diesel additive to suspect or stored fuel

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 14:12
ThreadID: 5459 Views:5286 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Would there be a benifit to use additive when filling up at remote communities, or at the csr fuel dump? Previous threads on the forum debated the pros and cons of additive, but this particular question has not been discussed.
After the usual preparations for the big trip, which will include spare and additional fuel filters, my thoughts are that the use of an additive when filling up with suspect fuel is a good idea. Any thoughts?
Regards, cj
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 18:31

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 18:31
Most definately YES. I don't go bush without it. There was a good article in 4WD Monthly where they tested different ones. Basically no matter what you do diesel will always retain moisture and it's in the membrane between the water and the diesel that small micro organisms live and multiply. It is often refered to as algai in diesel. Addatives mix with the water and enable it to then mix with the diesel and burn, it also has chemicals to kill off these organisms. The best they found was WYNNS EDT which sells for $27 for 1lt , you use 50-100 ml at a time . It is usually not stocked so you would have to order it. It was found that it not only dispersed water and killed off naties but caused the little suckers to break into pieces small enough to go through the filter and burn. not all adatives did this and the dead organisms eventually turned up in the bottom of the tank as sludge.I would also invest in an aftermarket filter with a glass bowl and drain tap.
AnswerID: 22578

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 22:53

Sunday, Jun 15, 2003 at 22:53
Good one !! howesy come that i done 190 kms and not had a problem ???
FollowupID: 14925

Follow Up By: Ted G - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:51

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 12:51
I have used Fuel Set from WA in both a Range Rover 83 vintage and Toyota 80 series, the rangie had water and rubbish in the tank from a Cape York trip Fuel Set cleaned it all out. The Rangie was a carby and Toyota fuel injected model both petrol. But Fuel Set is designed for diesel. If travelling outback the additive is a must.
Regards
Ted
FollowupID: 14947

Follow Up By: howesy - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 19:58

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 19:58
Well steve 190km is not really far is it, I do more than that every day for work. Not all in ground tanks in the remote areas will have suspect fuel, however it is mainly only a problem in remote regions. You can be lucky and do a whole trip and not get any , but if you do and you have none of these addatives to help you out then I hope you have NRMA extra premium cover. The addatives wont hurt and will help reduce build up in the injectors but I consider it like insurance. Sure you can drive without it but if something goes wrong ??
FollowupID: 14979

Reply By: Member - Russell - Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 20:43

Monday, Jun 16, 2003 at 20:43
The issue of diesel quality is of interest to me, changing to a diesel truck and wanting to do some of the more remote regions in the near future. When I saw this post I rang our military fuels and lubricants experts to see if there was a way of minimizing or avoiding the problem of dodgy fuel. In short, there's no way of testing for bugs or filtering them out on the way into the tank, although you could get the resultant gunk out on the way in. There is a 'drip on the strip' test for one bug, but it's about $150 a pop - cutting edge stuff, but it might expand and come down in price. Testing for bugs is complicated and can only be done in the lab - you have to grow them etc. They also don't much go for additives, or the various debugging devices that are out there, since many are unproven and shall we say overstated in their beneficial effect. Note I'm not saying that anything above doesn't work! They rely almost entirely on good housekeeping to achieve good quality, and most of that relates to keeping water out of the fuel. If the drum stock is sealed and stored properly, without evidence of leaking etc, you should be OK. As we do with all aviation fuel every day, a sample of fuel from the bottom of the tank or drum will indicate the presence of water, and a 'clear and bright' test will show obvious impurities/gunk which show bugs are in the fuel. Their policy is if it doesn't look good, don't use it, but that's no help in the middle of nowhere at a fuel dump is it? The only additive they use is a product called Fireprep 1000, which gets rid of the water in the fuel, and allows it to be burnt.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 22698

Reply By: Member - Michael - Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 00:16

Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003 at 00:16
As Ted said fuel set is a really good product i dont go much for additives.But sell heaps of this and get nothing but good responeses from customers.Its made in WA by a company called liquid engineering.Is exported to 80 countries and is used by many trucking companies.It will break up the algea and micro organisms and will dissipate any water in to the fuel to be burnt.Its primarily made for diesels but is equally effective in petrols the 300ml bottle is about 8 bucks.Use a whole bottle in the first treatment then 20ml there after per tank.And no i dont work for liquid eng but am only to happy to rave about a locally made product that works.Mike Gotta get out there. Debbie and Mike
AnswerID: 22847

Sponsored Links