it right you will not get any dust in around that door...most of it gets in through that vent and the lower part of the door because it does not seal very well as the standard latch just doesn't give that. One thing I did do was to silicon pieces of plastic to the door and the latches to get a bit more pressure and to make sure the paint on the camper didn't get scratched. Anyway might have been a bit rough but it worked!!

The other thing I did was had my wife get a torch, at night of course, and shine it around the edges from the inside and outside when I saw any light I simply siliconed the gap. Also carried a tube with me and whenever I saw any hint of red dust it copped the treatment. I succeeded in eliminating 99.9% of dust ingression...the only bit that use to get in was through that heat vent but it had to be very bulldusty for it to happen and it would appear around that vent inside the camper on top of the fridge but that's where it stayed!!
AnswerID: 287630

Reply By: Member - Mottleman (NSW) - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:09

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:09
Gday
I have an outback eagle. I bought some genuine air conditioning filter material (that they use on the 'return air' grills) and took the jayco fridge vents off, cut to size plus 10mm and then put the grills back on. The grills hold the material in place. This material breathes very well and yet keeps 99.??% of dust out. At camp it is easy enough to take the grill off and shake any dust off from the day's driving.
cheers
John
AnswerID: 287639

Reply By: PradOz - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:40

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:40
try any of these forums

van forum 1

van forum 2

van forum 3

cheers mick
AnswerID: 287657

Sponsored Links