Map format for TomTom

Submitted: Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:15
ThreadID: 54601 Views:7060 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there, My name is Todd. I am a paramedic in the South East region of S.A. We have two gps units (HP iPAQ rx5965 travel companion's) with Tomtom navigator6.1. This UBD style mapping isn't covering some of the tracks and dirt roads we know are around and have to navigate through to get to patients from time to time. We also know that the CFS (Country Fire Service) has both book and cd regional mapping, that they use. The CFS are happy for us to use the digital mapping of the CFS maps on our gps system but do not know the format that the data needs to be in, to work on our units via the SD card. I am well aware of other 4wd digital maps etc that can be purchased, however we need to both be operating off the same maps in co-ordinated jobs eg vehicle accidents/difficult or isolated recovery/fire standbys. Can anyone please tell me the format these CFS maps need to be in, to work with the Tomtom system/software. Cheers, Todd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:29

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 16:29
Hello - I am 99.99% sure you cannot convert them. Your best bet will be to run OziExplorerCe at same time as the TomTom software. I think (but again not 100% sure) that a program called gpsgate (do google search) will let you split the gps data so that both programs can be run at once so you will have access to both sets of maps.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 287642

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:28

Friday, Feb 15, 2008 at 18:28
Hi ambocat, if you have the CD regional mapping Named

"Lower South East Map Book" , 217 MB this map goes as far north as Willalooka

they will run on Oziexplorer CE there is also the

"Riverland & Murray Mallee Map Book" , 471 MB stops just before Pathaway

I have been told you can also run both maps at the same time

Are both GPS units Ipac rx5965
AnswerID: 287655

Reply By: ambocat1 - Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 21:51

Saturday, Feb 16, 2008 at 21:51
Thanks to you both for your replies. Skipp you seem to have hit the nail on the head. The lower south east region map is the one we are trying to get done. I assume it is just a matter of installing the oziexplorerCE (once purchased) onto both gps units and copying the data straight from mapping cd to SD card for us to then be in business??
AnswerID: 287846

Follow Up By: Mauve - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 17:26

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 17:26
You need to convert the file to a ozf file for it to work with OziExplorerCE. Fortunately the conversion program is a free download from the oziexplorer website, the program is called Image to OZF. The file (map) shrinks down to about 165 Mb for the Region 5 Mapbook once converted and it works like an absolute charm. Also need to set Oziexplorer to use UTM and MGA94 Zone 54 for it to give correct grid coordinates. Its quite straight forward, just takes a little time. I did this on a ASUS PDA a couple of weeks back so if you have any trouble, post the question and I'll try to answer it.
FollowupID: 556789

Reply By: Mike Harding - Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 19:32

Friday, Mar 07, 2008 at 19:32
Hi Todd

I applaud your enthusiasm and assume this is something you are doing from your own initiative? But, to be honest, I'm a bit worried.

"In-car" GPS mapping is a relatively new technology and if it is to be used as a (the?) major facility to ensure an ambulance is able to navigate to it's destination correctly and in the shortest possible time then the technical details of such a system should be assessed and chosen by your technical people and not posted to an internet forum where they may be answered by people who, most likely, have little idea of the GPS system, it's limitations, the suitability of your devices and the specific needs of an emergency vehicle.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 291445

Follow Up By: ambocat1 - Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 18:58

Saturday, Mar 08, 2008 at 18:58
Thanks Mike, yes I appreciate your response and can quite easily say that there are many systems in place for us to locate the jobs that come in. We were specifically looking at this primarily as a back-up to our comm's people for jobs along fire tracks, forestry tracks and unofficial dirt roads. These jobs probably only account for a single digit number of cases per year and out of those both crews normally happen to drive out together as both are located in town limits, but as we must cater for the worst case scenario where there may be a mis-communication or multiple jobs (as might be experienced during a bush fire) then I would rather us (the ambo's) be able to rely on ourselves to get to a location with the minimal of fuss. I feel it is important to note that we carry the actual CFS map books in the ambulances as well as other town maps and guidance from our comm's. Its also worthy to note it isnt always easy to read a map when travelling at speed along bumpy roads too, lol! A few of us have our own personal gps units which really are only good for areas covered by the standard UBD, being able to use a gps system with the CFS maps in it, is being looked at by management for the future, we just want to be ahead of the game and provide the best service possible which to us starts with getting there within the most appropriate time.

Thanks again,

Todd
FollowupID: 556981

Sponsored Links